Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Revelstoke / Red Mountain With a 3 Year Old

Poster: A snowHead
Evening all,
I have been thinking about going to Whistler with family next year, but not sure I actually fancy it enough to warrant the outlay. As an alternative I'm considering a 2 centre trip which will likely include Silver Star (family friendly) and if I get my way either Revelstoke or Red Mountain.
From what I can there ain't much at either Revelstoke or Red Mountain so only concern is if it would work with a 3 yr old or not???
Any first hand experience out there able to offer advice?
Ta
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nickr, Been to both, is your 3 yo skiing ?
Both are great places especially with fresh snow and some good skiing. What do you want to know ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey Bones,

No, she's not skiing yet. The plan would be to book her in childcare part time and take 1/2 day ski lessons for the rest of the time or something along those lines.

To be honest, its my wife who wants to go to Silver Star. Because it is marketed as a 'family resort' she seems to think it would be a better option with more things to do in the evening or if you wanted to take an afternoon off and spend time with the little one.

I'm not convinced by this, and I really would like to do Revelstoke and Red. From what I can see both have the kids lessons and childcare facilities we need plus good accommodation options with swimming pools and small towns nearby for off-slope diversions.

However, I am yet to convince the missus, so I guess what I want to know is, would Silver Star really be such a better option for a family holiday?

I need ammo to bring her round!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nickr, quick question - what sort of skiing are you looking for?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We like to ski pretty steep off-piste, moguls and easy trees with the odd well groomed piste for a bit of a change. We do like to challenge ourselves a bit and have enjoyed Fernie, Kicking Horse, Jackson Hole etc in the past.

We're at a point where if we ski in Europe we need to hire a guide or spend a lot of money of avalanche safety equipment. We feel we get much of the skiing we like to do in bounds at many US / Canadian resorts.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Silver Star is a good family resort. it has pond skating, best tubing and sleigh rides, mini snow mobile things.

The glades are good at Silver Star, so I wouldn't totally diss it as part of a two centre.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nickr, ahhhh, that puts a totally different complexion on your question Happy

As gryphea, suggests, I haven't skied Silver Star but it looks ok. Revelstoke has nothing to talk of at base, but is a proper small town. Assuming you can get childcare and stuff appropriately, I'd think it was totally fine. It also boasts "British Columbia's best sex shop, 2008", which has to count for something.

Red looks about the same. Naff all near the hill, but with a town. Probably crap sex shops though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nickr, Well considering what you like to ski, Revvy or Red really. Silver Star is a great fun place to ski and has a decent base area with plenty of lodging etc, but would still get a bit quiet in an evening. We skied there for a day and had a great time but didnt seem too challenging from what I recall. Tame compared to the other two, we may have wanted another day there really but that would have been it. Its different though from the buillding styles and resort layout. only a couple of hours drive from Revelstoke too Madeye-Smiley Red would be about 5 hours from Silver Star IIRC.

Rossland didnt have that much going on in the evening when we were there, but If you went there you would be having a car and so could also go to Nelson/ Whitewater as well to ski (around an hour away ) Revelstoke has the goods, base area probably still limited, but a true Canadian town to stay in and for nightlife wink but if they havent had much fresh snow will be a bit limited. Great trees and bowls though. No idea about childcare at any of these.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think we'll be avoiding the sex shop, the last thing I need is the missus getting amorous and us ending up with more kids and even less money for ski trips!

Looking more and more like 6 or 7 nights at either Big White or Silver Star and 3 or 4 nights at Revelstoke. Funds don't seem to be stretching quite as far as I'd hoped.

Thanks all
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
None of them bad options. Silver Star has some good stuff and the family tag means that there aren't too many people lapping it but the fake painted frontier town look is irritating IMV. Revy & Red deserve their places on the top "resorts for real skiers" lists. If town's got a pool and a soft play area and the resort a creche, what more do you need? Stay in town at either place though. Base areas aren't super big
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nickr, i'm going to throw a wild card in, maybe not for your upcoming trip, but throwing a little cash at avvy kit is not a bad thing and a cheap in every other respect but with guides trip to, say, Monterosa might be fun... Happyt
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We went to Monterosa in 2009 and hired a guide for a couple of days. Was good fun, although conditions were not great. I have a love hate relationship with skiing in Italy. Love the people, food and scenery etc but the skiing on-piste is a bit boring. Mainly easy cruising and they always seem to flatten the moguls - why would you do that!!!

The issue for me with avy gear is that whilst it increases your chances of survival, you still have a good chance of getting buried. That goes for hiring a guide too - I've read plenty of news stories in recent years about guided groups getting caught out. My attitude seems to have changed since the arrival of my daughter - my balls appear to have shrunk and I take fewer risks than before! As I see it, the safest option is to ski off-piste in a controlled environment.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you are taking a 3yr old to silver star then might be worth a look at Snowbird lodge its has a "kids playroom" with play equipment suitable for
3yr old. Most of the rooms have hot tub on balcony only a couple of 1 beds units and studios don't. The skating and tubing highly recommended, and the ski school. Firelight lodge also great, hotubes only on the ground floor and gas barbecue, there is a hot tub on a patio area for guest with out tubs. The skateing rink and the tubing are on your doorstep and the bowling alley is in the basement. You can use the silver queen lift and nursey slope if 3yr old want to ski abit with parent. It would be a walk across the main car park in an evening for food.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nickr, why would they flatten the moguls? I have no idea. You are a man after my own heart Cool Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Joneski, looks like we're heading to Big White now instead of Silver Star. Looked at the Snowbird Lodge and it looks great, but as it turns out, one my wife's old school friends owns a bar at Big White, which is weird since she comes from Tamworth! But hey, we might get some free beers and a local guide for a day.... sold it to me!
ski holidays
We are giving BW a miss this year, don't stay in ptarmigan lodge (we stayed 2yrs ago it was awful) it was shabby no wifi (we borrowed next doors wifi Embarassed ) The skiing was mixed Saturday was awful full of kids with out parental control Sunday a bit better the rest of the week empty slopes.
snow report
Looking at staying at either Grizzly Lodge or Stonebridge Lodge - both have a hot tub on balcony option which is a nice touch.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy