Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Queueing" at Glen Coe

Poster: A snowHead
A great days skiing at Glen Coe yesterday (Friday) was ruined by several "locals" jumping every queue I was in all day. The lift attendants turned a blind eye to there shenanigans which made it very easy for them. I haven't experienced this at any other resort in Scotland. Has anybody else been a witness to this queue jumping at Glen Coe?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
speagle, can you be sure they weren't patrol and/or staff on breaks ? To say that it ruined your day means that it's obviously annoyed you so why not drop a line to Glencoe ski centre's email and ask for an explanation.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
speagle,
That's a shame as moffatross, says maybe drop a line.
Most times I have skied Glencoe the queues have been short and I have not witnessed queue jumping other than singles taking up places on unoccupied T bars, doesn't mean it cant happen though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have already dropped the an email! It will be interesting to read their response. They were definitely not ski patrol just ordinary punters like the rest of us! I did confront them and was told that I was "missing a trick"
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not on, really... But is it that much different from anywhere else in Europe? Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I did ask them if they were French! I just couldn't believe how brazen and obvious they were, it was as if they were saying "this is our hill, what are you plebs doing here"! It wasn't just me who was annoyed about it. There were several other people having a go at them!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

can you be sure they weren't patrol and/or staff on breaks ?
Surely they wouldn't let them jump the queue? Very bad PR.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have had a season pass at Glencoe for 15+ years.
The "locals" or staff certainly don't tolerate people skipping the queue Wink

It is however expected that everyone doubles up on the t-bar when its busy.
i.e singles filling any unoccupied t-bar slots in order to maximise the uplift capacity.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Haggis_Trap, it wasn't you was it? wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last time I was there the guy next to me really gave some que jumpers some real hassle very loudly much to their embarrassment.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think most of the queue jumping in Glencoe occurs at the single person chairlift (cliffhanger) when people double up after lunch.

NehNeh
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Quote:

can you be sure they weren't patrol and/or staff on breaks ?
Surely they wouldn't let them jump the queue? Very bad PR.

If you're staff coming back from a break for tea or lunch and need to get to the lift loading or exit point that you're looking after for a specified time, it's quite fair that you're given priority to get there rather than queue and eat (sic) into your own break time or delay one of your colleagues from taking theirs.

It's quite likely that the 'trick' the OP was missing was being aware that there's often a singles queue at the front left hand side of the main basin T-Bar queue (button side).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
moffatross, yep, sounds like a singles queue to me too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
These guys were definitely not staff or patrol, they were punters, probably season ticket holding punters but punters never the less. As far as the single line is concerned, unless there is an official single line then it is unfair on queuing singles who are unaware of its existence. If they were fitting into single positions I would not have been so irate, it was their ability, along with the lefties help, to "create" a single place that got me mad also their total lack of respect for anybody else on the hill who have also paid to ski.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
speagle, it seems quite fair to write to Glencoe and to point that out if singles are being encouraged on a particular day to jump in, the lifties should put up a sign or shout out "singles to the left" or similar to bring the arrangement to everyone's attention. Trouble is, there are skiers and boarders who keep refusing to share a ride with each other or with riders from another discipline who make it difficult to keep the uplift efficient on busy days. I can understand your frustration if a lot of people are unaware that a single queue is just happening though and Glencoe really appreciate feedback that helps them to improve the customer experience. But do keep in mind that useful feedback often gets buried amongst general pissing and moaning when you write to them so make it to the point and make sure you get an unambiguous response. The FB pages for all the ski centres are perfect examples of noise overwhelming usefulness. Laughing
latest report
You were almost certainly not witnessing the liftys helping queue jumping - you were witnessing the liftys trying to make optimum use of the uplift capacity. They don't create single places, but when a single person reaches the front of the queue with paired up people behind them the lifty will (or should be!) shouting / looking for another single person to come and fill the space. Otherwise everyone would take longer to get up the hill, there are no official single lines because they don't work as intended on lifts with a capacity less than 3 (think about it), but quite often a single person near the front of the queue will step aside and let some paired people go past in order to pair up with another single person (so far from queue jumping, their actually sacrificing their place in the queue).
latest report
Winterhighland, I have never seen a single person let paired people go ahead while they wait for a single person (unless it is a friend they are waiting for).

Perhaps it is the people on a lesson who are queue jumping. That often happens on the plateau poma. You do not always know they are on a lesson.
ski holidays
moffatross, I think we now know it wasn't lifties queue barging, but I still don't think it would be acceptable. If they need to get to the top for an operational reason, then fine, but if it is just to avoid cutting into their lunch break, then NOT fine. Would you expect supermarket staff to do the same? You could argue that every punter on the slopes is on their 'lunch break'.
snow report
I am in full agreement that every available space on the tows should be filled to keep things moving and that people on a lesson should be allowed to the front of the queue. They were at it all day and on every lift I saw them on. They did not wait for a single space as they would very often end up on the same tow!!! When the lifty shouted "single" two of them would push forward, one would get on the tow with the official single, the other one would stay at the front of the line instead of going back to his place at off to the side of the line. This guy would now be at the front of the line. he would then shout "single" for one of his line jumping pals to come forward before a queuing single had time to come forward from the line!! Make no mistake this was a well practiced ploy very well executed. Like I said before if they had waited for a single gap it would not have pissed me off me so much. Haggis Trap must know these guys! One of them has a very distinctive long red beard with a teat tattoo below his right eye, another has a thick black beard ,white helmet and a camouflage jacket, another all camouflage suit. Also a younger guy with dark skin dressed in yellow and green. Names please if you know them!!!
snow conditions
speagle, take pics next time.
ski holidays
The people who stop singles coming through to fill up the lifts are idiots! There needs to be single lines at all lifts everywhere! It really makes my blood boil when people stand at the stalls and do not get on. Those people are the problem not people filling empty spaces on the lift.
Personally I think the resort should make people get on the lift regardless if their friends are next to them, if this was put in practice lift ques would be considerably smaller!
ski holidays
From comments on the GlenCoe FB group it sounds like there were some right knobs on the hill in the last couple of days. When they had to close the mountain due to increasing winds and snow, apparently some were getting quite abusive with the staff about not getting full day refunds. The lifts opened at 9 and closed at 11 so only a half day refund was given, which seems fair. The Ts&Cs are there for all to see and decide whether they want to buy lift tickets on that basis. With weather that can change so quickly, it's really unfair to treat the awesome Coe Crew like that.
ski holidays
Quote:

Personally I think the resort should make people get on the lift regardless if their friends are next to them, if this was put in practice lift ques would be considerably smaller!
The queues would be smaller, but many people's day would be slightly the poorer for it. Where do you draw the line?
ski holidays
Is it just me, or is this a terribly British argument?
latest report
There are similar arguments in the Alps, but the issues are different. If you have a 8 seater being loaded with only 7 people, it is not such a problem. However, people like to sit next to each other on seats, and on T bars they want to be next to a competent skier rather than a boarder with only a days experience. (or on their own) There are single lines in Pas de la Cassa in Andorra, so singles can queue jump there too!

T bars are a nightmare for early skiers, and there are very few of them in the Alps. The button lifts are not so bad, but T bars are fraught with ski crossing and intimacy which many girls don't like with strangers who haven't washed for a week.

Having said that, in Coe I have found girls have jumped the queue to get on a T bar with me, so it is maybe not a sex related issue.

British people do make an awful fuss when queues form. Anyone complaining about this should try getting a train ticket in Mumbai train station. India love queues more than the British (perhaps it is our legacy). There is a special queue for foreigners, which is always empty. Make sure you use that one!

Laughing
ski holidays
There might be a separate queue for foreigners at Glencoe after the independence vote Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

India love queues more than the British (perhaps it is our legacy).

Not quite my experience in India ! More of a rugby scrum getting on to trains, or to collect tickets, visas etc
snow conditions
Was in Glencoe at the weekend and same story. Punters jumping the queue. It may be for capacity reasons on the T Bar but no excuse on the lower button lifts. Staff seemed to pay no attention to it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Same was happening at Glenshee on Sunday...

It all depends if you let it bother you or not though.
snow conditions
Probably foreigners using the foreigners queue

Laughing
ski holidays
This really, really surprises me, any time I have seen anyone trying to queue skip in Scotland they have got such a lot of abuse from the rest of the queue.

speagle, shoogly, was no one else bothered or did no one else notice? Abusing queue skippers helps pass the time if it's busy I suppose.
ski holidays
lynseyf, indeed.... That's what poles are for isn't it, the abuse of queue skippers? Dunno why they blunted the tips, much less effective nowadays Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
I didn't see any queue-skipping at Glenshee on the weekend. One of the T-bars was very busy due to the races, but the queuing wasn't that bad. Only issue really was the number of (relative) novices unwilling/unable to go with a partner. But I didn't see anyone pushing in...
ski holidays
I see the queueing issues haven't improved back home...
latest report
nevis1003 wrote:
I see the queueing issues haven't improved back home...

Your just jealous Scotland has more snow, and better q jumpers, than the alps Very Happy
snow conditions
nevis1003, What queuing issues? IME Scotland is far better than anywhere else in Europe, and only a smiging(sp?) behind the US.
snow conditions
As I hinted, I wasn't that bothered by it as it happens everywhere... One of those general society things where thick people haven't learned their manners yet.

Worst example I've seen though was at Disneyland Paris in the summer where a 40ish year old rough looking (massive) scouse bloke jumped over a barrier to skip the queue for a merrygoround we were taking our 5 year old on... The blokes 17ish son, who was nursing a stoater of a black eye was very embarrassed by his thick dad's actions and at being forced to climb over the barrier as well. I laughed out loud at the guy but stopped very quickly once I realised he would probably give me a matching shiner to his sons.

I ski for fun and won't let queue jumpers ruin my time on the slopes... They probably add about 10 secs on to my waiting time per queue jumper so that's not enough for me to make anything off it. Can't be arsed basically.
snow conditions
I've witnessed the same guys do it at Glencoe to be honest and its definitely regulars not ski patrol or anything like that

It's happened every day I've been there this year so not expecting it to change
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy