Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whitedot Preachers vs Directors

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After quite a lot of searching I'm really attracted to the description of Whitedot's products, but struggling to nail down the exact character of these skis and which would suit better. Basically looking for a good powder ski which is manouverable in tight spaces e.g. trees, but stable enough to crud-bash, and wont be a chore on occasional days spent pistebashing at speed with family etc. Also unsure on sizing (I'm 6ft3 and 81kg). Any help or first hand experience would be awesome, thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi hollando, as a Whitedot guy I've spent extensive time on both models, happy to talk about them from a "biased" point of view of course Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
189 in the Preacher & 188 in the Director. Look at the 186 Ranger also as it's slight camber underfoot & rockered tip makes a great all mntn ski whereas the Director is a lot more soft snow biased. And if you're a strong skier look at the 195 Ranger Pro.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 10-02-14 14:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having had another read looks like it probably is between the Ranger and the Preacher. I'm looking to replace my current ski, an Atomic Theory (186cm) with something fatter and more robust, while hopefully retaining some of the manouverability I have found in the Theory. As i can't pick and choose my ski days based on conditions, the director is probably out because of the soft snow bias. What are the main performance differences between the two (I was intrigued by the idea of a 112mm waisted ski that can also tear up hardpack when necessary!), especially with regard to variable snow conditions (powder through to spring overnight ice) and tight spaces (trees, moguls, couloirs)?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll back spyderjon, with his Ranger suggestion. I'm 6'1", 87Kg and skied 184cm Rangers last week when in Tignes. Great float in powder bowls, trees earliy inthe week, then as it became tracked out and variable, coped with the chopped up stuf, flexed enough for the moguls and stable when we went for a quick blast on firm groomed blacks and wide cruising blues. At 108mm the waist doesnt feel that big, but you do have to work them. I'd try the 184 rather than the 187 unless you are super fit and going to ski hard all day.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I recently had the same dillemma, and after much research I decided on the preachers. I then spoke to spyderjon, who talked the options through with me, and I changed my mind to the Rangers! Ive had a week on them in variable conditons, and absolutely love them, nimble for their size, great float in the powder, comfortable for piste cruising, and since I went for the carbonlites they are incredibly light (really really light!!). They performed really well on everything with the exception of ice, but your are not going to find a ski that wide that does. Also thought that they are much more maneuverable on moguls than I would have expected, although clearly thats not what they are designed for.

Im a couple inches shorter than you and more like 89kg, went for the 187s, definitely wouldnt advise that you go any shorter. If your a better skier than me (which is likely!) then you might want to consider the 195s.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hollando, I have Preachers 187 and similar stats to you, and wouldn't want any bigger. I love the skis but they aren't my go to skis for days on the piste with the family. Very Happy
They are however fantastic in the deep stuff.
I have not tried the directors or rangers, but the rangers sound interesting.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jbob wrote:
hollando, I have Preachers 187ers,

Not 189's?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have 189 Preachers and am 6 foot and 80kg. They can do pretty much everything off piste and carve nice long turn on piste with a bit of work.
Sometimes they have too much float for my liking but they are really stable at fairly high speed off piste.

Haven't skied the Rangers or Directors so cannot comment on those
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Touchguru wrote:
jbob wrote:
hollando, I have Preachers 187ers,

Not 189's?

Oops, they are the only skis I have ever been able to carve in powder Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hollando, there's a few incorrect lengths being quoted above (started by me Embarassed). For your stats/ability you'd require either the 189cm Preacher or the 186cm Ranger & it sounds like you'd easily handle the 195cm Ranger. I can do you a great deal on either but if your budget runs to it then go for the Carbonlite version.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers for all the input everyone, definitely leaning towards the rangers now. Think the carbonlites are beyond my budget unfortunately, given the fact I've been slowly scraping the money together from postgrad student funding...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy