Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Instructor Summer/Autumn Course

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone!

So I've been seriously considering training to become a ski instructor for the upcoming season (2014/15) and I've decided that BASI is the best qualification for me (although I am still possibly thinking about CSIA). I would love to be able to do the course before the season gets into swing so that way i can hopefully work throughout the season. Firstly, does anyone know of/experienced any courses that run through the Summer/Autumn around the world? I've seen the peakleaders Saas Fea and Argentina courses and Snoworks Tignes/Courcheval course and they seem good, but has anyone been on any of these courses that could help me out?

Secondly, I'm slightly concerned that my skiing may not be good enough (although my mum says it is, but you know what mums are like!) It's a lot of money for me to spend if I end up just throwing it away right at the beginning becuase I'm not at the right standard. Basically, I've been skiing since i was 3 (I'm now 1Cool so I've done around 12 weeks skiing. But i stopped having lessons when i was 10 as i was always put into groups with older people and i hated it. Although that meant i was great for my age, it also meant that i stopped having lessons and so, although i have advanced since then, I havent had an actual lesson in a while. I can make my way comfortably down black runs but I'm not too confident on them when the conditions are dodgy. I love to carve on red and blues and I've recently begun to venture off piste, which i love. I'm quite a sporty person so I learn and adapt quickly, and i know my body is physically capable to handle all the skiing. But, is this level of skiing good enough would you say to be in with an alright chance of passing my BASI Level 2? I know that i could go to a trianing day on an indoor slope but I am really struggling for time.

Finally, (sorry for it being so longwinded, you are more than welcome to stop reading now!) I'm look to buy some skis. I'm 5ft9 and I want to start looking at park stuff a little more, but still be able to carve and do all the mountain. Any recommendations of ski, length, style etc? oh, and I'm a girl.

Thank you so much of you've managed to read all of this!!! x Razz
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you looked at the basi website, all this info is on there? As long as you are able to adapt your skiing and make the changes the trainer suggest then I see no reason why you wouldn't pass basi 1, basi2 is a big step up from that. You also need to do 70 hours of shadowing, 35 to get level 1 then another 35 once you have level 1 and before you sit the level 2 course.

There are level 1 courses all over, on the glaciers in mainland Europe, on snow in Scotland and at loads of the indoor domes all through out the UK, again info on the basi website, why don't you book on level 1 where you will get honest feedback about your level of skiing and take it from there.

Ski wise I would stick with carvers for the exams just now, sorry can't really help with other suggestions if you want something for mucking about with on your own as I have no clue about park skis. I skied the Volkl Bridge for a while which is marketed as a good all round ski and enjoyed it and it should be easier to ski now they have added rocker since I skied it, I guess anything similar, twin tipped around 90mm underfoot, about headheight would be a good bet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to SH's
Upload some footage of your skiing, you'll soon get told if you're at the standard Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many of the snowdomes do BASI preparatory courses which will give advice on whether your skiing is up to it and more importantly what you need to do to get it there.

My daughter did her BASI L1 when she was 16 and took advice on face value "that she would walk it" but actually found it pretty tough so I'd certainly advise getting checked out first.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks so much everyone! I'll have a look on BASI again but I'm thinking I may have to consider going to an indoor dome. I'm pretty confident that I'll pass BASI 1 but even with 6 weeks training after that and then the two week exam do you still think it will be a close call? I know it's difficult to ask when you havent seen me ski and I'll have to have a hunt around for a video of me skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hannah_Stan, Where are you based?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My stepson L did his BASI 1 and 2 in Treble Cone New Zealand with Rookie Academy over our summer in 2013. He was probably a better skier than you to start with. He said there was one lad on the course who had only skied about 4 weeks, but in fact that meant he had not had time to gets into any bad habits. He passed his BASI 2. I think there is a big jump between L1 and level 2, but the course is intensive and is designed to up your skill level accordingly.
L is now working his first season in Japan and having a great time.

Note that L needed to do the course using more piste orientated skis-his 90mm underfoot twin tips were not considered appropriate, so he bought some second hand skis out there. Bear this in mind if you are buying your own skis.

Next question- are you wanting to do the course because you really want to work as an instructor, or are you thinking about it as a lifestyle/gap year option? I only ask as that may have an impact on how, when and where you do the course.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
scooby_simon wrote:
Hannah_Stan, Where are you based?

I live near Sheffield
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Perty, Thanks for all those tips. I'm looking to do it for my gap year and then when Im at uni to work over the uni holidays. Then when i leave uni I'll hopefully do a year or two (i hope to have my ISIA by then) im looking to do it for about 7/8 years just as a winter thing (i cant have a boring 9-5 job, not that sort of person). So it wont be a one off, I jsut dont plan on doing it for the rest of my life.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the BASI website there are 2 separate week long courses running in Hintertux in July/August. They also run courses regularly indoors around the UK so it's worth checking that out.

I can't say anything about which course to do as I haven't done mine yet - I'm planning to do my Level 1 this summer in Hintertux. Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hannah_Stan,

I have read your questions and I really think you should drop me an email at info@SIAaustria.com

If this is something you wish to long term and not just as a one-off or GAP year then we really need to chat as you could be taking the wrong route into the industry, one which could end up costing you an awful lot of money with very little reward - I think you should know your options before you commit to anything.

I do hope you get in touch.

Gary
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy