Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why off piste ?!

Poster: A snowHead
fatbob, what's worse, I needed to get a whole load of bankers to do it - not known generally to be particularly patient and also immune to any paltry incentive I might have been able to offer Skullie

Fortunately I had quite a few friends and family working in the industry who filled out the questionnaires and also "asked" their colleagues and friends to do it too (they were of course all strictly anonymous) - it would have been impossible otherwise. And yes, you do need to give people a sufficient story beforehand, not so much about what you're asking and why as this will affect people's responses, but more about why you're doing the course in the first place and what you hope to achieve with it in the future (and why, therefore, their help is greatly appreciated). Also good to follow up and let them know they helped you to a distinction Little Angel as it means they'll be more likely to help other students in the future.

Something to think about when you're picking your topic - who are you realistically going to be able to get to answer your boring questionnaire?! Doing something about university students is probably the best choice wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Serriadh, mmmmm - I'm not sure about that. The attacks are quite, well, personal for someone disconnected with the forum.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gorilla wrote:
Serriadh, mmmmm - I'm not sure about that. The attacks are quite, well, personal for someone disconnected with the forum.

Bit of an axe to grind for someone unconnected to CSS though.

Anyone on the birthday bash fancy getting one of the moderators drunk and finding out? wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fi_merc, So what is your definition of 'Extreme Sport' ? I ski offpiste, ski tour, MTB, ski race, telemark -- but would not say that any of them are extreme ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ski, to be fair to the OP, I suspect that's the research -

"Part of the research looks at the classification of extreme and non extreme sports... I am intrigued to see what you crazy people who don't stick to the trails would rate yourselves."
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice reference to the Milton Pong here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton,_Cambridgeshire
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski wrote:
fi_merc, So what is your definition of 'Extreme Sport' ?

Maybe sports where you need to take an avi bag, probe, shovel and transceiver in case you (or your companion as you're not supposed to be participating in this activity on your own) get buried alive by an avalanche - the sort of thing you don't take with you to the tennis court or bowling green perhaps? wink

Quite interesting that on this forum we're discussing people skiing things that are scarily steep, where even when you understand the conditions really well there's no guarantee you're not going to get someone above you kicking ice off a cornice onto you, where we'll happily slate an ESF instructor for taking you there without safety equipment, places where it's very difficult to maintain control, and when even on a well-known route like the Vallee Blanche with a guide, a snow bridge can collapse under you and you'll die (as happened a couple of weeks ago)… and still you guys doing this kind of stuff can't bring yourselves to tick the 'yes I participate in an extreme sport' box!

You are extreme. Own it. wink

Yes, yes, I know… no need to say it Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And then you venture out on the roads in a steel safety-cage with crumple zones and seat belts and airbags and where around 8 people die every day.

It all depends where you're coming from.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
altis wrote:
And then you venture out on the roads in a steel safety-cage with crumple zones and seat belts and airbags and where around 8 people die every day.

It all depends where you're coming from.

+1

I'm always quite scared when I have to drive to the mountain while it's snowing. I feel a lot better once I reach the mountain (and managed to make my way across the frozen parking without falling). Because from then on, I have 2 sets of steel edges to help me maintain control...

As for skier above kicking ice down on you, how about the driver following WAY too close behind when the road is wet???

To me, it all boils down to familiarity. Once you accepted the risk of driving on busy roads when it's wet or snowy, the "danger" is no longer as "extreme". The same is true when you strap on an avalanche backpack. You've just added another safety layer to mitigate the risk.

I'm going to say it. Very few here participate in "extreme" sport. Not in our mind, NO!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 7-02-14 18:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I bet more people peg out in ski resorts from heart attacks while putting on boots or getting up from lunch than off piste skiing. Do they have an extreme footwear or lunching version of the questionnaire? One ski related bus crash e.g. in the Sierre tunnel kills way more kiddies than on piste avalanches ever will.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
But she's asking about sports. There are risks all over the place, of course there are - I've already mentioned uneven paving stones. And people can have a heart attack going for a jog in the park if the've got an underlying condition and no, of course, it's not seen as an extreme sport. But if you participate in a sport where you risk your life if you make a mistake, then it's a little different from simply facing a humiliating defeat at the hands of your opponent and that would make it simple enough to do someone a favour and tick the yes box.

Hey ho, you are extremely stubborn, that's for sure. Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
altis wrote:
take a look at many of the thousands of videos of the extreme skiers. After hucking a cliff, or whatever, they go on to write perfect 'S's in the snow on the run out. They are travelling so fast that, even though unpisted, the snow will feel relatively hard.

It's a shame we don't have anyone like this posting on snowHeads.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
S23. Please pick which option describes you best

I would like to meet some persons who are homosexual (men or women)
I stay away from anyone I suspect of being “gay or lesbian”

I like the way it precludes the option that you might already be friends with any of the above.

There a more than a few questions which need an option 'c' "I don't care one way or another."
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
edit: actually, think I've said all I should on this thread… over to the OP wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
miranda, Laughing

I was going to reply to your original but not to worry. Mrs AAT is working on a masters research\dissertation at the moment so it's a subject I've been forced to give some thought too recently.
ski holidays
I'm sure you can "prove" anything you need to with those questionnaires, but statistically at least it's going to be useless - you haven't even defined your terms! Sure, my sport is "extreme" - the logo on my t-shirt has that word on it, so it must be true. I'll be sure to boast about it to everyone down the pub tomorrow, they'll be so impressed.

Presumably the real study is categorising these responses and deducing how gullible we are.
latest report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
miranda, Laughing

I was going to reply to your original but not to worry. Mrs AAT is working on a masters research\dissertation at the moment so it's a subject I've been forced to give some thought too recently.

ha, yes, sorry… Obviously no one on here is doing anything that falls into the category of extreme sports, so unfortunately the OP is not going to get much help from snowHeads and there's nothing to be done about that.

No idea what Mrs AAT is studying but, if i am eligible to respond to anything she needs people to, then feel free to PM and let me know. snowHead
latest report
Quote:

I am intrigued to see what you crazy people who don't stick to the trails

It seems I cannot take part in this study. I am not crazy.................
ski holidays
miranda, Cheers, will do Smile
ski holidays
Many years ago a psychology student refused to come on to a fairground with us because she couldn't "see how ANYONE could get any enjoyment out of those places". snowHead
ski holidays
Gave up on page 1
She seems to expect answers on one sport - surely most of us do at least a couple as well as skiing?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy