Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dangerous new scam/mugging on the slopes

Poster: A snowHead
My daughter has just told me about a friends parents in Val D'Isere.

The mother was crashed into at some speed (which very sadly resulted in a broken collar bone). A friend of the guilty party then appeared on the scene claiming to be medically trained. While her husband was gathering her equipment and making a warning cross with her skis the duo who were supposedly making her comfortable were also helping themselves to her purse, creditcards and cash before skiing off.

It just goes to show what some lowlife will do.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good grief. Is this reported anywhere else? Were they caught?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any idea of their nationality?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know the relevant authorities were informed.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds like a poor plan to me. Sooner or latter they're going to be the ones hurt in the "accident".

I'll give it 24hrs before there's dozens of reports flying around the internet though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds like a Snopes job
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It beggers belief doesn't it
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob wrote:
Sounds like a Snopes job

I agree, definitely the making of an urban myth.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is it really bad that as soon as I saw the title I thought "France"?? Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Was the mother knocked unconscious that:
a) she wasn't aware they were rifling through her pockets/pack?
b) couldn't stop them from rifling through her pockets/pack?
c) couldn't alert her husband to the fact that she was being robbed?

Or, perhaps, she was skiing with a handbag slung over her shoulder?

Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Was the mother knocked unconscious that:

a) she wasn't aware they were rifling through her pockets/pack?

b) couldn't stop them from rifling through her pockets/pack?

c) couldn't alert her husband to the fact that she was being robbed?

With a broken clavicle I would have thought that any half decent pickpocket who someone thought was a doctor could distract someone enough to relieve them of their wallet. Must say it sounds a very high risk low probablilty outcome of a worthwhile return for the perpetrators if true. I'd have thought empty chalets a much easier target.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zero_G, oh come on. Plenty of opportunity for a skilled pick-pocket to pull out a wallet under cover of helping. People don't notice when it happens on the street without their being knocked over. I know when I broke my leg I was in enough pain I wouldn't have noticed something quite blatant.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
But ski jackets have zipped and/or velcroed pockets (at least the ones you would, rationally, put your valuables in), so that makes them far more difficult to to get into without being heard or seen.

I'm not questioning the veracity of the story itself, I'm trying to understand how they got away with it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've had my pockets lifted at Gare du Nord. They got my passport and wallet from an inside, velcro'd pocket. No violence whatsoever at all. Only realised a minute or so later when pulling out on a RER. Distract and dip. The "good" ones are bl00dy brilliant at it. Sounds as if they overdid the distraction bit and badly hurt the victim. It could be an urban myth, however the OP reporting the victim as being the daughter's friend's parents, an actual link to a identified person, it sounds very plausible. IMHO absolutely 100% possible.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

But ski jackets have zipped and/or velcroed pockets (at least the ones you would, rationally, put your valuables in), so that makes them far more difficult to to get into without being heard or seen.

Distraction works much better than most people realise otherwise most stage magicians would be without a job. If someone is pushing you saying does this hurt and someone else is making a noise you really will not notice the extra dive into a pocket.
snow report
Anyone in Val heard about this?
snow report
Also, as I understand it, a decent pick-pocket will have watched the target already - I'm guessing in this case at a restaurant / chocky stop - and know which pocket the wallet etc went into.
snow conditions
Zero_G,
Don't know it you have seen this but check out how difficult it is to accurately count the passes if distracted.

http://youtube.com/v/vJG698U2Mvo
latest report
snopes
snow conditions
Horrible if this is true, wouldn't it be easier to pickpocket jackets on the back of chairs in restaurants though. Jackets have so many pockets now, god know how they found things, I can't manage to find anything in my jacket.
ski holidays
Swissie wrote:
Horrible if this is true, wouldn't it be easier to pickpocket jackets on the back of chairs in restaurants though. Jackets have so many pockets now, god know how they found things, I can't manage to find anything in my jacket.

+1000
snow report
^ Or just lift £1000s of ski gear from outside Folle Douce?
latest report
Quote:

wouldn't it be easier to pickpocket jackets on the back of chairs in restaurants

and

Quote:

Or just lift £1000s of ski gear from outside Folle Douce

Much easier than crashing into someone to nick potentially only a few tens of euros.
ski holidays
Perhaps the thief saw how much was in the purse at the restaurant and decided to pursue the victim.
snow report
T Bar, interesting vid.
snow conditions
Zero_G,

Whilst I agree it does seem a bit of a hit and miss tactic, no pun intended, skilled thieves are certainly capable of doing it.

At a company sales conference in Montreux many moons ago we had a 'retired' thief (who was part of a group of magicians) as entertainment one night. As well as card tricks this guy also did his pick-pocketing routine. I had an envelope in my inside jacket pocket (in a dinner suit, and I'd put it there so I was sure) and not only did I not feel him lift it, I didn't even bl@@dy see him, and he was standing directly in front of me. Puzzled
ski holidays
We had this chap http://firebirdevents.co.uk/services/cabaret/keith-the-thief-charnley.php at a few client events, quite extraordinary. Even after I'd seen him a few times he could still tell you he was going to steal the tie from around your neck, do it, you wouldn't notice, and then he'd hand you back your wallet, wristwatch and house keys 10 minutes later.

He trains the Met on what to look for...
snow report
I saw the gorilla, as such i am un-muggable Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dulcamara wrote:
I saw the gorilla, as such i am un-muggable Cool

Me too, I lost count of the passes when he walked in.
snow conditions
No Bro, passes check, Gorilla check...... UNMUGGABLE! may even start skiing in France to prove it!

EDIT: ok that's a bit far sorry, Im not really gonna ski in France
snow conditions
I was going to suggest not to try france to prove anything. I find the tale a tad fishy too. I know that it has to be easier to pickpocket in the resturaunts when your dealing with finding seats, trays, clonking about in boots and trying to find something to eat, or sitting in the sun waiting for your beer, the relaxation after a fast run is so total you could steal my boots.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy