Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do I stop from forgetting how to ski?

Poster: A snowHead
First post, just back from first ski trip to Kaprun. Learned the basics, including parallel turns, short turns and some edging. Really loved it, went up Zell am See on the last day, and it was a blast, really felt like I could do it. But now I'm back, and I probably won't be going for another year. I live maybe an hour and a half drive from a dry slope, but a six hour drive from the nearest real snow centre, so I've got limited ability there.
Is there a way of reenforcing what I've learned, without snow, or am I doomed to be back in the ski school beginners' class next year?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
activities that have a lot of dynamic balance help;

- mountain biking
- always standing up on moving buses and trains without holding on to hanging straps or rails
- standing on one foot when brushing your teeth in the mornings ( or when drinking a beer in the bar! )

Genuinely - all of the above help!
Welcome to skiing!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You'll be surprised how well your knowledge survives, don't worry! After a multi year gap I was mostly fine after the first few turns - like riding a bike, a few wobbles and then it returns, not quite as good as you were but not a total loss at all.

Welcome to snowheads Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
See if you can manage a few trips to the dry slope (which is your closest?) way better than nothing even if it isn't real snow
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LastKing, Welcome to snowHead

Buy beg borrow steal to enable you to do more than one trip a year

Otherwise next year you spend the first three days getting back to the level you are now...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
LastKing, some of it depends on your age! Young and fit = not going backwards as much as being older and less fit does, and certainly speed of re-learning is directly related to age and fitness levels!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
LastKing, sign up for the EoSB? Laughing

Welcome to snowHeads. All of the above are good suggestions!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LastKing, some people take years to learn to ski, and seem to forget it all and go back to beginners claas year after year, but you seem to have got it quickly... I guess you are quite fit and brave. You also seem to have confidence and you loved it so that's good. You are in a frame of mind that you won't easily forget it and like riding a bike you will be able to progress quickly, there might be a little falling back after a year but you'll soon catch it up. If you can get to a dry slope...on holiday, maybe, or going visiting, away on business....any time you pass one...It will help. You must live somewhere quite remote if you are so far from one...
Just keep fit, stairs, cycling, tightrope walking, anything with balance, also trampolining and watch ski movies (try Warren Miller's back catalogue..the really old ones from the 70s are great) to keep the flame alive....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's like riding a bike, takes a few seconds to get your ski legs back, but once the firs turn is over you , it all comes back.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's amazing how much the body remembers if you switch the brain off and let the body take over. People come to us saying they haven't skied for 20 years and they need to be a beginner again, but they don't, in an hour on a dry slope with an instructor they are usually at the top of the slope and happily skiing down the hill making turns.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You won't forget. On a physiological level, the neural pathways that you have developed during your week's skiing won't disappear within a year. It's like riding a bike; you'll probably be as good as you were on the last afternoon by lunchtime on the 2nd day back at worst.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for that, guys.

I am pretty fit, and in the past have done a lot of trail rising and some downhill mountain-biking, which I found really helped in judging the terrain of the piste, however subtle. Strangely, I think sea-kayaking also helped, as you tend to have to judge your position carefully in the water, and use a lot of balance in quickly changing situations (especially the surf line). Unfortunately, I am older (49), so that might go against me, but I do tend to pick things up pretty quickly, so maybe they'll fade less so.

Luckily there are some real snow slopes back near relatives up north, so will definitely try and fit in a visit when next up.

The nearest dry slope to us is Plymouth. I checked it out and it's cheap, but I have to say, my heart sank a little when I looked at the videos on line. The surroundings seemed so inauthentic, however good or bad the actual skiing experience might be. I know it would be good for the practice, but so bad for the soul.

I'll probably just wait so I can get back on the real snow up north, even if it is undercover.

Thanks again
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Get a physio balance cushion and stand on it while watching the racing on Ski Sunday. Assume a skiing position and turn in time with the skiers. Very good for balance and entertaining anyone else in the room Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's also a skiing game on the wii..not authentic, but quite fun. If you brew some gluhwein first......
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowyowl, a friend of mine insisted I tried the skiing game on her wii fit. I can confirm it feels nothing like skiing, is just feels like balancing on a tea tray in someone's living room...
ski holidays
Lastking, age is just a number! from the sports you have listed I can imagine that you are fitter than a lot of people in their twenties. You are right I can imagine that they all help. I know I was told that riding several horses a day made a huge difference to me when I was learning, leg muscles, balance etc. It will come back to you in a flash, You can also do Like I do, keep your eye on Ryanair find a cheap flight to anywhere with a resort less than three hours away, hire a car, and do two days every now and then. For short periods you don't need huge resorts , and the less crowded a place is the faster you will relax as you don't have to keep watching out for others.
ski holidays
LastKing, OMG! I seem to remember this thread starting with a similar question Laughing
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91977
latest report
one thread of that length is enough though I think. Laughing, I tried to read it and gave up because it turned into loads of different subjects. Laughing
ski holidays
one thread of that length is enough though I think. Laughing, I tried to read it and gave up because it turned into loads of different subjects. Laughing
latest report
franzClammer wrote:
LastKing, OMG! I seem to remember this thread starting with a similar question Laughing
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91977

Shameless. Laughing
ski holidays
Fenfilly wrote:

Shameless. Laughing

It was a bit wasn't it Embarassed
Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy