Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why the snow drought in Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
I have been following the snow reports for Zermatt due to skiing in 25days Very Happy snowHead Very Happy but everywhere else seems to be getting buckets loads of snow and all zermatt gets is a light dusting - This isn't fair rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
acanno, don't worry just yet there's still time, I'm going to be in Wengen in 20 days and whilst I'm a bit nervous as there's not a lot of snow there yet I'm not worrying at the moment, a lot can change in 3 weeks and the long term forecast is optimistic about further snowfall
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
D G Orf,

where does the long term forecast come from?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am at 826m just above lausanne and we have 46cm of snow here since Friday

We went to Villars on Sunday and there was very little.

It is still snowing .....Smile

the clouds today seem higher - some of the clouds during the past few days were lower than the slopes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

where does the long term forecast come from?

Only require a long term forcast for the next 30days or so wink

:

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 29-11-05 11:57; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
obelix67, Welcome to SnowHeads. On the spot snow reporters are even more welcome than most. Please do keep us updated.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hobbiteater, its the weather forecast used by NASA, in general it's very accurate for about 1 week and not bad for 2 weeks but beyond that it's guessing, however bear in mind that even slight changes in wind direction can mean the difference between 50cm of snow and 5cm so you end up with a lower town nearby having more snow than the mountain peak
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am heading somewhere on Monday through Wednesday next week might actually leave at the weekend.

Then possibly up to Saas Fee from the 15th or might just nip to Verbier and see some mates up there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
obelix67,

Welcome to snowheads

Quote:

the clouds today seem higher - some of the clouds during the past few days were lower than the slopes

Teach me to book somewhere high (thinking it will be snow sure) if it's snowing below the slopes and not on them :shock
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf,

Do you have a link to the NASA website? for the weather
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah it is mental there is snow down to 335 meters but I think is starts around 1100 meters
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
acanno, All forecasts seem to agree that for the next 2 weeks nearly all of the Alps will see coldish temps with a good portion of rain. Ski reorts should see it as snow. Compared to last year it looks very promising. I remember looking at the webcams for the lower La Plagne Villages in Mid December and all was green.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
acanno, I'd be surprised if you don't enjoy good snow in Zermatt in 25 days' time, but the reason the resort installed (and is continuing to install) one of the most comprehensive snowmaking systems in the Alps is its historic snow record. It simply isn't a snow magnet in the way that resorts like St Anton, Flaine, and Andermatt (to name just three) are.

Zermatt is best skied in spring, when snow depths have accumulated for 3 months. That said, I had some brilliant skiing there in early December a few years back.

Wishing you good storms between now and when you go! ....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everybody for your replies, my mind has started to settle a little, although I haven't told the wife the wind chill last week on some days was -44 degrees Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guys from the office were up there a couple of weeks ago - seemed to have fun...
snow report
acanno, it's the NOAA website here http://www.arl.noaa.gov/ready/cmet.html?

You need to put in the latitude and longitude of the location you want to visit

Then choose Meteogram and say GFS 0-180 hr

Finally you choose the screen res and accept the default settings before filling in the box with the days password (given on the page) it's designed to stop direct linking

bear in mind that rainfall is roughly multiplied by 10 to get snowfall so for every 1mm of rain you get 1cm of snow
snow report
The way that it was told to me last year was that because of it's position, most clouds have discharged their precipitation by the time that they get to Zermatt, however this same position can mean that sometimes Zermatt is the only place to get snow if the freezing level is high elsewhere. Also because of it's height it tends to keep it's snow when other places are losing theirs. This is all hearsay and conjecture on my part, so take it with a large pinch of salt.
snow conditions
Kramer, I've been watching the webcams and forecasts closely as I'm off to Zermatt on Dec 8th. Looking reasonably promising at the moment as Snow-forecast is predcting 27cm or Friday, 5cm Sat and 11cm Sunday (mid-mountain). There seems to be reasonably coverage down to 2500m especially on the Italian side (i.e. some 1400m of vertical above that), with snow-machines adding susbtance further down. Good selection of cams at:
http://www.ski-zermatt.com/features/zermatt-live-cams.html
ski holidays
kamikaze, acanno, I was there at the weekend and have posted a snow report.

You'll be fine with the forecast the way it is and as DG said the snowmaking there is some of the most extensive in the alps.
latest report
Some good news snowHead snowHead snowHead
84cm is forecast for the next 6 days at the mid station roll on the 23rd Dec snowHead snowHead

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Zermatt.0to6mid.shtml

The sleepness nights have now started!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy