Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Using a French crèche -questions

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, we're off to the Alps this weekend- we're all incredibly excited, and wishing it was Friday now!

We're a family of four, with a 6 year old who is having lessons and a 2 year old, who we feel is too small for lessons. To allow my wife and I to ski together, we're keen to pop our 2 year old into a local crèche , and we could use some advice:

Do the crèches you've used previously generally speak English as our daughter doesn't speak French and we'd rather she was able to understand what's going on and feel comfortable. Also, the websites of the crèches we've looked at all state that they require a Health card or health book- I'm not quite sure what that is, any thoughts on what it is or where I could get hold of one at short notice?

TIA for any advice you can give!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
M535man, left it a bit late for the questions?

My experience of the only French creche I have used (La Giettaz) was that it was fab on every level I could have wanted. Friendly, flexible, child wanting to go etc. Didnt have any query re. a health card?

Have you done a ski hol with the kids before?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
M535man, depends where as to whether they will speak English really. Re. The health card thing, take her 'Red Book' maybe to be on the safe side, do they still have those though? Mine is 9 and had one.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi! We've used the same creche in Oz en Oisans for the past two seasons. My youngest is just turning three next week. The ladies there only speak a tiny bit of English, but that has never been a problem for my little'un at all.

You will need to take a vaccination record (i.e. your red book), and we had to have a letter from our GP stating that there was no family history of TB, as here in the UK we don't vaccinate against TB until the kids are much older.

If you have mislaid your red book, just get your GP to give you a printout of the kids' vaccination records.

The creche we have used has been wonderful, but Oz en Oisans is a teeny tiny village. i do believe that French creches in general are pretty good though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Doesn't the creche state it's requirements on the website and booking form? Might be worth phoning them if not. In my experience creches have a fairly comprehensive list of things you need to drop off with your child.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The resort creches we used always had someone who spoke english (useful to talk to us) but really at 2 I would have thought it would be good to immerse your daughter in a French speaking environment. They cope remarkably well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

here in the UK we don't vaccinate against TB until the kids are much older.

I dont think we vaccinate any more unless in inner-city or individual perceived risk
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great, thanks!
We'll take the red book thing (if we can find it!)

Agreed its a little late, but its only just occurred to us, it won't be the end of the world if we can't use a crèche, but it would be great to get some time for just the two of us, even a couple of hours Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
(my 12 year old was vaccinated at birth for inner city Manchester but the 7 year old wont be vaccinated to my knowledge) just as an interesting aside to the OP
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
M535man, where are you going?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We're going to Val d'Allos - never heard of it before and it looks quite small but we got a great deal, which with the new rules on te time holidays makes the difference between going skiing this year or not.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
M535man, I skied in Le Seignus a few years ago, in Val d'Allos and loved it. VERY French though and I think you'll be lucky to find an English-speaking creche there. We did have an English-speaking ski instructor for our two sons which was very lucky, and only because she had just returned to the area after a few years teaching in Canada. Just so you are prepared.........

And yes, the health info they will want IS your red book. Enjoy, it's a lovely area and the skiing is great
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fantastic, we're in la foux, and we've booked an English speaking ski instructor. Can't wait!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
M535man, La Foux is just a couple of minutes away from Le Seignus on the little gondola which goes between the two, and is where the boys' ski school took place so perhaps the same for your 6 year-old. There's a little lunch place to the side where you can watch them, plus a pharmacy, supermarket etc.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah that makes sense, the ski school is called Agora, and I know they have an office in la Foux by the cinema, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the school is in Le Seignus.

I've been studying the piste map and Le Seignus looks to be in a different time zone, so it's great to know that it's pretty close by! Thanks Happy
snow report
We used one in Vaujany and they could not get their heads round the fact our kids weren't vaccinated for TB. We ended up having to get our GP to fax a letter to the nursery confirming that they hadn't had it but that it wasn't recommended in the U.K routinely. I think we took our red books as well
snow report
Just to add to the Red Book required comments

Our daughter was in Creche in Vallandry, not a lot of English spoken but enough that she was included in activities
snow conditions
Hi M535man,

Each creche has it's own regulations but most french creches will need vaccination record and proof of insurance. Either call them or the tourist office to check the exact requirements.

It's likely that they will understand some basic English (toilet, drink etc) as everyone in France learns English at school and in my experience most creches in tourist areas are used to having foreign kids and therefore adept at eg organising activities without having too much verbal explantion. At two it's unlikely that she'll struggle with fitting in even if there is a language barrier - in general it bothers young kids a lot less than adults.

However, if your daughter has any allergies/health issues etc etc you should get these translated into French and written down before you go - including a detailed explanation.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy