Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does Scotland have the deepest snow in Europe right now ?

Poster: A snowHead
protosaurus wrote:
I had a great day skiing at Glenshee today, sunny all day but cloudier to start with before the sun really burst through the clouds in the afternoon, no wind to speak of. And the snow was at an unbelievable depth!

Looks stunning. Is that Glas Maol?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes Gaza the photos were taken on and around Glas Maol, the off piste near Glas Maol was great fun, and the views were stunning from the top.

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The above photos remind me of the tale of an American on his European tour. In the Vatican he sees a gold phone, he asks the pope what it's for. Pope says it's a direct line to God, only €10000 per min. In Rosslyn Chapel in Scotland he sees a plain black plastic phone, again asks what it's for. The minister says it's a direct line to God, only 10p per min. Wow that's cheap says the yank.... Aye laddie, it's a local call from here.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks beautiful!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dode wrote:
Aye laddie, it's a local call from here.

Brilliant. And, excuse the pun, given the photos above there is a ring of truth about that!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice Glenshee deepness. And this, shamelessly robbed from winterhighland comparing a view up the main basin yesterday with a similar one from early last season shows how transformative a deep base is for the likes of Glencoe. In all seriousness, I prefer Glencoe with some rocks to weedle through but having so much snow, it rocks too.

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i liked the top one with the queue above, that would be a good waste of 40 mins skiing time.
Scotttish piste skiing could be summarised as two minutes skiing down 4o mins in a queue…

Off piste of course, very good...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You're a glass half empty kinda guy, aren't you?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nozawaonsen wrote:
I've spent many years living close to the mountains in Europe and Japan. During that time there have always been fantastic (often relatively small) local hills which I would hit over and again every week from the first snowfalls dodging the rocks through to the final spring bumps.

That said if friends were visiting for a week and asked where they should head to I would rarely (if ever) suggest the local hills. It wasn't that you couldn't build together a week long experience, you could. But the majority of times those looking for a week long break were looking for a different type of experience and the bigger resorts would be what I would recommend (less travelling and lugging stuff around for starters).

Yes, exactly.

We have half a dozen local resorts which offer a similar experience to the Scottish areas within half an hour of the house. We've just got back from skiing one this morning. Ok Scotland doesn't have trees which is an additional challenge for the Scots.

These little resorts make little concession to the modern skier: frequently unpisted runs, steep slopes with non of the obstacles removed, variable snow, ancient drag lifts, everything that gives skiing character and makes it a challenge and interesting.

But you know that if you suggested holiday skiers went there they would come back complaining of everything you and I find charming.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I find Scotland ski areas charming too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just saw this link at winterhighland to a retro compilation of clips from Nevis Range. Not sure if it was a promo or not but aside from a leaner than today looking front of the hill, the Goose was loaded, there was some mogul skiing, a slalom course, Coire Dubh (pre-Braveheart) was looking nice and there were a few game skiers and boarders enjoying Chancer.

http://youtube.com/v/BQIeqy9iJrw&feature=youtu.be
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
protosaurus, fabulous photos! snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kat.ryb wrote:
I really want to go for Easter! Even if the snow isn't good could still be a nice weekend in Scotland. Unfortunately having trouble selling the idea of committing to drive up from London to boyfriend.

If you are coming up from London, while having a car will give extra flexibility - why not consider taking the ScotRail Caledonian Sleeper and making it part of the trip. Direct services London -> Fort William and London -> Aviemore. Departs London Euston at 9.16pm (cabins available from 8.30pm) Mon-Fri, but earlier on Sunday and depends on date. Return service is back in London Euston at 7.47am (or you can get in at 6.47am but that involves a change in Edinburgh).

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansleeper/index.html

If there is two of you, the standard cabins are for 2 with bunk beds. Lounge Car onboard for Apres Ski on the way home. Also if you can sleep anywhere, a seated sleeper option.

ScotRail have a 1/3rd off sale on sleeper tickets bought during February - might be worth investigating on link above.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyway back to the original topic... Here are today's measurements, which were a bit of a challenge.... After several runs down Happy Valley I had convinced myself that yes the pole I was looking had not been missed in bad visibility, it had been buried! A gain of at least 118cm on the previous measurement to do that!

So next phase of the hunt involved getting down and poking about in the snow at the base of several yellow marker poles ski patrol had put out in Happy Valley to find the one I was looking for, from which the Happy Valley measurements are taken. The pole which itself is 270cm tall is embedded in a pile of stones that lift the tope of the pole 370cm above the ground of Happy Valley!

Anyway the stats were:

Happy Valley: 373cm
Main Basin: 630cm

Average that we quote as upper mountain base: 502cm 198"

Why are we measuring this? Curiosity as much as anything and to put into context the values frequently reported for snow depths at the Scottish Snowsport Areas that often appeared to have no basis in fact, no verifiable data source. I looked back through quite a lot of photos to identify some sites where it would be straight forward to accurately gauge snowdepths, as a result a couple of us leveled and calibrated two snow depth measuring sites at Glencoe in autumn 2012.

Why these two locations? They were picked to give 2 contrasting measurements, the deep natural snow field of the Main Basin and the much more exposed and open slopes of the upper half of Happy Valley to give an average value that was reflective of the mix of terrain on the upper mountain.

These were not measured in 2010, however going back through the photo archive of the 2010 season would suggest the season peak at our measuring point in the Main Basin was around 380cm.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not looking too shabby just now, and another shed load of snow is on the way this coming week Cool ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dPE9Om1Psu8
snow report
In related news, the program for the Coe Cup FWQ is out:

http://freerideworldtour.com/the-coe-cup_SCO.html

And they are reporting almost 2.5m of snow on the competition faces!

Anyone else doing it? I'm signed up.
snow conditions
Winterhighland, thanks good info - will check the train out. Liked the idea of being a bit more flexible (i.e. stil l happy to go and do some hiking if no snow, but not keen if 100,mph winds and rain) but sleeper could be really good fun.
snow report
Cool Cool Cool ah this thread cracks me up... its a re run of my chalet's chat every jan when in the alps's!!..
snow report
moffatross, love the vid. Some of my fave views of any skiing in Europe from up there.
latest report
The Ski Patrol Rescue Station at the base of the Main Basin T-bar:

^Patroller emerging from the Rescue Station!
snow report
Winterhighland, Laughing Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

Patroller emerging from the Rescue Station!

Very Happy
ski holidays
Nice article from the Nevis Range blog

http://blog.nevisrange.co.uk/2014/02/more-snow-than-ever-before/

“This is the best days skiing I have ever had in Scotland. I skied in places that we never planned to ski when building the resort as we never for a moment thought it would be possible. I skied ‘far’ far west, and the Nid Wall where there’s flat even snow. All the fences have vanished. I reckon its 60ft deep in the Goose Gully which has completely flattened the run out – it’s probably the best part of a mile wide. I’ve never seen it looking like it is today. I haven’t, I genuinely haven’t. If it keeps on like this, I will just keep on skiing, right through summer. It’s just magic.”

Marian Austin, MD, added “Our records show that it’s snowed in each 24 hour period since we opened for this winter season on 20 December 2013 – we’ve almost forgotten what it’s like not to have snow falling each day."
ski holidays
nevis1003 wrote:
i liked the top one with the queue above, that would be a good waste of 40 mins skiing time.
Scotttish piste skiing could be summarised as two minutes skiing down 4o mins in a queue…

Off piste of course, very good...

I bet that was nothing like 40 mins.
latest report
A wee comparison between mid Feb 2010 and today in terms of the (in)famous Coire Cas Gunbarrel on CairnGorm Mountain:

^Looking up the Cas Gunbarrel on 17th Feb 2010.

^Piste Bashers working during the afternoon to remove snow from the Gunbarrel to allow adequate clearance under the tower sheave assemblies going up the T-bar.

Full Report and Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=964
ski holidays
Does Scotland also have the biggest cornices in Europe right now ?

ski holidays
moffatross, fantastic pic
ski holidays
moffatross, should've sent it wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dode, not my pic, it was shamelessly robbed from BackCorries FB page. I've had a day convalescing from the manflu but just been getting green gills instead.

clarky999, I keep one of these in my backpack http://www.backcountrybomb.com/ but I think I would have pooped myself with that one. Skullie
snow conditions
You can almost see kelpies faces in it, a la Guinness White horses ad
latest report
Does Scotland have the deepest snow in Europe right now ?

Not too many otehr resorts outsisde the west coast reporting 60 feet.....or 18m Cool
latest report
It doesn't get much better than this. http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?21,2014-02-16

Just look at the Glenshee carpark, Scotland's largest ski resort.
snow report
For anyone that knows the road up to Glenshee, this pic was taken from the queue up there on Sunday, with about another mile or so of cars behind as well

ski holidays

^Winchcat winching the Main Basin T-bar uptrack in Ski Tow Gully at Glencoe earlier in the night! snowHead
snow conditions
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-26339994
snow conditions
Still snowing. According to BBC, only 1 day without snow since Christmas.
ski holidays
"Only a couple of good days a season"... dangly bits. This may be a wild winter but this will be my 9th weekend this season skiing in Scotland with only two days that I wished I'd stayed in bed. Maybe not bluebird but definitely good fun. If you only go skiing when its perfect weather then I ask you are you a snow sports enthusiast or a tourist?
ski holidays
Does Scotland have the deepest snow in Europe right now?

By far Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Just back from a four day trip up to Glen Coe; there is a fantastic amount of snow. There was also a fair bit of sleet which made for some funky snow in places.

By Friday the temps dropped enough to give us a "proper" powder day though. I nearly lost a ski on the cliffy chair at one point, as the snow below was so high you "bottomed out" half way up.

However, as it seems to snow every day and is blowing a bit only the bottom half of the hill gets to open as the main basin drags are snowed in.

The forecast for this weekend looks good too.
snow conditions
There's too much snow - seems the top lifts are endlessly being dug out. I was at Glencoe on Thursday and like Mosha Marc, says only the bottom half was open which unfortunately only opens up a small area. I opted for Nevis Range on Friday. There was more terrain open there and managed some great runs down The Goose.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy