Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beware - airbag update in Zurich

Poster: A snowHead
Beware – Zurich security now require canisters to be fitted to airbags. I have just returned from Zurich to find a note my wife and my bags from Zurich security confiscating each of our Snowpulse 300bar carbon canisters. I had notified the airline, checked it in ok, it was packed in its box with the IATA rules in accordance with Mammut’s instructions “When transporting the airbag system, the cartridge must be kept separate to avoid any inadvertent [sic] triggering. Always store and carry the cartridge in its original packaging and with the protective cap screwed firmly in place”.

According to Zurich security, their rules are that it must be transported in the bag. They are aware that this is contrary to Mammut’s own rules and they are fully aware of what the item is. It could be recovered for a fee but only in Zurich.

Unfortunately, as the canisters are about the same price as a return flight to Zurich I am keeping Mammut in business. If you live in Switzerland you will soon be able to pick up carbon canisters, probably on eBay.

Beware everyone.

I will post this in a couple of forums.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
22 dropout wrote:
According to Zurich security, their rules are that it must be transported in the bag.
In the bag connected to the mechanism?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
22 dropout, thanks for the info. The same applies in Munich (I posted that in the "travelling with an airbag" thread).

rob@rar, for Munich it was sufficient to place all the components in the right place but leave the cylinder disconnected with the safety cap on. I assume this allows them to identify it as an airbag with cylinder and verify that you only have one cylinder per airbag (perhaps???). It's all "security theatre", it doesn't make us any safer, it doesn't make life easier for anyone, it's just some pretence that satisfies some arcane rules that airports seem to make up on their own.

I actually took my airbag (with cylinder) on as hand luggage in Munich. Caused a minor fuss at the scanner which was soon resolved by the supervisor who knew exactly what it was and waved me though. It may be safer to do this all the time from now on, although I very much doubt it would work in UK airports.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Seems like best way to transport airbag is say nothing to airline or anyone else. You will not have a problem 99% of time
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BYW As far as I know, same goes for illegal drugs (99% smuggling success rate [this is from TV knowledge, not personal experience]).

But at least you won't be banged up abroad over an airbag (or if you did, it would be a first)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What I find most odd is:

Zurich's own site refers you to the airline for definitive information and allows scuba tanks (de gassed) in hold luggage http://www.zurich-airport.com/~/media/FlughafenZH/Dokumente/Passagiere_und_Besucher/Abflug_und_Ankunft/Flyer-Sicherheitsinformationen-en-1213.pdf provided airline is happy.

I think time to kick up more of a stink with both the airport and with BA. I'd be inclined to send an invoice to BA, just to get attention. Why would an airport arrogate upon themselves something like this? Idiots.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name, trouble is that airbag cylinders are not depressurised (you can get ones that can be emptied, they're not the problem though, it's the 200bar cylinders they don't like).

Airlines are catching on and it seems to be fine with most, if not all, airlines. It's airport security that are the issue now and it seems that Zurich and Munich don't like seeing cylinders on their own (in hold luggage). They are either x-raying and/or searching bags and finding them. They want the whole system together and then you *should* be OK.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had a similar issue at Leeds Bratfud with a Mammut RAS system - although in this case the bloke had absolutely no idea what he was looking at and just insisted it was carried in the apparently "magic" rucsac that would make it safer (despite the airline having approved it and having the relevant IATA document in a plastic bag with the system.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sah, ah, I see what you re pressurised. I still find it odd that an airport would take it upon itself to make decisions like this on its clients's behalf.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
sah, ah, I see what you re pressurised. I still find it odd that an airport would take it upon itself to make decisions like this on its clients's behalf.

Quite. I understand why they might be concerned, that's fine. But, when they investigate and find out what it is (which in this case the clearly did) then it should be fine, they have no need to remove the cylinder from the checked in bag once they identify it.

If they are going to enforce these rules then they must make people aware of them, at least then people wouldn't be > £100 out of pocket when they do find out. I was very fortunate at Munich because I specifically asked when I checked in and was advised by the check in clerk that security don't like cylinders to be checked in without the rest of the airbag. Had I not asked (because of a thread on here) I would not have known.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Simplest solution seems to me to declare the item at checkin and say how it is packed - best get some witnesses too. Then it becomes the responsibility of checkin and if it is removed elsewhere then you have a claim against them.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mammut have been excellent and they will sort me out. This is what Mammut said and it appears that this is now official at Zurich:

"The airport of Zürich just told us a week ago that there is this rule.

We have not heard about this so far. They were not able to give us an official statement about this and no official document where is stated that you have to fly with your cartridge in the backpack.

This rule is not mentioned in the IATA rules either, that the airport Zürich would have to follow.

We are clarifying right now how the actual rules are."
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
22 dropout, great news. Hopefully Mammut will be able to get the cylinders from the airport.

I've not dealt with Mammut directly and my airbag was the first product of theirs that I've owned, but so far I'm impressed by their quality and their service.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
22 dropout, that's good service from Mammut. Hope they are able to clarify the situation.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Under the IATA regs as shown in the Table 2.3.A there is no allowance for spare cylinders or cylinders by themselves so picky staff will be within there rights to take any that are not in or with the pack.
snow report
I have asked Mammut to tell me what they conclude so that I can post it here and they should be able to get the canisters at Zurich. I am extremely impressed by them, after all, they could use this confusion to plug their canister rental system. Straight replacement for someone else's action - that the sign of a good company.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy