Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maybe a dumb question but how long do boots last?

Poster: A snowHead
I bought mine, the only pair I’ve owned, about 8 years ago in Pila. The make is ‘San Marco’ which I think is a no-name version of a more well known brand, but ignorant as I am of such things, I have no idea which. They weren't very expensive, and I had some 'supafeet' insoles cut to fit at the same time (they didn’t offer the thermal fitting process back then, at least not to me).

I’ve worn them on a dozen or so trips over the last few years and although a bit scratched up they are VERY comfortable (can walk around in them all day without aches, pains or blisters) and they don’t seem to be loose when I’m skiing.

I could afford to get ‘better’ boots these days, but these feel like they fit so well I am loathe to swap them just because they are old.

So should I be thinking about new ones? Does their age mean that they are getting loose even though I haven’t noticed? Would more modern boots give me more control, weigh less, help my skiing, impress women, and improve my life beyond recognition, or should I spend my money on lessons and more ski trips? Smile

Advice welcomed.

Cheers

SimonT
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AxsMan, check the interface points for wear, i.e wherever the boot meets the bindings, as long as the wear is not significant you can keep using them until they fall apart, but check regularly
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also, if the liner has packed out, and you end up int he tightest buckle notch, but they are still lose.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boots last until u can no longer handle the derision heaped upon them by peers and (particularly) ski instructors.

I got mine about 17 years ago and I still quite like them but apparently they're past it now rolling eyes

Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
admin wrote:
Boots last until u can no longer handle the derision heaped upon them by peers and (particularly) ski instructors.

Does this mean you'll be buying real skis soon? Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They last anywhere between 80 and 140 skiing days.

The liners are the first to go - they will pack out.

The shell next - the plastic goes soft in all sorts of wrong places, and it no longer flexes appropriately.

My Lange Comp 120's have had it after 180 skiing days. They are as soft as noodles.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
admin, would you like me to post a picture of your 17 year old floopy wellies "easiski's words" not mine.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow! A wealth of information, and not all of it contradictory! Thanks folks. Very Happy

So in summary, provided I have skied them less than 180 days (totting up it’s around 50 odd), the buckles aren’t on their last notch (nowhere near), I can bear the looks of ridicule on the faces of my instructors (when they see me ‘ski’ it’s not my boots they laugh at!), and the bindings grip better than blue-tack, I should be OK with my trusty old footwear for another season or two?

Shame really, I was sort of hoping you’d all tell me to get new ones, if only to impress women (a hopeless cause in my case) rolling eyes

Cheers

SimonT
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
admin wrote:

I got mine about 17 years ago and I still quite like them but apparently they're past it now rolling eyes

Laughing

admin
It is not your boots that are the problem - but your bluffing skills.

You should talk enthusiastically about these new-fangled plastic boots and what a boon they are. Then temper this by admitting that although you have tried all the new models you keep coming back to your tried and trusted brand xx.

Take care not to be seen skiing badly though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

So in summary, provided I have skied them less than 180 days (totting up it’s around 50 odd), the buckles aren’t on their last notch (nowhere near), I can bear the looks of ridicule on the faces of my instructors (when they see me ‘ski’ it’s not my boots they laugh at!), and the bindings grip better than blue-tack, I should be OK with my trusty old footwear for another season or two?

Equipment is everything, without seeing you ski in your current boots, it's hard to say if you should go for new boots.

However - newer designs, materials, injection moulding processes, shift in thinking from stiff fore-aft boots to stiff lateral boots etc, etc. it's highly likely that a new pair of modern boots would change your skiing, give you more control, impress women etc.

I'm assuming of course you aren't still skiing on a pair of 8 year old skis.

Try to think of skis and boots as a system.

Boots are an integral part of the skiing system - they are your ski's handles.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
veeeight,

Ah that's more like it, encouragement to visit the kit shops - just what I was looking for! Laughing

My skis's were new last season; a pair of 05 Bandit B2's. Don't think I really do them justice but they feel great.

Quote:

without seeing you ski in your current boots, it's hard to say if you should go for new boots.

If you had seen me ski in my current boots, you'd probably recommend a zimmer frame, (or that I take up line dancing instead) snowHead

Maybe I'll keep my eyes open for a bargain this year, it's always nice to look!

Thanks for all the advice!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Simon,

What you need to do is book yourself a long weekend to somewhere with a recommended boot fitter, Footworks in chamonix and precision in Val D'Isere come well recommended.

They will then take a look at your boots, sell you a new pair if necessary, and you can then ski in them, returning if necessary for fitting tweaks etc etc.

Cheers,

Greg

PS There you go, encouragement to ski and shop Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AxsMan, chin up and be proud of San Marco (hardly a no-name, wasn't it "Head by San Marco" for years?) and keep them until you find the perfect pair gregh mentions.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Old boots do get plastic fatigue. May not be a problem as it sounds like your boots aren't that old. My father's old rear entry boots fell apart a few years ago - he asked if he could have mine of a similar vintage. I said they'd probably fail similarly - sure enough he got to the top of a chair one day went to ski off and his ski (with boot sole attached) set off while he (with remainder of boot round his foot) went in another direction. I wish I'd been there for the entertainment value Very Happy Now all he had to do was download & hire a new pair but it would have been a different story if he'd been halfway down the mountain.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My old Dachsteins were old enough to buy beer in America before they finally got too loose/soft! I'm now very happy in a pair of Tecnicas.
snow report
AxsMan, San Marco were taken over by Head, so no problems about quality, how long do boots last? Well, one of my sons., killed a pair of TNT race boots in a season, although he did get a replacement pair free of charge, thank you Ellis Brigham. I, on the other hand have been skiing for 5 decades and I've only ever had 4 pairs of boots, my current pair are Heads about 6 years old, great boots and they should last at least another 4 years minimum. I ski at least one month a year, so I reckon my boots get about twice average use for a UK skier, I don't ski on dry slopes now but I used to be a club insructor, skiing twice a week. I can't say that it felt as if made any difference to the wear of my boots. Just keep wearing them, they don't get worn in until they're at least 5 years old.
snow conditions
I have a story on this subject which may touch a few hearts.

Some years ago I bought boots here in the UK from Snow & Rock. As I have quite difficult ankles to fit they were foam fit and quite expensive. Having spent about four months in the Alps one season with a few good years usage before, I had about twenty five weeks intensive usage out of them, by which time they were starting to feel somewhat like carpet slippers.

As cash flow was a bit tight (that's what happens if you take a year off) I took them back to Snow & Rock to see if they could do anything. I explained the amount of usage I had out of the boots and said to the boot fitter, that although I probably needed a new pair, was there anything they could do with the old ones. Although I said cash flow was a bit tight I quite frankly fancied a new pair of boots in some ways and I felt as I went into the shop as though I had a neon sign flashing on my forehead saying "I want to spend three hundred pounds on a new pair of ski boots".

The boot fitter, who was not the person I bought them from some years ago, checked my feet, checked the boots and said no problem - they could shave a bit off here, put some padding in there etc. etc. and would I mind waiting half an hour. Half an hour later I walked out of the shop, a little disappointedly really, having spent the princely sum of about eight quid on getting the old boots fixed.

Off to the mountains I went and the boots were just great. I probably had about another nine weeks out of them over three years, at the end of which they were a bit loose again, although not as bad as before.

Back to Snow & Rock I go with the old boots and with that neon sign flashing even brighter. I saw a different boot fitter and dammit the same thing happened as before! About an hour later out I walked forlornly out of the door having spent about another eight quid getting the old boots fixed again.

Well I got a couple more years out of them and they were fine but by then I had really decided I wanted new pair. Off to Snow & Rock again I went, but this time there was no way I was going to take the old ones with me. They were not going to outsmart me any more.

Even then after I explained that my old pair needed to be foam fit they said that with the newer technology (about ten years newer) that might not be necessary. They were right and I went away with new boots at last and spent about fifty pounds less than I expected. I still have them with about twelve weeks usage on them.

I have heard some criticism of Snow & Rock recently, perhaps because they have become so big, but they were just brilliant to me.
ski holidays
Clearly spent some time in kensington SnR. Nice One. Now get some real skis.
snow report
I am light on my equipment, but I expect to get AT LEAST 2 years (60 weeks) out of a pair of boots. The average would be around 4 years or 120 weeks. Having said that, I know most of my male colleagues change every year or may be two.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy