Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why are girls so much worse than guys?

Poster: A snowHead
Richard_Sideways, Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At least they were riding their snowboards side-saddle, like a proper lady should.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lynseyf wrote:
bobmcstuff wrote:
It's the same in other "extreme" sports like downhill/freeride MTB, the women's looks comparatively amateur compared to the men's.

Either it's caused by testosterone or it's just not cool for women to do it so there's far less uptake.

No that's not what I meant at all, if as a little girl growing up you never see any women in the park, you might not even think it's an option for you as a girl. The number of girls is increasing and the talent is going up, not watched any boarders for a while but I think the female freeskiers are far from amateur looking now, little girls will see this and want to go in the park so the next generation will be even better, pretty much one of the major points the girls of Pretty faces were making.

meh I take it you have all these films on constant loop for your little girl, here's a bed time story to add to the list

http://www.stack.com/2013/01/09/mountain-guide-sheldon-kerr/

I think that's what I meant when I said "it's just not cool for women to do it so there's far less uptake" though. Less women park skiers = less coverage = girls/women don't see it as a cool thing to go and do.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Richard_Sideways, Laughing Laughing Laughing but you forgot about the risk to breaking a nail wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bobmcstuff wrote:
I think that's what I meant when I said "it's just not cool for women to do it so there's far less uptake" though. Less women park skiers = less coverage = girls/women don't see it as a cool thing to go and do.

I think it's just as important for girls to see women like them out there doing it.

The good thing about park riding now is that as well as the girls with multicoloured hair, laid-back style, there's the pretty girly girls with blonde hair and makeup now being successful. You don't have to forsake your femininity to take part. It sounds really shallow and frivelous but personally I find that really reassuring - you don't have to dress like a guy or act like one to take part if you don't want to. I'm not especially girly, but I do take a little bit of pride in some things and sometimes the idea of needing to dress a certain way (think cycling and lycra) or stuff like that can really put you off at a basic level.

I'm aware that's probably going to sound wrong and plenty of women don't feel like that or relate in that way, but I'm not sure how to say it any other way.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
call me dave, if you are a girl you have the best user name ever, when someone makes some sweeping statement about me online due to the few facts they think they know about me I always say I am really a trucker called Dave Smile

Zero_G, skiing is terrible on the nails, despite wearing gloves all day mine always end up all split and broken in the winter, what it's a serious problem!

bobmcstuff, it's not so much that it's not cool, it's more that less girls will even see it as something they can do, or they might quite fancy it but not have any friends to go with or the guts to spend all day in a park with the boys.

Anyway i think this argument is a few years out of date as there are much more girls coming through and they are doing much bigger tricks, I'm always seeing some video of some 12 year old doing 1080s or something
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lynseyf,

Agree. A friend of mine's son is in a freestyle club and she said in the 6-12 age group at least 50% are girls and two of the coaches are girls too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In the past, there wasn't as much competition in the women's categories for freestyle events. Girls who could 360 and slide a rail were winning comps and getting sponsored. This is going back a good few years, but at the same time, there were far more guys competing who were hungry, so to win or get sponsored they had to push themselves harder and take more risks.

The girls could have tried for more spins, or corks or inverts, but why risk it when you know you could win the comp with a 540, or even just by hitting the largest kicker.

Now, there are a lot more girls taking part, so they're needing to push themselves and the level is really starting to increase. But they are way behind the level of the guys. We may see a few doubles in competitions in the next year or so, but that's where the guys were 10 years ago.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 7-02-14 13:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lynseyf, that's exactly why I chose the username Wink Both my work and leisure time is in male dominated environments so I have encyclopaedic knowledge about stereotypically male stuff. People listen to what you say in that environment if they think it's from a guy. If it's from a girl, they make certain judgements before you've even opened your mouth to speak. Sad but true! It's out of habit rather than a conscious choice on here, mind you Smile

It's great to hear that as many girls as boys are into the sport at a young age now. I think it's fair to say the freestyle culture in the UK is very strong, even if we lack the real outdoor snow to play in. And for a male dominated culture and community there's surprisingly little backstabbing and handbagging, everyone encourages each other to improve and try new things. It's a really positive environment.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Am I right in saying that the snowboard slopestyle course in Sochi is the same for both men and women? In which case there's a lot of ladies out there with more balls than Shaun White. Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I was a kid we were taught that girls don't play mainstream sports (as seen on TV), we only play games like Netball which is a game nobody gives a crap about but it gets girls doing exercise without risking them biffing each other or getting the least bit scuffed up or dirty.

All our elders still had this mindset that we were fragile little flowers to be protected from dangerous stuff. Skirts were mandatory at school so any rough and tumble playground activity was positively indecent.

Most of our mums were harried stay at home parents who didn't appear to do anything of interest besides ironing.

I never in my life heard someone say to a scared or crying little girl "stop crying and get on with it!" but you bet they will say that to the boys.

It's not like I am some kind of historical relic, this was only a couple of decades ago!

This stuff is changing though, and now the girls wear trousers to school and they play football in PE and a lot of them have mums who do cool poo-poo themselves and encourage their daughters to do the same. I'll wager that the next generation of little girls kicks more ass than we did and the ones after that will be ruling the world while the boys are down the pub.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dbaskls wrote:
Am I right in saying that the snowboard slopestyle course in Sochi is the same for both men and women? In which case there's a lot of ladies out there with more balls than Shaun White. Smile

No, there's alternate jumps for the girls. Still massive, but smaller than the ones for guys.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jimmer wrote:
dbaskls wrote:

No, there's alternate jumps for the girls. Still massive, but smaller than the ones for guys.

Is it really such a clean split? I know there are different sizes of jumps but I thought some of the girls went off some of the bigger ones and some of the guys went off some of the smaller ones depending on skill and what tricks they wanted to do? Do none of the girls go off any of the big jumps? I've been watching more DH mtbing than skiing recently and while it is true more guys go off the big jumps there than girls there are always some of the girls who do all the big jumps, I just assumed it was the same in skiing?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After having just been on my first skiing holiday with my sister and our boyfriends I would vote to say our level of self preservation is Waayyyy higher than theres! Not that this is always a good thing... as I have found this week my fear of hurting myself / flying out of control has hindered my progress to a few blue runs.... where as my partner who has skied 4 hours in the snow dome just the same as me was flying down black runs / red runs and blue runs with hardly any fear!?
He gets scared and this excites him... I get scared, freeze up and think 'Ah gawd....!!'..... completely different reactions to fear!

That said despite my lack of mileage and experience on more runs.. I would beg to argue that my technique is pretty good compared to him! wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The tricks in the women's moguls sucked too. Yeah the actual bump skiing was rad, but seriously a 360 is the Olympic standard?! The average 10 year old in an alpine snow park goes bigger than that.
ski holidays
dbaskls, jimmer, lynseyf,

all the girls chose to go off the big jumps.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
the actual bump skiing was rad, but seriously a 360 is the Olympic standard?! The average 10 year old in an alpine snow park goes bigger than that.

Well, therein lies the hope for the future, doesn't it? If you've got 10 year olds doing that sort of stuff, then imagine what sort of stuff they'll be doing by the time they're competing and, hopefully, watching the competition at Sochi will be inspiring 10 year old girls to want to compete.

I think the fact that women's sport cannot be enjoyed in its own right, without constantly comparing it to men's sport, is a problem - it's pointless trying to draw direct comparisons all the time. I thought the women's slopestyle this morning was really exciting as an event in its own right… but of course it was described as "awful" by a poster on here because we were all supposed to be thinking about what the men were up to rather than focusing on what the women were doing. I know bug all about the sport so just found it exciting to watch. Jenny Jones had a perfect run and went top, and then someone did a 1080 and it was the first for a woman to do that in the Olympics and they overtook her - that's something to focus on, because it will set a new, higher benchmark, won't it? (again, fully admit I know bug all about the sport and so happy to be corrected if I'm talking nonsense).
ski holidays
miranda, I've no idea what the men are doing trick-wise in the moguls either, just very surprised that such a standard trick is the olympic standard.
snow conditions
clarky999, yes, I appreciate you were saying the kids are doing more these days rather than making reference to what the men are up to…. hopefully some of those 10 year old kids are girls(!)… but this thread is all about why the "girls are worse than the guys". It was more a general observation about the way people often talk about women's sports (that and commenting on whether they're hot or whether they're lesbians, of course). If it's not enough participation, it would be good if we were encouraging girls to get involved and set new boundaries, not just slate the state of women's sport so it doesn't seem that aspirational after all (yeah, you can get a medal but, really, they're all pretty poo-poo anyway)… again, not a dig at you and your comment about the women doing "rad" moguls!
ski holidays
there's a major problem about girls participation in sport - I love watching the kids on their scooters and bikes in the local park, but wish there were more girls. My 4 year old grand-daughter is mad about her bike at the moment and her parents are very encouraging (dad is a PE teacher constantly despairing at girls' participation) but the peers are into pink frilly fairy stuff. In spades.

Anything which encourages girls to get involved in sport should be welcomed with open arms. A woman getting the UK's first Olympic snowsport medal is a very good start.
snow report
jimmer wrote:
dbaskls wrote:

But they weren't using the smaller jumps.

Almost all of them went off the biggest kickers, just like the men did.

And the smaller ones were there for the men as well, if they had wanted to use them.
snow conditions
hobbiteater wrote:
dbaskls, jimmer, lynseyf,

all the girls chose to go off the big jumps.

Thanks that's what I thought
ski holidays
dbaskls wrote:

Maybe so, but their hair isn't as nice.
ski holidays
Maybe its to do with the fact that men are generally heavier than women. So they have a lot more weight carrying them over the jumps so end up flying of the jumps higher because of speed. You can do more tricks higher. Or that could be a load of crap... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
pam w, never realised Alain Baxter was a woman Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
miranda wrote:
I think the fact that women's sport cannot be enjoyed in its own right, without constantly comparing it to men's sport, is a problem - it's pointless trying to draw direct comparisons all the time.

Problem or not, it's anyone's gut reaction watch those two events back to back. On one event, even those who didn't make the podium were flipping in all axis. In another, the winner participants were only rotating on one axis. Which one is more exciting to watch? Can you blame people to think the other was BORING!

It just so happes the boring one were all girls.

Would you say that about figure skating or gymnastic? NO! Both the men's and women's competitions were pretty interesting and exicting to watch.
snow report
abc, I guess it's the competition that interests me. I could quite happily watch darts, snooker and petanque as well as 'adrenaline' sports, martial arts, Olympic boxing (still not up for the professional version I don't think but haven't tried for a while)… anything really. To say the women's slope style was "awful" and find it "BORING" because they weren't doing the same tricks as the men is strange for someone like me, who just really enjoys watching competitive sport.
snow conditions
If I turned on the TV and saw only the women's event, I might be satified with the beauty of it. But seeing it right after the man's event, you can't say you don't see the difference to find it startling!

And yes, it's a let down.

And it doesn't do much to say man and woman are even competing at a similar level. They're not even close.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The guys definitely pull bigger tricks in the air (not so much of a difference on the rails). I totally started wondering why this is, because it doesn't seem to be about brawn. Is it just men's heavier body shapes give more inertia, more amplitude, more spin? Is it a physical brawn thing? Or (my theory) just that boys are approximately 9000x more stupid than girls and dare each other to kill themselves all the time, which girls tend not to quite so much?
snow conditions
abc wrote:

And it doesn't do much to say man and woman are even competing at a similar level. They're not even close.

I don't think anyone has, have they?! Must have missed that bit if someone has said that, but they obviously aren't - there'd be no point having separate competitions for men and women if they were.

I think any sport that is dependent upon physical strength is going to be different because woman are obviously less muscular than men - I also think the point has been made that this is still a developing sport for women, with lower participation rates in general. A less than perfect run with a 1080 beat a perfect run without one - this is a good thing as it means the benchmark is moving. 1080s might be a breeze for the men who have to do them as an absolute minimum but, as has been said, the men's sport is far more developed and has had a higher participation rate. If people really want to see the women's game taken to greater heights, banging on about it being BORING and awful is hardly inspiring for the young girls we should be hoping want to take up the gauntlet.
snow report
Quote:

banging on about it being BORING and awful is hardly inspiring for the young girls we should be hoping want to take up the gauntlet.

armchair muppets. Those girls were amazing. One wrong move and they end up with a broken neck.
snow report
miranda wrote:
abc wrote:

I don't think anyone has, have they?! Must have missed that bit if someone has said that, but they obviously aren't - there'd be no point having separate competitions for men and women if they were.

No one said that but it should be said.

Women ARE competing at SIMILAR level in many events. Just take a look at women's mogul. The women are flipping upside down and they are doing all the things guys are doing, albeit not quite as many of rotations as the guys. That's more like it!

If you look at the gap between man and woman mogul, you'll see why some of us think women's slopestyle is way, way below our expectation when compare with men's slopestyle.
ski holidays
But who won a medal? Laughing
snow conditions
there are already girls throwing cab double corks so realistically there only a couple of years behind the guys.

realistically girls just arent as strong or most of the time, as big and heavy so they cant generate the same speed between kickers to get the air time required to land the bigger tricks.
ski holidays
Most skiing and road cycling I prefer to watch the women's events. Road cycling is more interesting and less dominated by the power of the peleton. Skiing l find the finesse of womens slalom more interesting than the blast down it of the mens.

However, I did think the quality of the women's freethingy this morning looked pretty pants. Maybe as it is a new event.
ski holidays
Let's be honest,girls are worse than guys at 99% of sports so why would this be any different?
snow report
emwmarine wrote:
Most skiing and road cycling I prefer to watch the women's events.

I feel the same way about Football.

http://youtube.com/v/jKzujiHV_wg
latest report
FullyTucked, how brave of you to have that as your "first post". Welcome to snowHeads wink
latest report
miranda wrote:
FullyTucked, how brave of you to have that as your "first post". Welcome to snowHeads wink

Possibly demonstrates why snow heads shouldn't allow multiple user ids.
ski holidays
emwmarine, I agree!! I hate this multiple ID nonsense rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy