Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2013/2014 white dot preachers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I tried the white dot preachers and loved them. I will use them 80% off-piste on wide open bowls but also in the trees. I am debating between the 179's and the 189's - thinking the 179's may be better for the trees and tighter turn radius but hearing a lot of people recommending the 189's. I'm 183cm tall and weigh 75kgs. Advice?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Talk to the guys at the company.The 189s used to be a stiffer layup.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've spoken to them and they say both would work. Curious whether someone here has some additional experience on the preacher's that they could offer.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have the 189s and am the same height and only slightly heavier than you at close to between 78-80kg.

I suppose I would be classed as a fairly aggressive (not crazy though) skier and am very glad I went for the 189s!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you. I like to ski fast and aggressive too. Only worried about tight radius in the trees. Have you had any issue with some of the tighter off piste.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
None at all.

I had the 190 Redeemers and got the Preachers specifically for tighter turns whilst tree skiing as the Redeemers, whilst an awesome big open mountain charger, weren't for me in the trees.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
helloburnett, if you're fast & aggressive then go with the 189. Sidecut/radius doesn't really come in to it in tight trees as you'll be steering/pivoting most of your turns - however the Preacher is a pretty tight turner (19M in 189cm), especially in 3D snow. I've got both the 179 & 189 in stock in both the traditional construction & the CarbonLite version wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
helloburnett, you are on the cusp i would say between the two sizes. I'm 180cm and when weighed 80+kg i skied the 189, i dropped to 73kg and enjoyed the 179 more. I'm easing back after a broken leg and ruptured MCL at the moment but at Christmas spent a few days on some carbonLite 189s and found i was enjoying them well enough whilst tipping the scales at about 75kg.

The 189 is a markedly stiffer ski than the 169 and 179 as fatbob says, and also you are right in your observation that the turn radius on the ski grows as the length increases (tip, waist & tail stay a constant, so it has to). This combination of greater stiffness and (relative) straight stability at speed is what makes it the choice for Eva Walkner in competitions despite her (relative) lack of height and weight, but clearly she is a super aggressive and powerful skier.

The Preacher is a twin tip, and has a substantial nose tip, so it does ski short. so don't be afraid of the 189 due to its length per say, also all the lengths have a hell of a sidecut and so will carve a turn quicker than some straighter skis on the market (rocker, camber, etc to one side). The 179 is softer though, even more turny, will make your life a little easier.

All of the above probably will confuse you even more, so i will add only this: the 179 Preacher is still by far and away our best seller; the 189 is an FWT winning ski.

Good luck deciding Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think 189's here I come. Seems like all the advice for twin tips is to go longer than shorter and a little above your head being ok (189 vs height of 183).

I will let people know how they work. Appreciate everyone's comments.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy