Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine - Family beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at Montsoleil Apartments for next Jan 15.

Anybody that can give me the low down on this resort and/or apartment ?

TA very much
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All I can say is montsoleil is amazing. Possibly best residence in its price range in Alps. You can ski in out but if you are beginners you can take bus. There is free private minibus to bring children to esf.

You should go for it
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you want a cheaper and IMHO, more convenient option check out http://www.flaine-reservation.co.uk/
Look for apts in Capricorne as this is as near to Grand Vans lift as you can get.
Jan 18th 2014 we paid 332eur for a 4 person apt. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Those apartments are nice but slightly out of town.
You can ski out but if it is your first time skiing this probably won't be an option until about day two or three.
We stayed in the Terrasses De Veret Apartments which are right at the foot of the nursery slopes and Grand Vans lift. These apartments were nice and also convenient.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Our youngest went to the ESI ski school in Flaine and it was excellent. So much so that when she got measles and could not stay in the group class they did a private lesson for her for free.

The oldest was in ESF as she wanted to get her Gold star - had a great instructor. Upped her confidence and technique no end and resulted in her being able to ski any slope well. But best of all it made her really love skiing .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I didn't like it. Mainly because the ski in/out stated in the accomodation blurb is not necessarily so. Skiing out is ok (bit of poling to a short lift), but if you want to ski back, you have to make sure you're in time for the last lift up to Tourmaline, which is around 1615-1630. Miss that and it's a crowded bus trip back up.
As an aside, Tourmaline is madness during the day with traffic and becomes mogulled out by the end (could frighten beginners) + the Grand Vans lift queue was the longest I have ever experienced (over 45 minutes towards the end of some days) as lots of people use it to get back to their respective lodgings in Flaine and other GM resorts.
The apartments are nice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I own an apartment in Montsoleil so I am biased. Having said that, the facilities there are at least as good as any other place in Flaine. There is a heated outdoor swimming pool (if you have kids they will love it), a jacuzzi and sauna, fitness room and (new this season) a bar and restaurant. Yes, it is about a 7 minute walk to the nearest shops but after 6pm there is a free courtesy bus service for anyone staying there, available through until about midnight - when you want to get back you simply call them and they'll come and pick you up.

The ski in ski out facility is open unless the snow is really poor, except for the first and last weeks of the season. What Neraida, says is right, but the poling is for a maximum of about 60 yards, less if you are in the right hand block. Getting back via the Gerats chair does mean coming down Tourmaline, which can be gnarly towards the end of the day, and certainly not ideal for raw beginners or young, tired kids at the end of the day. The ski bus can be a scrum if you want to get back as the lifts are closing, so why not get it a bit earlier or stop off for a drink and wait for the madding crowd to go? The queues for the Grands Vans chair (to access Tourmaline) can be long at the end of the day during busy weeks, but 15 January is not a busy week so I really don't think this would be a problem.

The accommodation itself is far better than the average French standard with decent size rooms and en suite facilities in most of the apartments. If you want any more information feel free to ask or PM me.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
winter2009, The resort is good for beginners and intermediates, not so much for adrenaline junkies. In Flaine, for examle, if you look at the piste map the Serpentine/ Cristal/ Belzebuth blues provide a nice cruising area - RHS of Flaine bowl (looking up) is generally more challenging. The link into the GM can be challenging for an early intermediate (both the Dolomie and Tourmaline pistes), as others have said, but when it's quiet and conditions are good they're fine. A decent blue run/ occasional reds skier will enjoy the GM as much as a more advanced skier imv.

I've never stayed in Montsoleil but Chris obviously knows it well. Although at the upper end of Flaine apartments, it is out of town a bit - I'd rather be nearer the shopping centre in Foret as there's a Spar, a pizza takeaway and a decent pattiserie etc. but that's my preference. It's also convenient to be in walking distance of the ski area and not have to use buses.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have stayed in the beautiful Montsoleil, even broke my elbow, getting out the pool one evening. They are fantastic and we stayed with proper little ones but bussed and courtesy bussed in and out.
The route back skiing can be a scrum in awfully cut up conditions. My kids who are older and more experienced now (dont think i would take them there even now). Part of it is the only route back into Flaine from the rest of the GM so has tired, end of day skiers in often chopped up conditions.
You need to ski it defensively in my opinion.

However Montsoleil cant recommend enough. I love Flaine and the whole GM. You dont say who you are travelling with though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Flaine is a great resort, esp when snow is good. Only other concern is how reliable will good snow be there on 15 jan as it is not particularly high. There will be plenty of snow but will gers bowl definitely be open? (Probably not an issue for beginners)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
winter2009, with a family of beginners, including children, I would go for accommodation very near the ski school meeting place, even if it's not so fancy. You will need to carry the kids' stuff as well as your own and crowded buses are horrible. The kids might be very tired after their lessons and having somewhere close enough to take them home, get them out of their stuff (which might well be wet) and feed them, is far more important IMHO than having the highest standard of accommodation.

Eating on the mountain in Flaine is expensive.

From the descriptions above of the home run you would probably not want to ski it at all in your first week unless you are super-fast learners and only very competent skiers would want to take beginner children down it. I hate having a difficult run home at the end of the day, when legs are tired but I hate a crowded bus even more.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am staying at these apartments next week over half term. Can anyone give me tips on how to avoid the worse queues for ski lifts? What waiting times can we expect? This is our 2nd ski holiday so we will be on blue runs.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stodge, Hello Smile The only tip I have is don't bother trying to get the Grand Vans at the end of the day or right at the start (unless you want to ski down Dolomie, as Tourmaline is like the M25 first thing). Have a drink/rest to avoid the bus scrum as mentioned by Chris Mason if you're ready to go back at closing time.
Tourmaline is quite a long run, as well as being mashed up at the end of the day. You also need to time it right to catch the Gerats lift (which puts you on a green run leading to Montsoleil), so it's a question of good timing or whizzing down really!

Hope that made sense

Confused
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks - that does make sense. Is it therefore the case that the ski back is not worth it unless you have been over in one of the other resorts such as Les Carroz, Morillon?

Are the start and end of day queues as bad on the other side of the bowl e.g. Aup de Veran, Grande Platieras and Tete Des Verds?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spot on. The worst queue in my experience is deffo the Grand Vans at the tail end of the day (there is often a band playing to keep people amused as they wait). The others were normal busy at New Year when I was last there.
snow report
Hi, we've had our apartment in Flaine for quite a few years (not at Montsoliel - it wasn't built) so some comments on the posts based on our experience and friends that have stayed there:
- the Montsoliel apartments are the best in Flaine in terms of finish, amenities, quality, etc and would be highly recommended
- with the development of the Terrasses d'Helios next door with it's shops, restaurants, etc this area will be better serviced in 2015
- the bus links to the rest of the resort are excellent in the day & night so getting around isn't a problem
- likewise walking into the resort isn't that great a distance and is great for warming down after a days skiing
- the pistes served by the Gerats lifts behind the Montsoliel are quiet and great for beginners to practice on
- January is very very quiet so don't worry about queues for lifts or buses
- the Tourmaline piste is difficult for beginners so plan on getting the bus back to the apartment or walking
- consider getting the bus back to the Gerats lift rather than the apartment for the better beginner slopes and to ski back into the building (this is better than trying to walk through the hotel lobby, take lifts, etc)
- also plan on getting the bus in the morning to ski school as the Gerats lift sometimes doesn't start until 09:00 (the same time as ski school starts)
- the best places (and least expensive) to eat during the day are at the bottom of the lifts near to the ski school meeting points in Foret & Forum
- ESI is definitely the better of the ski schools
- half term is much busier than other times of the year but queues aren't a major problem apart form the Grands Vans at the end of the day! Take your time, stop for a drink & get a later bus (it's amazing how less quiet it is just 30 minutes after the Grand Vans has closed)
- Terrasse de Verets & Capricorne apartments will be cheaper and more convenient but not as nice
Please PM me if there are any specific questions
latest report
If we look at booking ourselves when will the flights become available. Take it the airport is Geneva, who fly from Bristol. With Easy Jet

Our children are actually 14 and 12 yes being naughty and looking to take out of School, not debate s please.

Also if we wanted lift passes, equipment and a private lesson on first day who to go with? And what sort of prices. Beginner skis, boots and probably helmets?
latest report
Thanks everyone (particularly "janner") for the very useful info.

For passes we found the Grand Massif to be cheapest when booked on-line in advance, as they could offer family tickets which the hotel couldn't.

Ski hire etc I booked through Pierre Vacances. We have booked 4 ski lessons with http://skiflainemoniteurs.com/

Very naughty taking the kids out of school. I wish my wife would let me do so, would save a fortune!
snow conditions
winter2009, are you complete beginners? If so, you'd probably find you needed more than one lesson. If you look at skimium.com (online ski hire), they'll have a few shops in Flaine and their website will give you a good idea of prices - which won't be that much different, year on year. Look at prices for end March, to be comparable with mid January (ie low season). The ESI's website will have prices, too, as will the GSM website, for lift passes. http://hiver.grand-massif.com/les-tarifs they won't be hugely different next year, hopefully. Yes, Geneva airport.
snow report
Winter2009
- couldn't comment on specifics from Bristol or Easyjet but usually flights start to be available from June/July time
- best airport is definitely Geneva
- either book your ski passes at the Grand Massif website online before you go (they will send them to you in the UK by post & as Stodge says their family packages are best value) to save time & hassle or buy from the kiosks by the lifts in Foret or Forum (NB you can use the Gerats lift once without a pass if you tell the operator you're going to the kiosk)
- best for equipment is Philippe at the Skiset shop in the Foret commercial centre (good equipment, no queues, very helpful) you can book online or they will reserve skis for you at the same price if you send them an e-mail (they even do beginner packages including helmets)
- lessons can be booked with ESI again online or at the office in the Foret commercial centre (in January they will be flexible on options - just tell them what you want)
Stodge
- the skiflainemoniteurs are very experienced more mature instructors and are especially excellent at helping nervous skiers progress - I'm sure you'll learn a lot
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy