Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

South East Snowdomes, where next?

Poster: A snowHead
Interesting sub-thread emerged on the Wycombe Fire thread. Someone asked if they might put a snowdome in its place. As they'd heard a rumour about a new snowdome in the South East

Anyone got any gen, rumours, info on other likely locations

I'd like to start one snowHead
How about Crawley? Aside from it being near my house, here's some other reasons

1. Catchement area would pull from South London, Kent Brighton-Southampton, Surrey, Hampshire
2. Good transport links. 10 mins from M25.
3. Lots of development.
4. North West London is in the orbit of Milton Keynes and this area is a pain to get from to MK.
5. Sitewise - it has Manor Royal, a massive 40 year old industrial estate being redeveloped.....

If you don't like Crawley there's a quarry and landfill just south of the M25 beside the M23. Its got some slope on it......... near to Mertsham.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Other rumours include Swindon and the old submarine ramps in Kent.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A planning application for the National Winter Sports Centre was turned down a year or so ago at a disused quarry site near Shoreham - 10 mins drive from me ... Crying or Very sad

I can't be long before a snowdome is built in the South East - all the demographics make sense. Fingers crossed.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am in Crawley myself, but wouldn't wish a trip here on anyone wink

Xscape are apparently always on the lookout for a location that is suitable in the Southeast, and my company has shops in their 3 current/future facilities, but we have heard nothing. Would be good for us as we already have 15 cycle shops in London central, so something 30mins or so from the capital would be great for our business. And great for me to get to! (Whilst also escaping Crawley)

ScottyDog
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SussexSnow, I think that quarry is the source of all talcum powder used in UK. They've already got white stuff. And it's north facing. A fine site - TVM for that. snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scottydog, Any chance on letting us in on what the future location(s) are?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They used to talk about resurrecting the old Beckton Alps ski skope as a snowdome - haven't heard anything about that for a while though Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SussexSnow, as a sub-thread of a sub-thread, High-Wycome train station burnt down last week too. I was only there for a week and the Snow cabin went, a scout hut and then the train station. It wasn't me!!! Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fairly well progressed plans for a slope, with accompanying holiday village a la Center Parks near Ipswich - does that count as South East?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Okanagan, that's snOasis which seems to be in planning permission limbo since the summer. Somehow I don't think SussexSnow would want to travel to Ipswich wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snOasis would get my whole-hearted support!! Just can't believe that it will ever happen.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Coincidentally, David Goldsmith has just started another thread about snOasis. They are hoping for opening 2008. But AFAIK planning permission has not yet been granted. IF it happens, I'd guess that will be the only one in the geographical S-E of GB. Doubt if anyone will also shell out for one sarf of the river Crying or Very sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I heard rumours that Hemel Ski Slope might go indoor - as the only way to compete. IMO, they would be a little close to Milton Keynes and therefore there 'catchment' area would not be as big as it might be... That said, it would be great if they did - Hemel is 10 minutes from me and therefore slightly more acceptable for an evening session than the 40 minute drive to MK ( up the M1 on a friday evening - I don't think so ! )
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
scottydog,
Quote:
I am in Crawley myself, but wouldn't wish a trip here on anyone

LOL! My husband is from Crawley, I sometimes wonder if he only married me to improve his postcode by moving to Guildford! Very Happy

Joking aside, I think Crawley would be an ideal place, it is well served by rail & road because of Gatwick.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
saxabar, common knowledge regarding Glasgow, opens Jan/Feb I believe?

Honda Kitty, would like to agree, but what they are doing to this town at the moment is destroying the very transport structure they are supposed to be improving. Anyone near Crawley will know all the hassle "Fastway" is causing us!

The logical area to me is going to be just off the M25, and in the vacinity of Thurrock or Lakeside. Seems a natural fit.

I would wonder how a dome down here would cope though. I am a Milton Keynes regular and former resident, and that place gets very busy in the winter, and conditions can be a real turn-off (Especially last 2 months). The amount of interest in a real snow slope near to the capital and sussex/surrey would be massive, and the parking/transport infrastructure would need to be pretty solid. Hence my thoughts on placing near to an area already handling high volumes of traffic.

If I ever win the lottery though I will stick one in Crawley. And destroy the Fastway system wink

ScottyDog
snow report
What about one for the South-West!?

My nearest slope is gloucester, "real snow" is a very horrible 2.5 hours (if you're lucky) car journey to MK Crying or Very sad
latest report
Scottydog writes "amount of interest in a real snow slope near to the capital and sussex/surrey would be massive". I think PY might just like that, he'd make some money on his Xscapes.......

Magicrichard, you not hit by the SW snows?

Cheers
ski holidays
as it happens just bust two fingers on a dendix surface---v painful and set back now in getting board fit for trip in jan. v common injury hyperextension of digits-- typing with one hand now.. advice is to wear mits not gloves and avoid reaching--fall onto side Sad
ski holidays
SussexSnow, Just over an inch near me - not enough for me to get excited about i'm afraid!

A few months ago i got so frustrated about the situation i started to look into how much it would cost to build and maintain a dry-slope (Assuming i could get planning permission) - then i realised the future was in snow-domes, and i definitely couldn't afford one of those.. Puzzled
ski holidays
Cheap indoor snow is possible, but not long slopes

Check out this Belgian ski shop's trainer slope http://www.skicasablanca.be/ and hit the the 'ski school' button. Looks like an industrial unit with some refrigeration. OK, it's a beginners slope. but what about a short steep one for technique honing?
ski holidays
We keep on having rumours about one in Swindon, but i'm still waiting! Sad
snow report
I spoke to a guy this weekend who used to/works at Wycombe slope. He seems to think it is a planning permission issue. Surely SnowDome wouldn't have bought the site without plans for expansion?
latest report
saxabar, have Tamworth Snowdome bought Wycombe?
snow conditions
Isn't Wycombe a bit steep for an indoor snow slope?
latest report
Tamworth bought Wycombe over two years ago and have always said there long term plan was for snow if planning allowed. We now know that unfortunately it is going to be at least 12-18 months before it re-opens. Apparently one idea is to keep main slope dendex and cover trainer and learner slopes.
ski holidays
Would love a snowdome at Bracknell, preferably dropped from a great height onto the current "facility". And if John Nike were there at the time, that would be a bonus.

Meanwhile, being equidistant between Brak-hole and Wycombe, here's hoping the guys at the Summit get some good news and a few breaks in the the near future. We need you back in business folks!!

(On the other hand, only 4 days to Les Arcs, and I hear its snowing proper stuff...)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy