Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tour de Tot

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I don't often post TRs but thought this would make a change from talk about the Yahoos of Chamonix.

I'd originally planned to go to the Savoie with some friends but with 20-30cm of fresh and poor weather until around noon it looked more a day for staying local. The friends did a "safe" route in the Belledonne, south facing, low angled terrain. I'd done enough of that kind of touring this season so decided to climb to the Col du Coq with the "Tot" and ski down through the woods and fields. The 400 vertical meters normally takes me around half an hour but the tot was on snowshoes and I had his skis to carry but I was still surprised when we arrived at the col in just over an hour.

Dent de Crolles behind

The last couple of km was accompanied by the usual "are we there yet" but we made it up without a stop.

Signature track on Monday

I'd skied the Dent de Crolles on Monday in almost perfect snow. The route goes down the gulley with the pinnacle on the upper right.

Of course the tot chose the deepest snow to put his skis on rather than using the area that had been tramped down by snowshoers. I don't know when kids develop common sense but it is not at 9 years old.

The descent starts on road, which is closed in the winter, this is a nice warm up as it is almost like a ski piste with all the people who climb and ski down it.

You then cut down a "secret passage" which leads into a series of snow covered fields separated by broken dry stone walls and stands of trees. You pass by the ruins of an old stone barn at one point. It had rained to 1400 meters so the snow was humid with a crust, not the easiest skiing, especially on slalom skis.

The fields then led into a beech forest, always the best woods to ski as the trees leave plenty of room for turns and you don't get too much brushwood.

At the end of the beech forest we had a long traverse down a track above reservoirs that stock water for the villages below then

a final field down to the gardens of the houses below. We'd descended a bit late which meant the snow surface had refrozen.

In better snow years you can ski through the garden of one of the houses and either slalom through the orchard or, snow permitting, ski through their tunnel greenhouse!

The route has zero avalanche risk but still offers interesting skiing in nice surroundings (note no airbag or beacon!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidof, great TR! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof, Lovely pictures and a great report' looks like my kind of touring.
Quote:

I don't know when kids develop common sense but it is not at 9 years old.

Not to sure that it has struck home with my own at 19. wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, awesome!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof, lovely! The tot is very lucky to have a dad that takes him out to do stuff like that - even if you do take the mick out of him for our entertainment Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ace Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The tot is very lucky to have a dad that takes him out to do stuff like that

+1. and he's doing very well - 400 m vertical on snowshoes in an hour! Good going. snowHead How long, do you reckon, before the young wolf can take on the old grey wolf?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:

+1. and he's doing very well - 400 m vertical on snowshoes in an hour! Good going. snowHead How long, do you reckon, before the young wolf can take on the old grey wolf?

I was surprised, I didn't time to the minute, a little after 2pm and arrived at the col at 3.15pm but now you mention it we skied down below the car and walked back up so it was less than 400m, maybe 325 to 350. Normally I park the car lower but the snowplough had filled in the parking spaces. The school have been doing their skating programme this winter and the kids are a lot fitter. Downhill, if the snow is good, it is a close run thing now despite the weight difference.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, nice one, very impressive to get a youngun to do that.

Hope you're going to show him all this praise!

Now all you need is a couple of dogs as well snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kudos for making him do it on slalom skis! wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weathercam wrote:

Now all you need is a couple of dogs as well snowHead

just one dog - a malamute or maybe a team of 柴犬
ski holidays