Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solo beginner skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there! I have always wanted to learn to ski and no one I know is remotely interested. They've either been before with their partners and don't want to go again or are just not interested. I have seen a package deal for L2A which looks quite good and I don't even mind paying the single supplement. I am hesitating because of a couple of reasons and questions. Firstly I have read variable reviews about L2A, does anyone have any advice regarding whether it is a good place to learn as a complete beginner? Both Mark Warner and Neilson both recommend it as a place to begin should I just ignore the negative opinions? Secondly I am an asian girl and always get asked why am I travelling alone, most places I travel, even Asia. I know this might sound stupid but it has bothered me the last couple of times I travelled! It's usually men but also women asking why I'm alone. I think maybe Asian girls don't travel alone much or there's an image they're not supposed to, or something, I have no idea. I don't want this to stop me from doing something I really want to do, and I am hoping the skiing and snowboarding commnuity might be a bit more chilled out and open-minded. I usually have no problem meeting new people and making friends but I am still finding the idea of going skiing on my own a bit daunting, hence I looked at packages. Do you think I should just book the holiday and go? Should I do more research into where I go? I had wanted to go to Meribel or Chamonix (I wanted to try paragliding in the latter) but am getting overwhelmed with trying to research it and and book it myself. So that's why I went to a package company. Any advice or opinions would be most welcome. Thanks in advance. Blush
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fishdisco, Welcome to Snowheads Happy When are you going? L2A beginner slopes are at resort level and could get a little slushy later in the season. The next step is the Cretes at 2100m where there are near beginner slopes and after that there are plenty of fairly gentle slopes higher up. What you probably wont want to do is ski back to resort from Cretes or higher, there is a long winding green but it isn't very pleasant. This is probably the basis of any criticism of it as a beginner resort. It's not really a problem though as you can easily get a lift down.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh and there is parascending there too, is that the same as paragliding?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fishdisco, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Well done for pursuing your dream, regardless of what other people think.

Les Deux Alpes is a good place to learn as long as you are happy to download in a lift at the end of the day (I often do, and have been skiing for years).

However, as you are travelling alone you might be interested to look at the holidays at French UCPA centres marketed in the UK by Action Outdoors. They include everything - lessons, equipment, full board, lift pass and (depending on the centre) transfers and/or coach travel.

They don't have beginner groups every week at every centre, but the website is pretty clear.

Lots of people go to UCPA as singles - some centres only have single sex dorm rooms, others have double rooms which couples can book at a supplement. I have no idea whether you could book one of those, at a supplement, just for yourself, if you don't fancy a dorm room - but even if that supplement was very high for a single the whole holiday would probably still be a lot cheaper than the likes of Mark Warner and you might find the company more congenial - lots of young people, of lots of different nationalities. I think you'd find the whole thing "chilled out and open-minded".

If you are looking at France, wait till after mid March - the slopes will be less busy then, as the school holidays will have finished.

There's a 5% discount code for UCPA somewhere - you could probably find it with a search. If not, someone will find it for you! There are also discounts for students.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Claude B - thank you so much for your replies. Oh I should have said more detail. I want to go really soon, like 1/2nd March and this is the package I have found. Would L2A slopes be okay then? I would have also considered other resorts/ countries, but am really getting overwhelmed with the research. Like If I want to go to Chamonix, how do I figure out which accommodation and ski school and whether it is easy to get to the equipment place and where the lessons start? Sorry to sound like such an inexperienced baby. I have never been on a package holiday of any kind as I usually hate this but since I don't have anyone to go with and have never skiid I thought it might to help to have a rep. Thank you for the detailed description of the slope, I have no idea what it all means. I don't want to go on an long winding places on my own? Do you think I'd be able to do some skiing on my own after lessons only in the morning? Sorry again to sound like a baby! I don't know what parascending is? Does anybody know? Blush

Pam w - thank you so much for this detailed information about UCPA, I will have a look as cheap would be good. I only looked at those companies because they seem to have quite a monopoly on skiing packages. Really I would rather organise it myself as I mentioned but I am getting too overwhelmed by the information.... Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fishdisco, Slopes will be fine but it will be very, very busy. French school holidays run from next week through to 14th March. Best to wait until 15th March really when it will be much quieter. I shall be there then, 1st day of a 6 week visit Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On the other points. Are you anywhere near a dryslope or indoor snowdome? It wouldn't do any harm to have some lessons before going. That way you would definitely be able to do more skiing after your lessons in resort. Otherwise yes you still would but it would be more limited.

Sounds like you're young and should pick it up fairly quickly, no reason why you shouldn't be able to get around the slopes quite well by the end of the week Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fishdisco, Claude B is right about the crowds. One of the worst things about skiing is the lift queues and they will be bad during French school hols.

I entirely understand your wish to get a package rather than try to put a holiday together yourself, it's not easy (and Chamonix is not a good choice of resort for a single beginner travelling independently). One Action Outdoors option, as an example; 15 March, Les Arcs, full time instruction, all kit, ski pass, full board, coach from London, £855. That's a real bargain. Mark Warner will cost you a lot more, I bet.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi fishdisco and welcome to the wonderful world of skiing Smile

I am no expert, having just got back from my second full week on the snow, but here are my thoughts:

Both my full weeks have been packages with Crystal (as we happened to find cheap and convenient deals), but I don't see any reason why you shouldn't sort out your trip yourself if you'd prefer to. We didn't use the services of our reps at all either holiday and barely even saw them (nothing wrong with the service they provided - we just didn't need it!). It's easy to book lessons, ski hire, etc directly through the ski schools/hire companies (as opposed to tour operators) so don't worry about that aspect. You will find many recommendations for ski schools on here, and when you book lessons they will always tell you where to meet - but if in doubt, ask on here as someone will know exactly how to get there, how long it'll take you and so on.

I'm sure you'd be absolutely fine skiing by yourself in the afternoons if you're planning to have lessons in the mornings (which sounds an excellent idea, and to me would be much more important than having the services of a rep). Even though both my holidays have been with my partner, he is at a very different standard from me (snowboarder with many weeks under his belt, while I'm a fairly cautious, slow, 2-and-a-bit-week skier) so even though we obviously skied/boarded together sometimes, we also spent a fair bit of time apart so we could enjoy different kinds of terrain at our own different paces - which was great for both of us, even me on my first week. During your lessons, your instructor will take you around suitable pistes, which you can then go back and explore on your own in the afternoons - you don't have to commit to anything too scary or anywhere you haven't been before Smile If you are having group lessons, you'll be meeting other people of a similar standard and you may well find that you end up skiing with them outside of your lessons.

If you do have time before you go (and I realise this may not be possible in the next couple of weeks!), I'd recommend getting a lesson or two in the UK, at either a snowdome or a dry slope. Even if you can only fit in one short lesson, at least you will learn how to put boots/skis on if nothing else - less to learn on holiday!

Pam's suggestion of UCPA sounds good - I have no experience but they seem to be highly rated on here and definitely very good value. But whatever you do, have fun and be prepared to become addicted snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am near Tamworth snowdome but I looked at the price and thought I'd rather spend the money on extra lessons at the resort. I will consider your advice though. Oh I am not that young!! Ha ha. Probably old enough to be nervous, and young enough to feel like learning something new that I always wanted to try. Thanks for the info on the school holidays. I may try to avoid it if I find a good deal for later. I saw one beginner week on 23rd March. You will be in L2A?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cross-posted with Claude B, but same views about lessons! Just to add, I had a few lessons before going on my first holiday and I was really glad I'd done so.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fishdisco, Yes I'll be there!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pam w - thank you so much for telling me about action-outdoors and UCPA. I will definitely check it out right now.

Catclaires - thank you so much for all your valuable advice. It's really good to know others' experiences.

I am getting excited about it now! Blush
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Claude B - I do not know how to send PMs here. I am guessing like most people here you are an experienced skier if you are going for 6 weeks! Hope you have fun!!

Taking on board advice about lessons beforehand, but it was about £170 I think for a one day course... wouldn't I be better off spending that on may be some extra 1-1 lessons when I am there? Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmm, £170 does sound v expensive - I can understand why you'd be reluctant to spend that amount. I paid less than half that for my one-day snowdome lesson, but it was in summer so was heavily discounted. Maybe check out some of your local dry slopes? My nearest offered 4.5 hours of beginner lessons for £35 all of last season (it does market itself as the cheapest dry slope in the country, but still)! My experience of the dry slope is also that it's a very friendly, welcoming place (I've heard this about other dry slopes too), so you may enjoy it. (It's definitely a harder surface to ski on than real snow, but it makes snow seem nice and easy afterwards!)

If you can afford 1-1 lessons in resort, you will find them excellent for quick progression. I had a 3-hour private lesson in December and learned an amazing amount! However, group lessons are fun, and nice for meeting people, so they have advantages too...I guess it's worth pricing up all the different lesson options both in resort and in the UK before you decide.

Not very decisive, sorry!
snow report
Hi
Another UCPA endorsement from me.
I travelled solo over new year and had a fantastic time, and the lessons, food, accommodation and general atmosphere was great, I went to la plagne. Which was brilliant. I too was quite nervous about lone travelling, but needn't have worried, met some great people in my room and classes, and am a total ucpa convert!
snow report
Thanks Damianowen7! Everyone here is so friendly, I do not know why I was worrying about and mentioning some stupid irrelevant issues about this trip. This is what happens if you do not travel for a long while and have experienced some closed-mindedness before.... I think I will definitely do more research about the organisations recommended, UCPA and action outdoors. Catclaires where did you go with Crystal if you don't mind my asking, and thanks I might shop around for the dry slope or snowdome lessons but I am still thinking I should save my money for lessons when I go there.
latest report
If on your own, I'd stick in group lessons, you may well find someone to ski with in the afternoons (Personally I would never recommend skiing alone, it's very possible to fall and need a bit of help, even if you don't hurt yourself - collecting poles/the map you dropped/helping you up after you recover from the giggles/helping you sort out your skis and click in etc. Lots of people do ski alone and skiers are in the main very helpful to solo's in trouble, but it wouldn't be my first choice).

I'm very much not an LDA fan but for a first holiday you won't notice the problems, just don't be tempted to try and ski home from on the mountain and it would be great. The nursery slopes are good. It contains lots of friendly brits which might help. I am not sold on pre-holiday lessons unless you can get some <£50 - they can be expensive and if you are fit and enthusiastic you'll be fine learning on arrival - most people always have!

Good luck! aj xx
snow report
Oh, I have looked on UCPA and where it says 'level of intensity' there doesn't seem to be an option on the list for a beginner. I searched a few of the deals that came up for the dates I can go, and they all said the deal was for every level except beginners. Does anyone know how I can search for a beginner course? Are all the accommodations for UCPA dorms? This is fine but I just wondered. Puzzled
ski holidays
A.j. Thanks, if not a L2A fan please share any recommendations for a complete beginner. But as you say I won't notice the criticisms if it is the first time I am going anyway.
snow report
Tignes and val di'sere have full time beginners courses available on those dates £707 -£737 including full times lessons, lift pass, ski hire, full board. If you use the Discount code DS2010 you get a tenner off!
There are half time lessons in l2a that say they cover beginners.
Don't be shy about ringing action outdoors, they were very helpful for me in picking a resort and centre that met what I wanted to get out of my trip!
You may have guessed but I'm now a massive fan of them!
snow report
Actually a quick browse and all the half time ski courses at all their resorts say suitable for beginners apart from tignes, who seem to just have the separate beginners package
snow conditions
fishdisco, some UCPA centres have double rooms, but as I said above I'm not sure whether you can pay a supplement and have one to yourself. As Damianowen7 says, given Action Outdoors a ring. If money is tight I agree with a.j. - just learn when you get there.

On a first trip I think it would be worth going for full time lessons - you'll make very rapid progress that way.

Do you do other sports? It's worth spending a few weeks getting fit for skiing especially if you don't normally do a lot of sport.
latest report
The above is off the action-outdoors website
http://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/activities/search-results
The ucpa site is French and some of the translation isn't very clear
snow report
I rather like andorra for beginners, also montgenevre, la rosiere, passo tonale or livingo, flaine but honestly almost anywhere will do. (Notable exceptions imo include val d'isere which is tricky in too many places and chamonix which has to much bussing/walking)

UCPA flaine 15th march is running for all levels, in late march val thorens might also be a good bet - I'd give action outdoors a call and see what they suggest, they know their stuff.

ucpa have twins, not sure about singles!

aj x
ski holidays
Thank you so much Damianowen for the link and looking for me.

Pam w - I am a swimmer (and also was a climber (indoor)) but have been off with a shoulder injury for ages, so I am not so fit right now. The shoulder pain has almost recovered in the time I was off from swimming and climbing. Am working on my fitness at the moment though, with resuming swimming but am certainly far from peak fitness. I was wondering about fitness so I am glad you mentioned it. It is a bit of a worry!! Maybe I should only book half day instruction to prevent the risk of the lack of fitness. I would have to specify with the action-outdoors package beforehand.

I will call action-outdoors tomorrow. I just found out there is a slight possibility someone (a non-skier) may come with me. If there is the option of a double room that would be good. If I am actually by myself I wouldn't want to be the only one with my own room in a centre where most people share in dorms, as it might not seem social. But having said that I am in my early 30s and I don't know if I am too old for a dorm situation. The last time I did that was when I went backpacking in Italy some 9 years ago. It really does look like a great centre though with lots of socialising. I will take a look at the weeks aimed specifically at solos.
ski holidays
Hi again, of course I don't mind - am happy to help if I can! I have been to France both times with Crystal: Alpe D'Huez for my first week (mainly chosen because there are lots of wide green runs in the 'bowl' above the main resort) and have just returned from La Tania in the 3 Vallees (lovely area - lots of nice greens, blues and also reds, which I'm just beginning to progress to). I enjoyed both resorts a lot, and also had great lessons in both - feel free to ask more if either of them ever end up on your radar Smile
snow report
Thanks Catclaires I will ask you further if I look at those places. One of the package companies mentioned Alpe D'Huez but like I said I am currently getting a bit overwhelmed by all the information when looking myself. They said Alpe D'Huez was prettier than L2A but then I couldn't find anything there.

Action-outdoors deals look very good. When I have sifted through those and decided what to do I will update. In the meanwhile any further advice, opinions and experiences are much appreciated. Thank you all so much for your kindness xxx
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No problem
I had so much help and advice from this site when I was looking to book as well. I think pamw helped me too!
With the age thing, I am 31 and was the youngest in my room over new year.
latest report
fishdisco, you're definitely not too old, don't worry about that!
snow report
Oh thank you so much pamw! I will not worry about that now then. You guys in here are absolutely wonderful and have helped my thought process regarding skiing so much xxx
ski holidays
I have a group including free lessons in courchevel on 15 march. We are all single travellers and include some beginners, the group has all age groups and all abilities. There is just one female share left. Please contact me ruth@singlesport.com best wishes Ruthl
snow conditions
Not sure I can make that date but I have emailed you for more details. Thanks !
snow report
Hi fishdisco,

Don't worry at all about travelling alone - it's much more common than you think (we run a holiday company and loads of people book as solos) - and ignore anyone being negative about it. I've done quite a bit of travelling on my own too and I've had plenty of comments about it (I'm not asian but am female too so might be that??). Might sound selfish but I love that you can pick exactly what you want to do and not have to compromise with other people!

My advice for ski holidays as a few other people has said is to book group beginner lessons. It's more fun learning with other people and you'll progress faster in lessons than just trying for yourself - the first few days can be a bit frustrating till you get the hang of it and it's good to see that other people are falling over too!

It is also worth looking at chalet accommodation rather than hotels. In chalets everyone sits round the same table for dinner etc so it's really easy to meet other people and get some ski tips from some of the better skiers.

Hope you find something that suits and that you have a great holiday!
snow conditions
hi fishdisco welcome to the forum and hope you are looking forward to your new way of life.

With regards to travelling alone to be honest its your choice and your choice as to whether or not you tell people. Depends on the situation. If its a really fit bloke that you fancy go for the sob story. Boyfriend just dumped you the day before the holiday etc etc. If its someone you want to get rid of then i can think of a whole list of things lol.

All joking aside i would highly recommend if you have a local indoor ski dome with artifical snow go there for some lessons before you go away. Most people i know that give up on skiing after 1 holiday is that they spent all week on their backside or walking sideways up a tiny slope whilst 4 year olds went whizzing past them and it cost me a fortune and i didnt even go up the mountain.... Even if you only have a dry slope nearby get some lessons in before hand. Once you are there and go up your first mountain properly and down it hopefully you will be hooked on skiing.

Lessons while you are there. As you are travelling alone i would highly recommend you go for group lessons. You obviously wont learn as quickly but there are other benefits. Cheaper and also company. You find in group lessons there are normally other people on their own or in a mini group that after the lesson you all stay together and have a days skiing. It also gives you people to interact with after the day of skiing is over. with your group be strong if it is not right for you. i hear many people saying i was the only english person in the group they spoke german all day and ignored me etc. i have had this with my children and have gone to the ski school and moved them to an english group or mixed nationality that all speak English. Nothing worse than a group lesson in a language you dont understand you will simply be annoyed and frustrated.

What ever you go for enjoy.
ski holidays
pam w, you seem very knowledgeable about UCPA action outdoors, I have booked to go to the val thorens UCPA prior to the EoSB, have you been there? Are there many English speaking people there, or is it mostly French?
snow report
speachmaus, no, I'm far too old for UCPA. wink My daughter and son in law have been to a couple - but not Val Thorens. There are a lot of non-French people, according to their experience and reports on SHs but not necessarily British. Many (especially the Scandinavians) speak good English, though. The international flavour of UCPA is one of the things that appeals to many people.
snow conditions
speachmaus, would love to hear how you find the val Thoren ucpa, toying with that one for next new year. There's very little in terms of reviews for that one but it has been recently refurbished!
There were plenty of Brits in la plagne over the new year, and the French guys there were so welcoming.
snow conditions
Hi Fishdisco, I'm also a solo female skier (beginner ish) and I'm looking for someone to join me 22-29th march in Wengen, Switzerland. You want to come along?Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy