Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
For the last 3 Years I've gone to Chamonix for half term with family and friends. 4 adults, 2 girls ages 15 and 3 smaller ones (8,9 & 9). I quite like off piste, wives prefer gentle piste skiing. We're thinking of going to Austria next year, can anyone suggest somewhere suitable, I hear Austria is cheaper than France.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have found Austria cheaper than France for food etc particularly up the hill and passes. There are more Hotels/ Pensions than apartments so it may be harder to find cheap self catering. I know the SkiWelt/ Kitzbuhel area and that is very economical and family friendly, superb for piste cruising, lots of linked areas and great infrastructure. Off piste it is not Chamonix, there are skiroutes (controlled but not pisted) but much of the area is tree lined so options are limited especially in skiwelt. I think the far end of Kitzbuhel is higher and more open but I haven't made it that far as we usually start in Westendorf. The Zillertal might be worth a look. There are a range of areas along the valley on one pass going right up to a glacier.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Serfaus
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep Serfaus - Fiss
In fact I'm going back there next season.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yes cheaper, didnt see a beer over €4 (for a pint), a goulash soup (stew really) over €5, wurst & chips over €8 and all were table service.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski armade.. Or obertauern if you want to shred a bit more loot..wife's will like it up there
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
St Anton if you want off-piste, and your wife will like Rendl and Lech.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonesj, Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis is certainly an option for the crew you describe. So is Sölden.

HoneyBunny, Lech is a bus ride away and Rendl is too small to entertain the wives for a week. I don't think St. Anton is the best place to go with this mix of people.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bad Gastein is another option, esp if the family likes thermal baths and Spa's. Are you planing for this season or 14/15?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been sold on ski Amade. Never been but sounds good. Check it out. There is a thread on here about it. It gets a bit tetchy to begin with but it turns out good.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Innsbruck Olympia World ski area is good.

Stubai Glacier is snow-sure and gives a good mix of off-piste and pisted runs, as does Schlick 2000 (due to be lift-linked to Axamer Lizum) and Kühtai.

There's plenty of steep pisted skiing at Nordkette, haven't done off-piste there though.

Also, there are definite advantages to staying in Innsbruck and travelling via hire car or ski bus to the various resorts. Direct flights are available to Innsbruck from the UK, the city itself is clean & very attractive and there's a wide choice of food & entertainment at prices similar to, or even cheaper than, the UK. Last week we were even able to purchase 9/16" AF spanners locally to remove the borked front propshaft from my Land Rover & re-fit the new one we had shipped out. I wouldn't fancy my chances of managing that in a European mountain resort...!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the advice. Really appreciate it. We're planning for half term next year so we'll spend our evenings in 3 weeks time planning the next trip over a cold beer in Chamonix.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another vote for Obertauern, off there Friday, - skiing should suit all from your description.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonesj, the thread title should read as "where not to go in Austria?"

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Austria is fantastic, he atmosphere , the towns, etc are great, and the skiing is fantastic. Another thing you could do when traveling with that size of a group is hire an apartment. We do this sometimes and it works out far cheaper than hotels etc. You can hire them from homeaway.com. So when you have lots of time you can search all the different websites for where you want to stay. Booking.com will also have larger apartments or houses for rent.
latest report
Jonesj, Serfaus-Fiss as mentioned, highly recommended. Easy to access off-piste, some steep blacks, big lift-linked ski area, lots of cruising reds/blues, well organised and large ski kindergarten. Not quite as snow sure as St. Anton. I hour's drive from Innsbruck. Serfaus very popular with Dutch and Germans, no Brits. Serfaus itself is a rather elongated village but there is a single "underground" linking both ends, accommodation not as cheap as other Austrian resorts e.g. Ski Amade. Apres ski choices (bars) limited when compared to other Austrian places, e.g. Iscghl and St. Anton. Best Serfaus bar is "George", very lively. Overall, Serfaus is a gem yet to be discovered by Brits.
ski holidays
Just back from Ski Amade. Really well organised lifts and great food and drink and accommodation at reasonable prices.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy