Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer in Bavaria

Poster: A snowHead
Hello Folks just back from a great men only week in Schladming.
Thinking of going to Bavaria for 10 days in early Sep.
We are looking for a family resort in the mountains that also suits young kids.
Was thinking of Ruhpolding or Garmish.
We have a good deal on flights from Dublin to Memmingan so would appreciate any tips or suggestions.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mittenwald is very nice
Midway between Garmish and Seefeld
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chick, Hi, if you are not in a hurry for info, I can help as I live in the Chiemgau. However I'm away on holiday skiing right now, so only on my iPad.
For a family holiday start looking more at the Chiemsee area as it gives you great walking and loads of poor weather options too.

I'll give you more suggestions when I'm home and on my PC.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Somewhere else that might appeal is the Sonthofen/Oberstdorf area. You have Lake Constance (Bodensee) a short drive away, loads of great walking with other small lakes dotted about. You can pop into Austria quick enough. Places like Neuschwanstein isn't too long to get to either.

I lived near Sonthofen (Gunzesried Sage) for a few years and it's stunning, simply stunning.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all the replies. Will have a look at all the areas suggested.The Kids are aged 3 and the baby will be 11 months so hoping to rent an apartment in a nice town for 10 days.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In Bavaria I would recommend the area around Marquartstein (where I used to live). A small village but near the Chiemsee, has a children oriented theme park, with transport you can also go to the salt mines at Bad Reichenhall or Berchtesgaden, within striking distance of Munich and Salzburg, right at the foot of the hills.

And Fieberbrunn in Tyrol isn't bad either, particularly if you want to concentrate on walking.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was going to suggest Marquartstein as well espri or even my own region of Samerberg, but you will need a car to get about if you base yourself here. Lots of farm based holiday accommodation (Urlaub auf den Bauernhof ) links you to working farms that also have guest rooms and holiday flats.
I would avoid places like Mittenwald as a base as when the weather clags in it is pretty depressing. Also avoid the obvious like Ruhpolding as it is very popular with German families and you will pay a premium there in the school holidays. On Chiemsee itself avoid Prien and look at Chieming instead - lovely west facing beaches with very shallow water that warms up quickly. Lots of cycle paths and the ferries can take the strain out of the transport around all the different locations and islands.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Or go to Austria and stay in Zell am See, brilliant place for a family holiday in summer.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GHOST DOG We went to Zell am See 2 years ago and loved it but want to go some where new.We are looking at Ellmau at moment as they have a big waterpark for kids only problem it is 2 and half hours drive from memmingen and the flights to Munich are double the price at the moment.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chick, Will you be hiring a car? I did not notice that you are flying into Memmingen at first. I would stick to the Allgäu then you have lots of variety and a shorter journey to and from the airport. Oberstdorf, Füssen anywhere in that neck of the woods will give you loads of good and bad weather options.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In the 1980`s we spent a couple of holidays based in Unterjoch in Bavaria, having most meals in the the Krone, where some of our party stayed. We visited the area again a few years ago in the summer months and it is just as beautiful in summer as in winter. We even managed to pop into the Krone. A lovely area to visit and the Krone has some good reviews on Trip Advisor
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chick, I would also head to Oberstdorf ( but I am biased ). There is also a water park in Sonthofen if that's what you are looking for...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
STEILHANG, Thanks we were looking at Oberstdorf and looks lovely.Is there a waterpark nearby as our 3 year old loves waterslides.
Idealy we are looking to stay in a nice town where we can access the mountains in the morning and maybe a waterpark for the kids in the afternoon.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chick, the one in Sonthofen is about 20 minutes drive away. Oberstdorf itself doesn't have one with decent adventure slides, but of course there are swimming pools (with sauna) in Oberstdorf
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What's the town (and lake) between Zell am See and Munich? Drove along it one Summer and thought looked really nice. Big inflatable trampoline in the middle of the lake?
snow conditions
Ghost Dog, Do you mean Chiemsee? The A8 runs along side it between Übersee and Bernau. There are lots of towns and villages around the lake, though Prien is probably the largest town. I sail on the lake during the summer, they won't allow sailing in the winter months, although wind and kite surfers do go out and have a whale of a time.
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, I wondered why there was never any sailing when we pass. why is it nit allowed in winter?
ski holidays
Risk of icebergs maybe? wink It does actually freeze over around the edges in cold winters, plus the survival times in the water are probably not too good. Many of the boats are rather expensive as well and the sailors fair weather ones anyway!
snow report
The Chiemsee is probably on the main route but there isn't any town on the south side and I can't remember a floating trampoline. I wondered whether you had taken another route and it might have been the Walchsee with the town/village of Walchsee.
ski holidays
espri, could well have been Walchsee as they have lots of toys in the water in summer! Coming down through from Lofer through Kössen to Kiefersfelden/Oberaudorf.
ski holidays
give Serfaus - Fiss a look
snow report
In Bavaria in Summer the beautiful Königssee is well worth a visit - the waters of the lake are pristine, helped by the fact that the only passenger ships allowed on the lake have been electric powered since 1909.
latest report
I have spent 10 days in Berchtesgaden last summer - which was lovely and would also recommend Fuessen. We stayed in Weissensee directly on a little lake with a free lido area (mountainwalking, sightseeing - Neuschwanstein etc -, and rowing on the lake were easily accessible). We also hired bikes when we were in Weissensee.

Another thing in the area children will enjoy are the "Sommerrodelbahns" going down the mountains (have a look on YT).
snow report
Thanks for all the tips.
It looks like we have settled on Oberstdorf.
We are just looking for accomodation at moment.
We plan to get the train from Memmingen and we might rent a car for a few days and check out the area.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy