Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria recommendations needed: Zillertal valley vs. SkiWelt?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mrs Idlehands and I will be flying in to Innsbruck for a ski trip the week of March 8-15, resort undetermined.

We're strong intermediates, prefer red & black to blue, primarily on-piste skiing - though willing to try off-piste if conditions allow, like a big ski area, and not really bothered about krazy apres.

Trying to keep costs down, so as much as I'd like to try St Anton, we're looking at less expensive options this time. The Zillertal valley appeals from a cost perspective; commuting up and down the valley less so. We'd be staying in Hippach without a car, but would want to ski each area (Kaltenbach, Hochzillertal, Penken, Hintertux). I know about the Zillertalbahn and buses, but still... And the warm weather really seems to have been sticking it to the Ziller valley recently.

Which has gotten me now thinking about SkiWelt. Never been, but the current conditions and historical snow depths suggest we shoud be considering it.

For those who've been to both, which do you think would suit us more? Or other resort suggestions?
Puzzled

Thanks,
IH
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When are you booking? I'll tell you after the 24th if that's any use. FWIW, I think Skiwelt is great although not too many blacks around. It's really nicely connected once you figure your way round and you can have really good days going up and skiing back down to a different base rather than funnelling back to the same one all the time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you are looking for blacks and "dark" reds, there are probably a few more in the Zillertal than the Skiwelt, although both have more blues and "pale" reds.

Remember that in the Zillertal, virtually all the skiing is above the top stations of the base gondolas. You take the gondola up and then further chairs to get into the skiing (so it is quite high), while the SkiWelt slopes mainly start at the level of the gondolas.

Hippach is pretty central - there is a gondola into the main Penken area from Hippach itself, plus a train station to get down to Zell am Ziller or Kaltenbach (And at Kaltenbach, the train station is about 200 yards from the gondola base station).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
alex_heney wrote:
Remember that in the Zillertal, virtually all the skiing is above the top stations of the base gondolas. You take the gondola up and then further chairs to get into the skiing (so it is quite high), while the SkiWelt slopes mainly start at the level of the gondolas.

But even so, there is lots of skiing above the top stations of the SkiWelt gondolas. Later in the season then I reckon it is generally more common to be able to ski back to base in the SkiWelt than in the Zillertal.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RobW wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

But even so, there is lots of skiing above the top stations of the SkiWelt gondolas.

Apart from the Hohe Salve, which is rather steep and not that interesting, I'm not aware of much.

Quote:

Later in the season then I reckon it is generally more common to be able to ski back to base in the SkiWelt than in the Zillertal.

Agreed. The base in the Zillertal is frequently green and it can be too much effort to keep the few base runs open then. I don't think there even are any base runs in Zell am Ziller or back to Mayrhofen from the Penken area (there is one back to Hippach).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks gents. You've pretty much confirmed what I'd thought (we'd been leaning toward Zillertal over the SkiWelt). However, we just found some relatively inexpensive accommodation in St Anton, so we're going to pay a bit more and give it a go to see what everyone's raving about...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy