Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

carrying 20month old while skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
CANV CANVINGTON, that was my thinking before which was why I was interested in this. But if it's fun for toddlers and they're in the resort anyway then why wait?

Kramer, yeah, it does come up a lot but I've never seen any definite info. The version I heard mentioned Les Arcs.

Ray Zorro, Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Okanagan, great photos!!!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer, don't know about the freezing to death one - sounds a little far fetched to me... i mean, surely you'd notice things had gone a bit "quiet" in the backpack dept. The amputated legs one happened maybe 10 years ago when France had a bout of exceptionally low temperatures (-30ish). Happened in the Portes de Soleil. All from memory this so can't say where you'd find reference to it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skinutter,
I will offer a little dissent and possibly be flamed but in certain circumstances I don't fully understand why not?

Someone crashing into you is always possible but I would think it far less likely to be a problem for someone skiing slowly down a pre planned quiet run with full control over their speed and direction than it would be if in a year or twos time you let him ski on his own in ski school where they will be less visible have less control and be on more crowded slopes.

Getting cold is definately a problem but if you are out of the high alpine area and only doing it for a short length of time and the weather is not particularly cold it is not very different from walking with the child in your back pack in the resort.

Iwouldn't like to take a toddler onto a chair lift particularly but their are plenty of babies go up gondolas to restaurants etc. Likewise their are plenty of toddlers using (baby) surface tows.

Your likelihood of falling only you can judge that but personally I have taken my kids in a back pack hill walking where a stumble is more likely than it would be on a green run.
I have taken my kids walking from 3 months.

I would not personally take a child skiing for a day or half day carrying them around, but if you are just showing them a run I don't see it as being as great a danger as some
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I must admit, it;s one of those rumours that's gone around. I think I heard it in France but coldn;t say for certain. ten minutes on Google reveals nothing and there's nothing either on Snopes.com either confirming or denying it - so I;ve dropped a mail to snopes as they do investigate that sort of thing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar, I think the risk/reward equation as balanced a little against it don't you though?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch, To be honest it would depend for me. If I could take the wean on a quiet run or two on a mild day and they enjoy that type of thing, which I think was what the original question was about I would certainly consider it.
Chuntering up andown runs on a cold day with the kid on my back for myown enjoyment would I agree be irresponsible.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
T Bar, a fair point, and I am not qualified truly to comment being a child free zone, but...

Anyway.

Maybe we're getting into "helmet" territory again. I couldn't find any trace on the web of any reports of children dying. You can see the headline, "Urban myth causes massive change in behaviour."

It just seems to me that it's probably not the sort of activity you really want to do.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Murdoch,
I certainly agree that whether or not the 'child dies on skiers back' is an urban myth hauling your kid around on you back for hours in freezing cold weather is a pretty irresponsible thing to do. There are various variations on the theme some of which I think appear less foolish than possibly first glances might suggest.

My own children are now beyond that age and I can worry about other things rolling eyes rolling eyes , I don't want to reevisit the 'H' debate either snowHead snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy