Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere - would we be bored??

Poster: A snowHead
Would a group of good intermediates who do like to cover the miles have enough to do in La Rosiere for 6 days skiing?
As we would be driving we would have cars - are there any reorts linked or close by to ski also??
We usually ski 3V or Paradiski - just fancy a change and there seems to be some nice chalets in Rosiere?
Any thoughts appreciated - thank you
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Providing the link to La Thuile is open then no. There is some great off piste to have a bash at. You can ski down to the Ecudet chair and get a free bus to Bourg St Maurice and then ski Les Arcs at a reduced rate
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From the lift map it looks like there is a significant amount of skiing BUT.......the link to the bigger half and in most peoples opinion the better half is a very long drag lift away over to La Thuile that is prone to closure in winds/storms.

A lot of the blues on the La Ros side are tracks linking the areas.

That said we had a very good week at La Rosiere, but were a mixed ability group with kids.

3V and EK or Paradiski it is not
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dippy, You would need to head over to La Thuile to get the most from the week. During the week I was there we had a couple of days when conditions got poor but I think the button to Italy stayed open. With a car your could certainly drive to Les Arcs, La Plagne. I guess it would be about 30-40 mins drive, but that's just a guess.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

You can ski down to the Ecudet chair

is that the one which goes quite a bit lower than the others? If so, it was closed on both occasions we went to La Rosiere (both early January) because of lack of snow. We enjoyed La Ros (hence went back for the second holiday) and didn't get to Italy (gave up on the long drag because small children were being blown away) but we were a mixed group with two families and not bothered about mileage.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If the link with La Thuile is open you will just about be satisfied , however if not no , La Rosiere is a lovely place but the skiing is fairly average , is south facing so lots of sun but sometimes slush .

Just an idea as you have cars , go to Ste Foy which also has some great chalets and great Skiing area but small , better than La Ros , and drive to La Rosiere one day , 30 mins away , Les Arcs another 10 mins away , Val/Tignes 15 mins away .

The six day lift pass, which is cheap, in Ste Foy gives you a half price day in each of the above .
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd echo what Rob Mackley, said. Le Ros is a nice little resort it was 2009 when I was there so perhaps things have improved but my memory is it was pretty limited, lots of drags, and the link over to the italian side was a pain.

We had a great week there when we we're a group of beginners, but since I've progressed in my skiing it's not somewhere I'd rush back to unless a good deal popped up. If you've tried 3V and PS you may find the EK region is more than worth a look, large area, variety of pistes, good lift system, lift accessed off piste if it's something you fancy getting into.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I really don't get this "you need 300km plus" to have a great ski holiday. And that you will get bored on a ski holiday if you ever ski the same run twice. I would happily spend all day doing different things on the Tetras run in La Rosiere e.g. The 10 minutes spent on the first drag lift towards La Thuile is the only drag you need to take and when you cross the border you have a totally different culture and a completely new ski resort that is soooo different from La Rosiere.

Have a look on You Tube to see how much skiing there is there and how varied it can be. Alternatively stay in La Thuile and also visit Pila and Cormayuer on an Aosta pass. If you fancy a change then Espace Killy is very similar to 3V or Paradiski.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I really don't get this "you need 300km plus" to have a great ski holiday.

Agreed!! Having just been "locked" in a resort with 80km of pistes, 60% of which were closed, it still remained one of the best ski trips I've been on. Lovely town, some great company and, with different conditions everyday, each run skied very differently. Plus, when the snow and cloud finally lifted, there was some great, as yet unseen, scenery Toofy Grin snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I really don't get this "you need 300km plus" to have a great ski holiday. And that you will get bored on a ski holiday if you ever ski the same run twice. I would happily spend all day doing different things on the Tetras run in La Rosiere e.g. The 10 minutes spent on the first drag lift towards La Thuile is the only drag you need to take and when you cross the border you have a totally different culture and a completely new ski resort that is soooo different from La Rosiere.

Have a look on You Tube to see how much skiing there is there and how varied it can be. Alternatively stay in La Thuile and also visit Pila and Cormayuer on an Aosta pass. If you fancy a change then Espace Killy is very similar to 3V or Paradiski.

This ^^^
Been twice and loved it, going again in March (only because daughter is working there) but still loved it both times.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
feefee, I'm going on the 8th March, first time there. Can't wait!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We enjoyed La Rosiere Xmas 2012, my 3 twenty something very keen lads found plenty to do for a week, but would not want to return there for a while. The drive down to Bourg was about half an hour then there is parking at the funiculaire in Bourg to get up to Arc 1600 and all of the associated skiing there. Several other resorts are also doable by car in a day if you really felt the need.

We stayed in the Les Eucherts part of La Rosiere and had a lovely holiday in a pretty environment. We all preferred it to Arc 2000 where we stayed this Xmas, but my lads preferred the skiing at Les Arcs. Depends what you want from a holiday really.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The whole "like to cover the miles" thing totally baffles me. My idea of ski/snowboard hell.

La Rosiere is cool though, it has 4 or 5 very different-feeling "sectors" - mellow south-facing slopes above the resort, steeper stuff across towards the Fort, really good mix of runs on the Petit Saint Bernard pass section, then good steeps over in La Thuile (great tree runs down to Les Ecudets too - don't miss this if it's in good condition).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I really don't get this "you need 300km plus" to have a great ski holiday. And that you will get bored on a ski holiday if you ever ski the same run twice. .

I've just spent 3hrs on the same run, going round and round on the same lift.

holiday skiiers do tend to like to clock up miles though, then at the end of the day work out how far they have gone and then get annoyed if there was a chair they didnt go on rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In my 3 weeks of skiing so far I have never clocked up the miles/kms. I think we covered all slopes in La Ros (except blacks) and had great fun over the week repeating them. We did not even make it into Italy.
However, I ski with friends and the wife so we are not speed freaks and we do not race.

We met a family that were on their 4th or 5th La Ros trip and they love the fact they know the area, the kids are gaining confidence, and the resort is friendly. We have booked again for next year and I look forward to skiing in Italy.

The two resorts should offer enough for most skiers over a week unless you genuinely dislike skiing the same run a few times. I appreciate experienced skiers will have different needs from a holiday.
snow report
lewisb22, see you there then! Where you staying? Last time our children spent hours on the little green run Foret, it's not marked on the paper piste map, but there's lots of little bumps and jumps through the trees, great fun, then as adults we spent sometime in there recently, just as much fun! snowHead I like La Rosiere it has a really friendly feel about the place, a true family resort, maybe not enough for mileage clockers, but plenty to do in a beautiful setting, the scenery is fantastic.
snow report
feefee, we are staying in our friends' rather nice chalet in les eucherts. Called chalet les eucherts I think!
ski holidays
Have a great time, we stayed in les balcons in les eucherts 4 years ago, it's really nice, next time we are staying in the main part of La Rosiere, chalet Oliver? Same date as you!
snow report
feefee, I think I know the chalet you mean. A couple of minutes walk from the slopes on the road to Les Eucherts. Have a great time.
snow conditions
Wow - well that certainly gave me plenty to think about / look into - thank you all very much!

The conclusion I have come to - I think, is ...... Yes we/I do like to rack up the miles, doing the same run / runs most days does not appeal to me - sorry! Therefore I think I will let the accomodation do the talking - if a good deal comes up on a very nice chalet we may consider it - but at the moment Alpe d Huez or Tignes/Val d Isere is looking more appealing.
snow report
ADH looks nice. Have a great time and let us know how it goes.
snow conditions
You could also look at the Milky Way or the Grand Massif if you want a larger ski area. I personally think there is enough skiing in La Rosiere/La Thuile for a week but it is obviously a lot smaller than the 3 valleys. However the reason I particularly like La Rosiere is due to it being a very family orientated resort. It wasn't high on our list of places to go pre children.
latest report
snowymum, The joy of being a parent. Choosing ski resorts based on friendly atmosphere, child care, chalet choice, accommodation location to piste/town and suitability for children. Very Happy
latest report
Grand Masif is also at the top of my list - its just trying to find a chalet! Due to recent problems with fraud etc I only like to book a chalet that has some reviews available or at least with a well established small TO.
Its not easy to take responsibility when booking for a group - hence I am quite fussy! But .... I would certainly give Rosiere a go as we have some less experienced in our group this time - although I wont mention the long drag to the snowboarders! - They will be fine - and if not - I get a good laugh!
snow report
Dippy, I think there has been mention of chalets in Grand Masif somewhere on this forum, with several members having stayed in them. I did not take much notice because I was not looking in that area but if you do a search you may find the chalet/s?
snow report
Have you tried chalets direct. Choose a reputable member with good history who has been on their for several years. I got a bit twitchy using CD at first as it feels like a leap of faith.
ski holidays
Dippy, I run a really nice chalet in La Rosiere. It's in an outlying village with a chairlift link to the resort and a very short (5 minutes) drive to the funicular to ski at Les Arcs (Paradiski) -0 might give you the best of both worlds. Deals to be had for this season! Drop me a PM if you'd like a quote.

La Rosiere / La Thuile has about 160km of piste by the way. It's not exactly a tiny ski area! Alpe d'Huez can't have much more?
snow report
CaravanSkier - thanks I will search for info on chalets in Grand Masif
Mike H - yes I'm sure it was chalets direct solutions room I used last year for our trip to Avoriaz - so will use them again.
stevomcd - I would like info on your chalet - if I can figure out how to PM you!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dippy, sent you one!
latest report
Dippy, if stevomcd's place in La Ros is half as nice as his place in Ste Foy, go for it! Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy