Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Numbered piste marker posts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I always used to think the numbers were 100m markers and in some resorts this seems about right (many pistes in Tignes, for example).

A couple of weeks ago in PDS we came across a piste that had numbers every 30m at one point. It seemed almost a joke.

Are they meant to be at 100m intervals?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not aware that there is any rule about it, but a few years ago in January we got caught in a white-out (dense cloud and falling snow) on an unfamiliar piste in Les Crosets and it was only the piste markers that enabled us to find our way down. If they had been 100m apart there is no way we would have been able to see the next one. So perhaps they are closer on pistes that are susceptible to white out?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 11-02-14 15:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is no rule to the distance between signs. It's just so that you can tell ski patrol "I'm at marker number 9" if you break yourself.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
its pretty much only a french thing too
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

its pretty much only a french thing too

yes - I didn't realise this. Started down a piste in Italy at no 62 last week, thought "this is going to be a long one" then realised they all said 62 - that was the name of the piste.

I do think numbered markers are quite useful, actually, not only for the good reason stevomcd gives but also it's a rough gauge of how long the piste is, and how far down you are. I've sometimes been unable to see from one piste marker to the next even with the poles quite close together. Frequent markers, and numbers, are invaluable in very poor conditions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also in France the piste markers on the right-hand side of the piste (Skier's POV) have orange tops - also a useful reference in a true whiteout!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Austrian/Italian ones have longer orange bars on left, short on right, for whiteout orientation.
Except in Arabba, where the snow was so deep the poles were submerged enough that it was not possible to distinguish (at least on the black run). Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They number pistes in Austria and Germany too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
biddpyat wrote:
They number pistes in Austria and Germany too.

Yes, but the poles at the side all have the piste number on them (if they have anything). There are no markings to indicate how far down the piste you are.

The OP was talking about the system in French resorts where the poles have consecutive numbers (numbered up from the bottom I believe).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Right I get you, I seldom notice what is marked on them anyway, Lol,
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The numbers are so can can tell the emergency people where a incident has occured on piste ... I thought so they can get there as fast as poss
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i thought they put them in strategic points to point out corners , turns etc etc tho I'm probably overthinking it
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The ones in Germany are at strategic points, the colour of the piste, the number of the piste and then a small number underneath. So on that point I thought that it was like you so that piste patrol could get to a point fairly fast. I never thought it was marking the distance because sometimes they can be higgledy piggledy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As a newbie to France I liked this feature on the pistes. I had guessed it would be in case of emergencies etc
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy