Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sella Ronda from Canazei - Green or Orange?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are a couple of not-very-confident intermediates heading to Canazei next week, and determined to do the Sella Ronda. (Stayed previously in La Villa and did the wonderful Hidden Valley run but didn't venture to the Sella Ronda.)

My question is which way to do it, clockwise or anti-clockwise - which is easier for our perhaps nervous knees?

Any other tips very welcome too!

Thanks all Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not much in it imho. Anti clockwise skips 1 tricky bit near end of day.
Not sure when full loop will reopen. 1 section still shut both ways between canazei and arabba, due to snowmageddon.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yikes andy, thanks for the tip - hope we make it there this Saturday. Our transfer from Venice has already delayed a few hours. Sounds like it will be pretty nice when we do get there though!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Certainly no lack of snow Wink
Only 320cm in arabba!
They're pisting the missing section, so assume it will reopen soon.
Lovely snow though Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And the good news is.... Dolomiti superski saying sella ronda open both ways from today Smile snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stayed in Campitello 3 weeks ago and would say Green first. Some of the reds on the Orange route are quite dark red and could be called black by a resort wanting more blacks for the stats. The run down from the top of Arabba cuts up a lot and towards the end of the day each bump is occupied by a person or random item of ski kit... Passed lots of people looking terrified at the top of the first bumpy steep red down from Boe lift with the Portovescovo section still to come. Worth trying the Arabba bit early in the day at least once before trying the whole thing with tired legs.

Also orange route seemed to have a bit where the only obvious route was black. Not a horrible black but marked as a black if that bothers you. There were signs to a detour via blues but we don't mind blacks in good snow so never looked for it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andy, Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The most difficult red runs on the Sella Ronda are the pitch off the top of Arabba at Porta Vescovo on the clockwise orange and the pitch off the Ciampinoi in Selva on the anti-clockwise green, both can get pretty cut up in the afternoon, but the orange at Arabba is steeper, so I would suggest the green to start with.

A good idea that's already been mentioned is to head over on the green to Arabba for a trial trip and turn back on the orange do the run off the Porta Vescovo in the morning before it gets cut up, then at least you will know that you've done the steepest part of the Sella Ronda.

http://www.piste-maps.co.uk/Piste-Maps/Italy/SellaRonda-PisteMap-2013.jpg
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and bear in mind, as already hinted at by Randomsabreur, there is usually an easier route/option. i.e. (orange route) The drop off the Portovescovo - if you look too the far right of the piste you will see a 'track' which the more 'conservative' skier will find 'helpful' Smile
:: top of Belvedere bowl (know by reps as 'Kamakazie Corner' - the alternative is to go left
:: from the top of Passo Sella into Selva you can do on a Blue all the way into the village...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 7-02-14 19:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Apparently the reps call the Portovescovo area the graveyard due to the numbers strewn across is. I didn't fancy the easy route due to numbers. We were under time pressure due to navigational ineptitude which tends to improve my skiing.

As steep busy runs goes the lack of drops helps make it less intimidating. Either Canazei or Campitello lifts work well although there's some extra pistes before the Sella Ronda itself from Canazei.

If planning to do hidden valley avoid the blue route back across Alta Badia to Cherz One run (Pralongia) was more or less flat in total and although I had the best gliding skis ever (1 person passed me on the flat on the way back from the hidden valley) no one was getting up the other side of the dips and everyone had to herringbone as it wasn't skatable. Apparently it's normally quite fun but the quantity of snow made it ridiculously hard work. Better return via Corvara and Sella Orange.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just did sella Ronda orange with a load of sH, so it is indeed open Smile snowHead
Don't forget... New dantercepies gondola coming up from selva now has mid station... Stay on till top! Wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all for the tips Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
5RED, I think you should try both directions on different days and report back - I may well follow my own advice on 8th March ( well 9th ) when I am off to La Villa.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The most difficult red runs on the Sella Ronda are the pitch off the top of Arabba at Porta Vescovo on the clockwise orange

yes, that was our first run this morning, and it was steep - but it was well groomed and is very wide. That top pitch is black, really - I wouldn't like to do it covered in moguls in the fog. Skullie
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There are a few blacks available on the Sella Ronda, but I think all can be avoided if you don't fancy them, but bear in mind they are usually in good condition. As mentioned above, orange route down from Portavescovo is the most challenging.

If the weather is looking iffy, particularly with high winds, thick low cloud, green is a safer bet as you don't go up to Portavescovo. If any lifts are to close in the afternoon (and I have seen this happen, though thankfully not while I was the wrong side of Arabba), it will be here.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy