Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does Scotland have the deepest snow in Europe right now ?

Poster: A snowHead
There's too much snow - seems the top lifts are endlessly being dug out. I was at Glencoe on Thursday and like Mosha Marc, says only the bottom half was open which unfortunately only opens up a small area. I opted for Nevis Range on Friday. There was more terrain open there and managed some great runs down The Goose.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nickr, too much wind, not too much snow - every time they dig the lifts out the wind comes and fills it back in.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So, with the Main basin T bar at the Coe...

Is the problem not caused by the fact that they're only really doing a perfunctory job or digging it out?
There's a huge trench down the north face of the hill. At the edge of the trench are piles of solid snow where it's been dug out. These solid lumps of snow aren't going to get worn down by the wind, they're there till summer. They help turn the lift line into a great big snow trap. Whatever way the wind blows (and boy has it blown this year) a huge proportion of the windblown snow is going to get blown into that huge bloody trench they've dug in the mountain. Once it's in there it aint coming out. And each time they dig it deeper it just makes it a more efficient snow trap.

Surely what they need to do is stick the pistbasher blade on at an angle and go up and down the lift track pushing the snow either west or eastwards far out of the way. Push it somewhere that it doesn't matter when the wind dumps more snow behind the pile.

Or run the pistebashers along the contours and shove the snow either onto the main basin or over to the Spring Run side.

What they're doing now is just pointless. King Canute would have sympathised.

Or they could just keep doing what they're doing now and hope the wind drops. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
^ Uhmmm... do you not think they might have tried that ?
Easier said than done in the small weather windows - especially since the lower mountain lifts have also need regularly dug out before they can get to the top.

Here is an incredible photo of the West Wall chairlift at Cairngorm (not mine)
Pylons totally buried.

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
^ Uhmmm... do you not think they might have tried that ?

Urm, no, not really. The impression I got from when I was there, and supported by various photos is that the've dug a humungous trench, and not tried to move the snow far from the lift track. I get the impression they're doing much of the work with diggers and by hand.

Until they manage to get the area under the pylons flat then they've no chance of stopping it filling with snow again.

If only they invented a bulldozer type machine capable of moving huge amounts of snow round the mountain...

Lovely pictures of the West Wall Chairlift, but largely irrelevant since the damn thing hasn't been used in years if not decades.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
TheGeneralist, but how would they get the piste basher under the tow when there is too much snow? I think they need to dig it out by hand first then perhaps if it ever stops snowing and blowing for long enough they might get the piste basher there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TheGeneralist : you seem to have no concept how much snow actually needs to be moved and also what a big task that is.

1. The tow cant be simply dug out with a groomer (as you would seriously risk damaging the cable / plyons and also the groomer)
2. Digging the top out will take several days of good weather and they haven't had such a window of opportunity.
3. The tows on the lower mountain have also needed to be dug out on almost daily basis.
4. Main Basin t-bar sits in a natural gully that has now been filled flat with 10m+ of snow.
5. The snow needs to be moved down the mountain somewhere....

Check this picture - and look at the *huge* volume of snow that has been moved to just above the canyon

https://www.facebook.com/GlencoeMountain/photos/a.112454045449052.13670.111429118884878/798939946800455/?type=1&theater
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Are there any decent bump runs in Scotland currently??
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
but how would they get the piste basher under the tow when there is too much snow? I think they need to dig it out by hand first then perhaps if it ever stops snowing and blowing for long enough they might get the piste basher there.

Agreed, once they've got the piste basher under the pylongs, which they've managed loads of times, they then need to keep going and continue moving snow until there is no ditch left. I appreciate this is a huge job, but the alternative is not running the lift and losing custom as a consequence. And the lifties losing heart as they continue with their Sisyphian Task of digging out the ditch only to watch it fill back in again the very next evening.

Quote:
you seem to have no concept how much snow actually needs to be moved and also what a big task that is.

I do. It's a huge task. Monumental. But that's what piste bashers are capable of and designed for.

Quote:
1. The tow cant be simply dug out with a groomer (as you would seriously risk damaging the cable / plyons and also the groomer)

As noted above, they've had the tow dug out numerous times. The problem was that they then stopped with the job only 1/4 done.

Quote:
2. Digging the top out will take several days of good weather and they haven't had such a window of opportunity.

Are piste bashers like BR trains, that only work when the weather's lovely?

Quote:
3. The tows on the lower mountain have also needed to be dug out on almost daily basis.

Agreed. They have huge amounts of work to do and not enough man power.

Quote:
4. Main Basin t-bar sits in a natural gully that has now been filled flat with 10m+ of snow.

Indeed hence this discussion

Quote:
5. The snow needs to be moved down the mountain somewhere....

Or across.

Don't get me wrong, I really feel for GlenCoe. It;s a nightmare situation the're in. Spending huge amounts of money trying to get the place usable and then losing out as the weather closes in again. They do seem to have done a bit better then last week or so, which is promising.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
^ the lower section of main basin t-bar sits in a natural gully (selected for its natural snow holding capability!)
its not as easy to move vast volumes of snow sideways as you suggest.
your random ranting implying that they don't know what they are doing is a classic case of "taxi driver" syndrome Wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't know whether TheGeneralist is correct in his criticisms of how Glencoe are dealing with the huge amount of snow or not, but I do like his use of the phrase "Sisyphian Task"! Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TheGeneralist, the issue is they aren't getting the chance to lower the sides, but if both sides of the line get sufficiently cleared then they can use rotary cutter in the trench, but they need to get enough clearance under the towers first (a third of the T-bars have been taken off to require less clearance). Given the drifting over the past week while the effort might seem pointless, the towers and haul rope in Ski Tow Gully would have been out of sight without it!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
your random ranting implying that they don't know what they are doing is a classic case of "taxi driver" syndrome

It's not randon ranting. It's putting forward a point of view for discussion. Which is what the forum is for.

And I didn't say it was easy. Nobody saaiid it was eaeasy. But it still might be worth considering, as the current option aint working.

What's your proposed solution? Spend day after day digging out the trench and then watch it get filled in again the following day?
Have you not noticed how similar the profile of this trench is to the standard Scottish ski run with snow fences. Since all the blummin snow fences are now 3m under, the only sheltered part of the mountain is this trench, and that's where the snow's headed.

I suppose the problem will go away once it melts.. Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Are piste bashers like BR trains, that only work when the weather's lovely?

If the snow is drifting then with the piste bashers effectively working at (or below) ground level the drifting is frequently creating zero visibility - they have to be able to see to work in such close proximity to the towers and haul rope, one mistake and it's potentially game over for the season with the lift. Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is it a completely unfair assessment to summarise along these lines:

- Scotland longs for snow that is as good as any proper ski area;
- To celebrate the emergence of this proud, near independent, nation, the weather Gods sprinkle even better snow than proper ski areas are getting;
- Scotland is reminded of how like the rest of Britain it is by not being able to cope with this gift from the Gods?
snow conditions
Its always the same when we get lots of snow, out come the armchair experts to explain what to do rolling eyes

The depth of snow at Glencoe, Cairngorm and even Raise is such that the snow will continue to blow in to any void of whatever shape.

They dig it out to make it skiable that day. The only way to stop this natural process is for the temperature to rise......something that will eventually happen. snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 3-03-14 14:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Re. snow depths: Pics below from last Thursday (27 Feb) of loading area of Ptarmigan Tow, entrance to Ptarmigan Restaurant and funicular track Very Happy :

snow report
emwmarine, They have record levels of snow, you know like they do in Italy where loads of resorts didn't open their lifts until they had dealt with the high snow falls recently. Scotland also has gale force winds >100mph, this has affected uplift as well, you know the same as it does in every resort in the world.

kitenski, no idea as I've not been in the UK since Christmas but in 09/10 where there was also huge amounts of snow the White Lady was left to develop bumps.
snow report
White Lady was not bumpy on the one run I got on it yesterday before they closed the tow again, it was in cracking condition though. The wind was such that even though the tow had just been opened, the uplift track was already filling up with snow and was full of 1-2ft ridges of snow drift - snowboarders dropping like flies Very Happy

There were plenty of people walking up from the Coire Cas T bar.
latest report
I skinned right across the roof of the Glencoe ski patrol hut yesterday and but for the marker pole, wouldn't have even realised it was there. It's now buried beneath a level snowfield that's just a continuum of the main basin. Staff access to the front door is down a 6 foot drop through a snowhole.

Patrol hut yesterday versus early winter ...

latest report
Lets hope it lasts till Easter snowHead
snow report
robapplegate wrote:

If it doesn't large parts of the Highlands are f**ked to put not to fine a point on it. Much has been made of the record breaking winter precipitation totals for the UK, but in Highland Scotland almost the whole winter's precipitation above 1800ft is still there. If it's brought down quickly by sustained warm zonality with heavy rain, storm force SW winds and double digit Munro level temperatures the consequences would be grim. Shocked

Anyway, here is an visual indication of the amount of snow removed from Ski Tow Gully and this mound stretches from the SSC Hut to the Wall T-bar, apart from a small col to access the Canyon. View from the SSC Hut webcam last March and Monday:

snow report
kitenski wrote:
Are there any decent bump runs in Scotland currently??

I didn't see any at all last week - it's just too windy.
snow report
Don't know the answer to the original question but there's some pretty deep snow in Italy at the moment, 670cm
http://www.bergfex.com/italien/schneewerte/?sort=Berg,DESC
latest report
I hope it's all ok, my sone is at Abernethy ski centre this week, no idea if they are skiing at The Lecht or Caingorm though. I susspect Caingorm by the lack of snow at Lecht.
snow conditions
Winterhighland wrote:
robapplegate wrote:

If it doesn't large parts of the Highlands are f**ked to put not to fine a point on it. Much has been made of the record breaking winter precipitation totals for the UK, but in Highland Scotland almost the whole winter's precipitation above 1800ft is still there. If it's brought down quickly by sustained warm zonality with heavy rain, storm force SW winds and double digit Munro level temperatures the consequences would be grim. Shocked

Indeed. The Findhorn has the highest recorded discharge of any river in the UK (and it's nowhere near the site of the Thames/Severn/Tay normally!!) after a huge snowmelt/rain/flood event years back. Massive destruction. Anecdotally, it was lapping over Dulcie Bridge at the time, which is normally about 40 foot above river level!! Even now there are some truly impressive high tide marks from that - forget drift wood, I'm talking about massive boulders left well up the banks!!
ski holidays
I know Dulsie Bridge very well. Must have been amazing to see the water up to bridge level. At Randolph`s Leap, down the river a bit, there`s a marker stone just below the road that shows where the water came up to in a flood back in the 1800`s.
snow report
According to the BBC last night there is a significant risk of snowmelt in the next couple of days. I had planned a trip the Glenshee on Saturday but the forecast is for strong winds and, depending on which forecast you look at, either heavy rain or sleet/snow. Either way it isn't a forecast of a good experience, so I may wait and see what happens next week with the forecast high pressure coming in. Hopefully that won't mean that the snow gets very wet this weekend and then freezes to an ice pack.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moffatross, the snow patrol hut photo is crazy!
snow report
Deedee, yeah that's the one I was thinking about. The gorge below Randolphs must have NUTS!!
snow conditions
Glencoe reported an average of 602cms across its upper slopes on 10th march. There have been losses and gains since then but probably that is still accurate although parts of the spring run are exceeding 10 m. The Only other resort with a greater average depth on its upper runs is a small resort in northern Italy. Impressive. Laughing
ski holidays
So much snow in spring run at the moment.

Couldn't get close to the flypaper but reports were that a big chunk of it had slid over the past couple of days.
snow conditions
^ It avalanched yesterday and took out a (lucky) snowboarder ...

http://saisglencoe.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/bright-windy-day-in-glencoe.html
latest report
I was at Cairngorm yesterday. Was so windy I saw a boarder get blown over the fence at the flat bit of the traverse. Great snow, weather just a bit mental
snow conditions
Heard from friends that it was much better today Deedee, although it wasn't promising to start with.
snow conditions
http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/scottish-skiing-better-than-alps-pyrenees-1-3426905

Just shows that occasionally these islands can accumulate large snow depths, twice as much as the big name alpine resorts sometimes. The only problem then is the weather.
Still some deep patches at Glencoe
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

And a few small patches in the Lake District which should make it into June this year.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/21293508@N08/14235853233/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy