Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Madonna Di Campiglio anyone been?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all we were going to go to big white/silver star for two weeks but Linda has work commitments so it might be tricky, so we are thinking of europe for a week. We went to Wengen last year and loved it, we were going to go again this season, and still would be happy to, but I do like the idea of a brand new place as this will only be our 5th ski holiday and there are so many nice places to see. Our criteria is a resort that has an attractive little town and it must have stunning scenery as Wengen takes some beating. It also must have nice cruising tree lined runs as we aren't into steep scary stuff! Does Madonna suit what we are looking for? Is it best to do a DIY or a package? Fast track ski have got some offers at the moment, eg.hotel Gianna 4* one week half board for£584, savioa palace 4* £601, hotel Lorenzetti and hotel Ideal both about £615 half board are these good deals and are they good hotels. Any help and advice would be appreciated, does it matter where in the town you stay for the lifts, i have read it is a bit spread out is this the case. Also when you are on the slopes are the different areas easy enough to get to i mean just the madonna slopes as there are a few different sections i think, or is it easy to go from area to area. Thanks in advance sorry there are so many questions
Andy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been to Maddona 3 times in the last 5 yrs and have stayed at the Relais Des Aples and also Hotel Milano. Out of the two i would recommend stayting at the Milano as its suituated in the centre, Piazza Righi and its also very near the Cable car. Even the other cable car is only 5-10min walk.
http://www.relaisdesalpes.it/ http://www.campigliohotelmilano.it/ing/hotel.php

Map of Madonna http://www.campiglio.to/ing/pagine_campiglio/interne/dove_siamo/come_arrivare.html#

Hotel Savoi is in a very good location and a very nice Hotel as freinds of mine have stayed there and again its in the centre of the village and close to the lifts.
I would try booking through Inghams as they are very good. www.inghams.co.uk

As for the scenery and tree line runs you wont go wrong going there. The Brenta Dolomites have great scenery and also the ski area is huge if you get the whole are ski pass. http://www.skirama.it/

David
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Only skied there for a day, but Id have no hesitation in returning.

The jagged pink (coral) limestone peaks that surround the area are the match of any mountain scenery in Europe.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, four times and will go again next Xmas (2006). A good intermediate should be able to ski everything in the resort, also in Folgarida and Marilleva (sp?) which are linked. Lift pass system is electronic (and has been ever since I first went there 6 years ago).

If you go, be sure to have lunch at Cascina Zeledria (you should probalbly book). You ski over to it from the piste, and they tow you back up on the back of a sno-cat.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its a good area in general, Passo Tonale is just up the road in addition to the other linked areas but needs a car really. The individual areas don't exactly advertise the fact that just over the hill there's another resort. We went for a long weekend and it was day 2 before we realised Folgarida existed, there didn't seem to be a complete area map.

Also recommend Cascina Zeledria for lunch, good food and an unusual tow back to the piste.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Its a good area in general, Passo Tonale is just up the road in addition to the other linked areas but needs a car really. The individual areas don't exactly advertise the fact that just over the hill there's another resort. We went for a long weekend and it was day 2 before we realised Folgarida existed, there didn't seem to be a complete area map.

Also recommend Cascina Zeledria for lunch, good food and an unusual tow back to the piste.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for that it all sounds very positive, no one answered my question about getting around madonnas slopes, is it easy enough or are they too spread out?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andyarmitage, It is all linked by lifts within the resort, no hiking required so in that sense there's no problem, but it is a bit strung out and a bit of zig zagging up and down lifts is needed to get from one end to the other, the lifts don't all go out from a single point iin the middle of the town so a small amount of planning your route helps.

There's another small area Pinzolo up the road but I don't know about how you get there without a car, I assume there are buses. Madonna isn't huge ski area, personally I'd DIY and get a hire car and go tick off some of the other places around. Guess it depends how much ski mileage you do.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rich do you know when or if there is an Italian national holiday as we were thinking of going on saturday the 26th of feb but i'm not sure about half term dates national holidaydates etc thanks.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
andyarmitage wrote:
Thanks for that it all sounds very positive, no one answered my question about getting around madonnas slopes, is it easy enough or are they too spread out?

Getting around the slopes is very easy and they are all connected both sides of the valley at Campo Carlo Magno with out any walking at all. There is a bridge at the bottom with a conveyer belt to take you across the road. Also the piste map is very easy to follow.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I stayed at the Hotel Gianna last year.

Lovely hotel with wonderful spa facilities. It's a little bit out of the way...they have a bus that runs you to the bottom of the main run though (or if you have a car you can drive).

Nice resort - had some great skiing there (including the 'experte' piste down to the car park area - can't remember the name).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the advice
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andyarmitage, Almost forgot, my brother in law stayed there in the summer for a week and loved the place. Said food was outstanding everywhere. When asked what the scenery was like he did say that he wasn't impressed. He wasn't impressed by the walkking either. In defense of Madonna di Campiglio I should mention that poor fellow does have MS and is registered as blind Crying or Very sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks frosty, sorry to hear that. The food is a major issue for us as we like good food and we have been to america, austria, and switzerland and the food in all these places has been awful. I know you get the odd night that you like the evening meal but i mean the odd one night, we went to wengen last year half board and one evening we were given ostrich steak! it was literally pulsating blood out, i'm convinced a good vet would have had it on it's feet in no time!! So Italy appeals as we love italian food so that does sway me but i'm sure the place and scenery will be great. I have to decide wether to book the hotel Diana 3 star or the savioa palace 4 star there is £300 difference for the pair of us between the two, problem is i can't find any reviews on either hotel so don't know what to do really!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hopefully I'll make a day trip from passo tonale, was there a few years ago and really loved the place
latest report
Madonna represents one of my rare forays into European skiing.

I have to say I was underwhelmed (mainly because there wasn't any snow: it might be a lot more fun if everyting was white instead of just a few manmade ribbons. The link to Folgarida wwas closed due to lack of snow. - They had a load of cannons, but weren't using them despite continuous sub-zero temperatures. Most odd). If you go, then wait and see if they've got any snow and book last-minute. The skiing was relatively undemanding, and the general standard of the skiers on the mountain was low.

Good things: Food, shops and scenery - although frustrating to see the Austrian mountains in the distance all covered in snow.

You can rent a locker at the base of the Spinale gondola, and keep your equipment there: this is well worth doing, since it then means you don't have to tromp around town in ski boots, or lug skis vast distances to and from hotels.
ski holidays
Thanks acacia so you think it best to book last minute after checking the snow, we went to wengen last year and didn't wait until last minute but luckily the snow was superb.
snow conditions
Acacia wrote:

I have to say I was underwhelmed (mainly because there wasn't any snow: it might be a lot more fun if everyting was white instead of just a few manmade ribbons. The link to Folgarida wwas closed due to lack of snow. - They had a load of cannons, but weren't using them despite continuous sub-zero temperatures. Most odd). If you go, then wait and see if they've got any snow and book last-minute. The skiing was relatively undemanding, and the general standard of the skiers on the mountain was low.

Good things: Food, shops and scenery - although frustrating to see the Austrian mountains in the distance all covered in snow.

You can rent a locker at the base of the Spinale gondola, and keep your equipment there: this is well worth doing, since it then means you don't have to tromp around town in ski boots, or lug skis vast distances to and from hotels.

I was there a few yrs ago, Jan 2001, and there wasn't any real snow but most of the slopes were open, even the link to Folgarida. The snow making was very good and i was amazed how good it was. I couldn't tell tell difference.
I dont know how long ago you were there but the snow cannons were in full use when i was there that year.

Just looked at the webcams for Madonna and its looking very good for this season so far.

http://www.campiglio.it/webcam/
http://www.campiglio.it/webcam/piazzarighi.htm
ski holidays
the whole attitude seems to be different in Italy. Not so grimly serious as much of France. I'd love to try Madonna, it sounds great IF there is proper snow. Skied for a day in Cortina - didn't have long, so skipped lunch, and enjoyed three hours of empty slopes whilst the Italians indulged. Very crowded cable car and significant queues. I was DIY, and it wasn't really a ski trip as my companions didn't ski, but I made mistake of booking late and found hotels all round Cortina choc a block. Found an obscure local hotel about 12 km from Cortina by chance - asked the Cortina ski school for suggestions, by email. I think we were the first Brits ever to stay there, if my vestigial Italian was correct. Full of Italian families, three generations, absolutely no "apres ski" but a friendly atmosphere. Food OK, not spectacular. Check on Italian holiday dates and don't, as I did, take it for granted that you can easily book late (mid March). I expect Madonna does the "passiagata", like Cortina, around 4 - 6pm, expensive coffee and cakes and more mink coats than you can shake a ski pole at. Very entertaining.
snow report
Acacia wrote:

They had a load of cannons, but weren't using them despite continuous sub-zero temperatures. Most odd). If you go, then wait and see if they've got any snow and book last-minute. The skiing was relatively undemanding, and the general standard of the skiers on the mountain was low.

Water shortage - not enough in the reservoirs due to a dry summer.
latest report
pam w,

Just watch out for those Italians AFTER they've had their lunch. Mrs A was totalled by one who was in no shape to ski, on a crowded piste, and she still bears the scar.
latest report
Snow looking good for Madonna this yr
snow report
Yes and also for the Dolomites!! Yippy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy