Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does Scotland have the deepest snow in Europe right now ?

Poster: A snowHead
The BBC seem to think that Scotland currently has more snow than the either of the last 2 Olympic venues ? (Whistler or Sochi).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-25964307

The SCGB estimate 330cm on the upper runs at Glencoe - which would make it the deepest snow pack in Europe right now.
Though to be honest no one really knows where SCGB get those figures from as the scottish ski centres certainly don't provide them Wink

For reference : Here is the flypaper at Glencoe at high and low tide.

photo #1 Jan 2014.
photo #2 Jan 2006.
both looking up Flypaper at Glencoe - approx 750m altitude

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 5-02-14 23:14; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only if Arabba is in Scotland! Wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wow, the a Flypaper is looking amazingly banked out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Only if Arabba is in Scotland!

^ the cliff in the centre of that picture is about 20m high in summer.
certainly the southern alps have been getting pounded this winter and are a contender.
though I think Scotland might have at least as much depth Wink

fwiw : the photo above was taken at 750 metres altitude.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haggis_Trap, can I use that photo on my blog and whatnot? It's an excellent demonstration of how good things are up there right now.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
^ aye - please do!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Heres an idea, hold the olympics here, so how many more slopestyle flouncers would drop out if they had to do it in 90mph winds...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's awesome ( starts looking at flights to Glasgow/FW sleeper)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not even close, Dolomites way past that judging by the photos doing the rounds
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Juddernaut wrote:
Not even close, Dolomites way past that judging by the photos doing the rounds

Here is some photos that have been doing the rounds of Scotland from the SAIS avalanche forecast.

This is Caenlochan poma at Glenshee after it had been dug it out at the weekend

Here is the same pylon after it had been buried for the second time this week!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is that the same place in both photos in the first set of photos?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 5-02-14 23:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
so what's the top layer like? Powder?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Might be deeper than Dollies based on those photos
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waynos wrote:
so what's the top layer like? Powder?

hahahaha . bless.
we call is "packed powder". packed by the 80 mph wind that delivered it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob wrote:
That's awesome ( starts looking at flights to Glasgow/FW sleeper)

x2
snow conditions
Arraba reported 3m on its upper slopes today.
http://www.bergfex.com/arabba/schneebericht/

Glencoe were reporting an average of 421cm across its upper slopes and 589cm in the main basin......6 days ago. And it hasn't stopped snowing since then.
http://www.winterhighland.info/snowreports/index.php?resort=gc Shocked
ski holidays
Nah - its a load of propaganda nonsense on the part of the BBC/GOVEREMENT. Niederau has far superior conditions. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
snowbandit wrote:
Nah - its a load of propaganda nonsense on the part of the BBC/GOVEREMENT. Niederau has far superior conditions. Toofy Grin

The BBC now? I'm not sure that we get that here. Nor this GOVEREMENT you talk of.
ski holidays
andyrew, - that English secondary school education has a lot to answer for - I always thought that Glencoe was part of the British empire ..... only joking Madeye-Smiley
latest report
i think it'll cost as much to go scotland and back from leeds as it does to fly to zurich and back.... or serre chevalier and that includes accomodation for a week. if anyone finds any cheap flights to prove me wrong ill be one happy chappie Smile.......
snow conditions
troymgc wrote:
i think it'll cost as much to go scotland and back from leeds as it does to fly to zurich and back.... or serre chevalier and that includes accomodation for a week. if anyone finds any cheap flights to prove me wrong ill be one happy chappie Smile.......

troymgc, go on and enjoy your week or two in the Alps, most of us that ski Scotland do that too. Scotland's skiing isn't trying to compete with it. Meanwhile, there'll be folk driving up to the Highlands from the North of England and Scotland to go skiing right through to May or even June, for weekends and day trips without needing to organise flights, hire cars, negotiate with French or Austrian hoteliers or even take time off work. And it's a good bet that some of us will spend more time on snow this season than even some Alpine seasonaires will. Cool
snow report
Quality and accessibility are what counts. A vast quantity of snow is no guarantee of good skiing conditions especially if it buries lifts, threatens huge avalanches, is accompanied by storm force winds, hides at the far end of closed roads or is shrouded in thick mist.

You only ski on the top bit. wink
ski holidays
It will, of course, all have blown onto the A9 by Sunday Twisted Evil
latest report
troymgc wrote:

Fill a car with 3 or 4 people and driving to Scotland will always be cheaper than alps.
Though alpine comparisons miss the point : the vast majority of Scottish skiers are local weekenders from northern UK.

pam w wrote:
Quality and accessibility are what counts. A vast quantity of snow is no guarantee of good skiing conditions especially if it buries lifts, threatens huge avalanches, is accompanied by storm force winds, hides at the far end of closed roads or is shrouded in thick mist.

Glass half empty.
Of course Scottish skiing wont always be for everyone and you need to check the weather forecast before traveling.
Clearly the current snow bounty is great news for the 5-7 million people that are within easy weekend trip-able distance.
There is going to be some great Scottish skiing this spring

pam w wrote:

A vertical descent of 660m is quite respectable Wink
The snow is now half way up these pylons.

snow conditions
Slightly sad that here on a British ski forum we have to defend skiing in Britain.

Presumably most snowheads are Europhiles Laughing
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap,
Quote:

There is going to be some great Scottish skiing this spring

aye.

As you and MoffatRoss are "on the ground", my perception is that the last 4 (?5) seasons have really been rather good for Scotland. A Far cry from the early 90s?

Makes me want to live between Cockbridge and Tomintoul even less... Twisted Evil
latest report
I'm not comparing Scotland to the alps or anything as such. I'd love to go to Scotland. It's just the cost of it. I think it may have to be 3 or 4 of us In a car and split the fuel cost. Smile
snow conditions
I've spent many years living close to the mountains in Europe and Japan. During that time there have always been fantastic (often relatively small) local hills which I would hit over and again every week from the first snowfalls dodging the rocks through to the final spring bumps.

It was joyfull, full of a local camaraderie, often uncrowded, with plenty to explore and I was pretty proud of those local hills. The fact that I could just drive up to these easily at the end of the working week or even early morning for a cheeky half day made it even better (as was the fact I could often just head back to my own home at the end of the day), especially as I could react quickly to get the best conditions when they arrived. I've never skied Scotland, but I suspect if you live close it feels a bit like that and when it snows like it has done this year it must really lift the heart.

That said if friends were visiting for a week and asked where they should head to I would rarely (if ever) suggest the local hills. It wasn't that you couldn't build together a week long experience, you could. But the majority of times those looking for a week long break were looking for a different type of experience and the bigger resorts would be what I would recommend (less travelling and lugging stuff around for starters).

The experiences were different. Making the comparison was a bit pointless. Both were terrific in their own way. And given that they were so different being competitive about it was also a bit pointless.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 6-02-14 9:13; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S, I think Pam's just trying to add a little reality into the sudden, "oooh, let's go ski all the snow" talk.

Personally, I happen to be "home" in Glasgow this weekend and I've just tried to inventory what ski kit I might be able to cobble together and checked the forecast for Glenshee and Cairngorm.

So, Saturday, blizzards and Sunday, sunny spells with constant gale force winds. rolling eyes

Oh well, it was a lovely, nostalgic, romantic idea when I (briefly) thought of it.

(PS I told you it would all end up on the A9).
snow conditions
troymgc wrote:

And your point is?

I find some of the comments being made here rather bizarre. +1 to nozawaonsen
So, the weather here is a bit colder than in the mild south, there are some proper mountains here sufficient to sustain skiing, its very enjoyable to be able to drive an hour or so and enjoy it. If you don't want to come here and share it, don't. I'm sure that when the weather settles a bit i will, but I also go to Europe, so?

Oh, and in answer to the title of this thread? It seems so!
snow report
I think if I lived in the North of England or Scotland I would be jumping at the chance to ski there on a non windy day
snow conditions
It's all lies, nothing to see up here.

(Spent last night waxing his skis and wants all the snow to himself faction Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
FFS!
People saying they need to fill a car to share the fuel....are you driving up in a Hummer or something?
Leeds is probably a 5-6 hour drive, one tank in a "normal" car.
Many, many transfers from European airports are 2.5 to 3.5 hours. (Val D'espair, 3V etc), and before that you had to drive to airport, park, check in, hang around, fly blah blah blah.

There is world class skiing within a very doable drive.
Doubting it is world class? Look at some of the off piste films made there (I wish I could remember the name of the Scandi one from 2 or 3 years ago)

Loads of southern pooftahs drive to Snowdonia for a weekend of climbing, or go to Cornwall in the summer and those are also 5 or 6 hours drive.

Weather not reliable? Well that should be the exact thing that sells Scotland for a weekend trip....you didn't have to book a flight ages in advance.
Look at the forecast...if it is good for next the weekend then a few minutes on t'internet or the phone, book the pub/B&B/Hotel, phone your mate(s)
"It's on " and go up there.

I used to live near New York and had the same thing from my American colleagues "You need to go to Colorado for real skiing, it's always icy in New England"
Rubbish! I had many wonderful weekends at place that there a 5-6 hour drive, all arranged on the wednesday or thursday once we had seen the weather forecast.

If I lived in Leeds I'd be up to Scotland on a regular basis.
Fellow snowhead Gilo used to go most weekends from Bristol!
ski holidays
Sadly for me, It is as easy to head somewhere like Germany Italy, hire a car and a pair of skis . Ryanair and the gift of being able to pack small makes ski trips in Europe less expensive. We did Scotland once, but for several reasons it just didn't work out for us.
latest report
Jamied9 wrote:
It's all lies, nothing to see up here.

(Spent last night waxing his skis and wants all the snow to himself faction Toofy Grin )

Bulgaria, Bulgaria is the place to go, you should all go there, its wonderful.
snow report
there are different skiing experiences and skiing in scotland is just one of them. with glenshee a 90min drive away, i can pick and choose when i want to ski and this year well into spring (again).
ski holidays
rungsp, One tank in a normalish car is £60-£70, double that and you're at the price of a rtn to GVA (booked in advance). Taking a train at short notice costs much more. So it's hardly a cheap as chips option.

I think it is a crying shame that so few British skiers get to experience the wonderful skiing in our own country (pre devolution of course, we won't want to be giving those stinking jockos any of our precious £ post-devo wink ). On their day the backbowls at Nevis or the view from Glencoe etc compare with anywhere in the world. But I see why southerners in particular find it a hard buy. Perhaps BASI need to have a mandatory White Lady module etc.
snow report
Hm well if there is still skiing come spring, may have to see if a weekend is possible. I have no trips planned at all at mo and unlikely until Easter 15

I sense a possible boys weekend - particularly if I talk nicely to my friend who flies for BA Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Quote:

I think Pam's just trying to add a little reality into the sudden, "oooh, let's go ski all the snow" talk.

Indeed. I am in Arabba, which possibly has more snow than Scotland, and which costs a lot more to get to, and which had no lifts open and no road access for days and days. There is such a thing as "too much snow" and Arabba has had it for the last 6 days and Scotland often has it too.

And yes, you only ski on the top bit. Huge depths of snow just make it hard to get there, hard to dig the lifts out, and create the kind of avalanche risk which will close slopes for days and days and put any off piste completely out of bounds.

It's just willy waving, boasting about depth of snow. rolling eyes
snow report
and young bloods who reckon they can skin up got stopped by the carabinieri. Any cheek and they'd be arrested. wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy