Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soll English Speaking Restaurants

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. I'm planning a solo ski trip to soll in austria next season and having been a couple of times before to austria on my own I have felt a bit awkward sometimes in restaurants, ordering food etc with regards to not being able to speak much german. The last two times I've stayed in hotels where the evening meals haven't required me to say a lot as the meals just get put in front of you and all you have to say is danke (lol), but I'm thinking of going for a b&b this time so will be eating out in the evenings. So what I want to know is if anyone knows of any restaurants in soll (town not mountain) that speak english well enough for me to not have to use much german, hopefully this will help me from looking like a helpless lemon and make me feel a bit better lol. Hope someone can help. Cheers, Ben
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Assume they all speak English but you have almost a year to learn some lingo!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers. Yeah I was thinking along similar lines, although would be nice not to rely on that too much. Probably being a bit of worrier, just not sure how acceptable it is to just go into a restaurant and ask for things in english, as you say though they probably speak english and won't mind, I hope at least.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bendiddley, menus are always available in English. It's quite easy, you can have roast pig, medallions of pig, pig stew, pig bolognaise, pig ice cream, pig fritters, medley of pig, pig a l'orange, sauteed pig with pig jus, pig surprise or pig flambee.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lol, looks like it'll be pig then although as long as there's something that's easy to say I don't care what it is, although I may have to draw the line at pig surprise! lol
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
English is widely used and most if not all menus are dual lingo!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What about asking for a table or ordering a bill, is it OK to do that in English? My get out claus if I'm frowned upon is to apologise and say "Meine Deutsch ist schlecht" which means i can't speak a bloody word of german lol
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bezahlen bitte, will get you the bill
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just don't mention the war Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ok i'll bear that in mind lol. Cool thanks guys, so has anyone been to soll and could recommend a restaurant or two that won't tell me to leave if I asked for a beer in english? Or is there a good website that has reviews of restaurants?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bendiddley, beer and bier are said the same - you'll be fine
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bendiddley, Dear God! you are going to limit your restaurant choice because you are worried that you don't speak German? Seriously, just go in smile and speak in English. If they don't speak any at all (most unlikely) they'll still know you want a table, seeing as they are a restuarant an'all. Write a stock list of menu items and the English translation, then if you are really stumped you can refer to the list - Austrian menus as very same-y. Or, if you have a smart phone download a german enlish dictionary - I use collins all the time when I come across a word I don't know. Bear in mind that the Dutch, Scandies and Russinas will generally default to English in Austria.

or..learn a few phrases and menu items. It's not hard ot know that suppe is soup, knoedel is a dumpling and anything with fleisch is meat.

.. this from a non-German speaking, Austrian apartment owner who can at least read a menu, ask for a table and get the bill!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers mate, good advise, i've got a smart phone but I forget about it's usefulness sometimes. Yeah you're right I hadn't thought of how the dutch etc get by with their lingo. Just need to bite the bullet then and go for it, and stop worrying too will help. Thanks all for the reality wake up Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bendiddley, I've not been in a restaurant in Söll where the staff don't speak English. The Postwirt, the Feldwebel, the Dorfe Stube and the Pizzeria all do a good range of food, including meals other than pork ! One of our group is a vegetarian and she manages to find something in each of them. The Bella Vita is expensive and not as good as it used to be. The KornKammer (just below the gondola) is a lovely barn conversion that is worth a visit, but also on the expensive side for dinner (reasonable at lunchtime). The Hexenalm - a bit further down from the gondola - also does a good meal but can be noisy as an après ski joint.
ski holidays
Aww bendiddley, don't worry at all!! If it makes you feel any better, I spend half my life in Soll and I'm getting frustrated because it's so feckin hard to get the chance to use my Deutsch!! Soll is extremely tourist oriented, so you will have absolutely no problem with language. The only restaurant I can think of in the village where English isn't really spoken is the turkish kebab shop, but it's pretty easy to navigate that one- "Kebab" should work, lol! wink Bring a little phrase book with you if you're really conscious of it- at least that way if you get really stuck you have a lifeline to turn to Happy

I posted somewhere about the restaurants in Soll, if I can find it I'll copy it here.

Hope you enjoy!! Happy
ski holidays
bendiddley, sorry, forgot to mention pig kebab.

A good thing to do is to combine the night skiing with a meal at the Stöcklalm (get to mid station on gondola and then ski off right, it's the big place down there)
snow report
Here ya go bendiddley! It was written for a for a poster who looking for good traditional places to eat.

There are plenty of really nice places to eat in the village. Here's a tripadvisor list, http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant...rian_Alps.html. You HAVE to try the Wienerschnitzel in the Oberhausberg, which is halfway down the blue family run to the village- it's renowned locally for being the best in the area. I love the Dorfstubn and Sollerstuben in the village, they're both lovely traditional feel and great food. There's also the Postwirt bang in the middle of town, also very traditional, great food and usu live music later on. These three places do AMAZING steaks Happy Kaiserstuben have great food too. If you want casual right next to the pubs there's Chicos, which is across the road from the Salven Stadtl and above the Underground Bar. It's very reasonable and you can bring your pizza downstairs to the bar & eat it with your pint if you like. There's also Bella Vita and Rossini, which are both lovely but with a more modern, less traditional vibe.

If you just want something quick to eat with your beer you can get a really tasty steak semmel outside the SalvenStadtl, freshly BBQ'd in front of you, or the TalStation beside the gondola does really tasty dutch-style chips, or the kebab shop Clair de Lune is nice for a quick kebab Happy
latest report
Ah yes Bode Swiller, the rotisserie chicken at the StocklAlm is a thing of beauty!!! I'm addicted Happy
latest report
Hendl mit brot and Bier will see you through the week at the StocklAlm!
snow report
bendiddley, don't worry about it dude, most Austrians speak excellent English and love to speak it - which can make practising German tricky sometimes. You certainly won't be refused beer for ordering in English!
snow conditions
provenjohn wrote:
Just don't mention the war Toofy Grin
Not a problem for Austrians. They will tell you the Germans did it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy