Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Request for information - Innbruck

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I went skiing in Scotland this weekend and a mate asked me if I wanted to go skiing in Innsbruck in a couple of weeks. Apparently the chalet is close to Schlick 2000. I've only been to Austria as a kid and it wasn't Innsbruck, so I don't have any idea if this is a good resort or not? I also don't know how to figure out if the snow is worth it at the moment? I know they are all begineers that are going so its ideal for them but does it offer decent skiing for all levels? I'm not expecting an amazing resort, but I do want it to be at least upper intermidate by french standards as my skiing isn't quite what it used to be, but its not spazzy.

I know its hard to tell what level someone is at, so to give an idea I have done a season at Serre Chevalier and done daytrips to Glenshee Aviemore whenever I can for the last 4 years.

Thanks

Ian
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First Innsbruck isn't a ski resort, it's a city. I assume your chalet is int he village of Fulpmes, which is right by the Schlick2000 ski area.

What sort of skiing are you after? On piste or off?

Schlick is a pretty small resort, but offers access to a good range off off-piste, even more so with 30 minute hikes. The Kalkkögel mountains are one side, providing pretty awesome views.

Further up the valley (Stubaital) you've got a couple of smaller ski resorts (Neustift Elferlifte, etc), then the Stubai Glacier which is the biggest in the valley and snow sure/open September to late June. Decent amount of piste skiing and plenty of off-piste (lots visible from the lift, like under the Rotadl chair), again LOADS of options if you hike. I'm pretty sure the bus to there from Fulpmes is free with your ski stuff, takes around 30 mins.

In the other direction you have Axamer Lizum (literally just the other side of the Kalkkögel from Schlick), but you have to drive round a bit from inside Stubaital. I don't know how well the busses connect, but with a car it's 20-30 mins. Worth checking out as it's a great little resort, with easy access to hike up into the Kalkkögel where you'll find a multitude of steep couloirs.

I haven't been to Schlick this season, and haven't been at the glacier since November, but being towards the south of Tirol and closer to Italy the snow should be pretty good - certainly more of it than the more northern resorts. The glacier got a dump of 110cms a week or so ago.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Thanks for the info.

Yes I know its a city, but when I look at the pieste map I see there are lots of small bits here and there. Are they part of one giant area or individual resorts in their own right? And when you say hike, would this be a good alpine touring place? Infact would I get bored if I didn't alpine tour here?

Ian
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They are all individual resorts, but most are included on the Innsbruck Olympia Pass.

http://www.innsbruck.info/en/experience/winter-holidays/ski-areas-ski-passes/ski-areas-ski-passes.html

It's a great place for ski touring; endless options.

Whether you would get bored or not depends on what and how you like to ski I guess, and how long you're there for. Short hikes (either to or from a line) certainly open up a lot of options, but that goes for pretty much everywhere I've skied. There's plenty of lift-accessed stuff too though, particularly if you hit up several different resorts.

It's not the sort of place your typical holiday skier wanting 1000s of kms of piste will get stoked about, but after 18 months of living here full time and spending circa 8 weeks a winter here the 3 preceding years, my hit list is growing way faster than things are getting ticked off. nozawaonsen's words on another thread ring very true for here:

Quote:
I've spent many years living close to the mountains in Europe and Japan. During that time there have always been fantastic (often relatively small) local hills which I would hit over and again every week from the first snowfalls dodging the rocks through to the final spring bumps.

It was joyfull, full of a local camaraderie, often uncrowded, with plenty to explore and I was pretty proud of those local hills. The fact that I could just drive up to these easily at the end of the working week or even early morning for a cheeky half day made it even better (as was the fact I could often just head back to my own home at the end of the day), especially as I could react quickly to get the best conditions when they arrived. I've never skied Scotland, but I suspect if you live close it feels a bit like that and when it snows like it has done this year it must really lift the heart.

That said if friends were visiting for a week and asked where they should head to I would rarely (if ever) suggest the local hills. It wasn't that you couldn't build together a week long experience, you could. But the majority of times those looking for a week long break were looking for a different type of experience and the bigger resorts would be what I would recommend (less travelling and lugging stuff around for starters).

The experiences were different. Making the comparison was a bit pointless. Both were terrific in their own way. And given that they were so different being competitive about it was also a bit pointless.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy