Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

grand massif without a car?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
is it possible? Where should I stay? Will I be stuck at that resort or can I get to other mountains?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Will I be stuck at that resort or can I get to other mountains?

you can get all round the GM - or do you mean to other places, such as Chamonix?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Without a car you can ski, Samoens, Morillon, les carroz, flaine and sixt.... 265km of piste.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 9-02-14 19:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grand Massif Area (Flaine, Les Carroz, Samoens, Motillon & Sixt) markets itself as having 265km of pistes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whoops, fingers and keyboard... Corrected now!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sixt is a car company? I don't have a license.

OK. some people think it's doable without a car? Can you suggest where to stay and which mountains I should do? I am an intermediate skier. It would be nice to do three different mountains on three different days.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i see sixt is a mountain but for some reason sixt is directing me to a car company.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
amps, as skier52 and marcellus have pointed out, the areas they have mentioned are all part of the GM. Wherever you stay, you can ski it all, and wouldn't need a car. But if by "different mountain" you mean somewhere other than the GM - e.g. The Portes du Soleil, or Chamonix, then that would be a hassle without a car, and take too long to bother with, probably. But there's masses of skiing for a week in the Grand Massif (though some of it might not be open, depending on snow cover, of course).

If you look at the piste map you'll see how it all fits together.

All the info you need is here. http://winter.grand-massif.com/ski-area

The area is easily accessible from Geneva. Where to stay depends on what kind of thing you like - and what kind of accommodation you are looking for. And when you are going.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are ski bus connections between Sixt, Samoens and Morillon. LC runs its own service as does Flaine but they do not connect with each other so you will rely on ski connections between Flaine and LC, Flaine and the other three and LC and the other three. Links can be closed particularly when windy but lift entry points show notices of this. If weather is good then plan an excursion if it is poor stay local. Plenty of skiing regardless of where you stay.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 11-02-14 12:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sixt is not a place to stay without a car.

All the ski buses in the area are free to ride.

The largest ski area is Flaine, so you could base yourself there.

The prettiest ski are is Les Carroz(imho) and you could also base yourself there.

Morillon is a very small but also pretty area and you could base yourself there, it has a fastish lift up.

Samoen is also a lovely village and you could also base yourself there. Here is the only village where you will have to take the bubble down. But the skiing is fine.

All the areas are linked but sometimes the link between Flaine and the other areas can be closed if the wind is strong, as with other linked areas elsewhere.

It all depends what you are looking for, very little après but nice slopes.

Forgot to mention that you can organise your transport form Geneva airport to which ever resort you choose, some chalets may offer transfer as TO's do.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What I am looking for (since some of you mentioned I omitted this) is good 3 days of skiing for two intermediate skiers and ease of getting around without a car. As for apres, I don't need St Anton style, just a pub to have a pint and a restaurant to eat at at the end of the day. So, some apres is nice, but it doesn't need to be crazy. And no, by getting to other mountains, I don't mean going to chamonix. Just getting from flaine to sixt to samoens etc. i.e. between the mountains in GM.

The strange thing I have found is that transport companies seem to charge more to go to flaine and the rest of GM than to chamonix from geneva even though flaine is much closer. Perhaps I will look into hotel transfers.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
amps, The reason they charge more to get to Flaine than to Chamonix is because the road up to Flaine from the A40 is about 25km and is very windy. The road to Chamonix is mostly autoroute. It probably takes less time from junction 19 (the Flaine exit) to Chamonix than it takes to get to Flaine and is certainly a much easier drive with no risk of having to use chains - Chamonix is at about 1,400m IIRC compared with the high point in getting to Flaine of about 1,800m.

Also, be aware that Sixt is not always open, it is very low (about 1,000m I think) and the lifts are fairly antiquated. If it's open it will keep you busy for a few hours but if you're only there for 3 days it's probably not worth the effort unless you do the Cascades run early in the day.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another reason why Chamonix is cheaper for transfers is competition!!

More transfer companies all fighting for business with many fixed costs means they need to keep running.

As for the OP forget Sixt... Stick to Les Carroz (as a base) and venture to Flaine, Morillon and Samoens.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Even though we're based in Flaine I would agree with Marcellus that Les Carroz is a better bet for 3 days in the GM
Also see www.altibus.com for bus transfers directly from Geneva airport to the resorts
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
look at www.lescarrozchalets.com for a 3 day stay - good catered accommodation and fast transfers can easily be arranged. Easy access from Les Carroz to all areas within the Grand Massif - and lift pass only 129 euros.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy