Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do Easyjet ever check inside ski bags?

Poster: A snowHead
Hoping to try and save a bit of money by sharing a ski bag with one of my buddies. The skis should fit and should be within the 20kg limit but was just wondering if they ever check inside (and if so, whether they'd actually care that there's more than 1 set of skis)? We took our bikes out to Chamonix in the summer and filled the bike bags with all sorts of stuff we weren't supposed to and we didn't have a problem so I assume it would be fine but just wanted to double check. Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No airline has ever checked with me. Similarly none have ever checked inside my (sealed) kayak (or had a problem that the paddle was duck taped to the outside), which is lucky as it usually contained tents and all sorts of random equipment.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ditto, never had ski/board bags checked, we have everything in there from jackets and pants, to the week's chocolate supply, to my hair straighteners! Gotta take advantage of the weight allowance!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never had my snowboard bags checked.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Travelled with easyjet last week (Gatwick-Verona). They weighed my ski bag and confirmed I had up to 12kg for it, but showed no interest in what was inside.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, Why was it 12kg and not 20kg? Or were you on old rules because you had booked before the change?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cad99uk, I paid extra for a ski bag (at least I think I did, it was booked by a tour operator as part of a package). I had 20kg for hold luggage plus 12kg for a ski bag. I put some clothing in to my ski bag so it was close to 12kg, maximising my weight allowance in my main hold luggage.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cad99uk wrote:
rob@rar, Why was it 12kg and not 20kg? Or were you on old rules because you had booked before the change?

Those are Easyjet rules, have been for a while. If you're taking luggage and a ski bag, its 20kgs for the luggage and an additional 12kg for the ski bag.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
20kgs for luggage and 20kgs for skis on our recent Easyjet flight to Geneva...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dashed wrote:
20kgs for skis
Was that booked as ski carriage or just an additional hold bag @ 20kg?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Those are Easyjet rules, have been for a while. If you're taking luggage and a ski bag, its 20kgs for the luggage and an additional 12kg for the ski bag.

Not according to their website:

1 bag, 1 small sports item
Total allowance 2 items @ 20kg each

http://www.easyjet.com/en/sports-equipment
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, OK, that would be a TO baggage policy. Thanks

Dav, There are new EJ baggage rules now. 20kg hold baggage and 20kg ski bag. But if only taking a ski bag then it is still 20kg and not 32kg as previously.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cad99uk wrote:

Dav, There are new EJ baggage rules now. 20kg hold baggage and 20kg ski bag. But if only taking a ski bag then it is still 20kg and not 32kg as previously.

Really? Ta for that, good to know. I always thought the extra 12kg was a bit of a rip off.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swiftoid wrote:
Quote:

Not according to their website:

1 bag, 1 small sports item
Total allowance 2 items @ 20kg each

http://www.easyjet.com/en/sports-equipment

Thanks. They should update their check-in staff at LGW who still think (as of a couple of weeks ago) that a ski bag is up to 12kg.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nope but it must be obvious to check in staff when me and two kids show up with 2 huge coffin roller snowboard bags bulging at the seams and nothing else but hand luggage that might hold a couple of books and a bag of sweets there is something other than skis, boards and poles in the big bags! All they are worried about is the total weight.
snow conditions
rob@rar, Would you have had a different limit because the TO had booked with EJ and had agreed a lower limit?
latest report
cad99uk wrote:
rob@rar, Would you have had a different limit because the TO had booked with EJ and had agreed a lower limit?
No, I don't think so. I'm guessing it was just a standard ticket (and I have vague memories of checking the ej website a few weeks ago to confirm the allowances). In any event, 40kg is more than I needed. 20+12 was plenty for what I wanted to carry that week.
snow report
Oh and if you need it another little trick is book your tickets separately, I put the kids on a different booking to me and put one sports item (will probably just book large sports items) on each so I don't caught by the total weight limits.
snow conditions
rob@rar, Strange then, seeing as Gatwick is EJ 'central'. Had no problems at Bristol and Salzburg before Christmas. Will see what happens in two weeks Very Happy
ski holidays
Ok, thanks for the replies. And just to confirm the weight limits:

snow report
Had two pairs of skis from NCL to GVA and no problem
latest report
el nombre, is that 60 quid each way for a 20 kg ski bag ?? if so yikes...
ski holidays
Return............
latest report
We always pack two pairs in one ski bag, never had an issue at all. It's a bag designed for two pairs so it's fairly obvious. Don't forget that you can book bags online up to the night before (? may even be closer to the departure time than that), and that the cost difference between adding a few kilos is not much different to an additional bag. So, we pack fully the night before and then book what we actually need, rather than packing according to the weight we've booked. Easyjet will definitely allow boot bags on board too, or you can check them as hold luggage for free (although I don't know if this applies if you haven't also booked hold luggage). And, finally, there's no weight limit for hand luggage on Easyjet.
snow report
davkt wrote:
Oh and if you need it another little trick is book your tickets separately, I put the kids on a different booking to me and put one sports item (will probably just book large sports items) on each so I don't caught by the total weight limits.

You can pool weight limits on EJ now...
ski holidays
Quote:

is that 60 quid each way for a 20 kg ski bag ?? if so yikes...

Quote:

Return............

Still yikes!
latest report
Dashed wrote:
davkt wrote:

You can pool weight limits on EJ now...

Thats an improvement then!
Guess too many folks had figured how to get round it to make it worth their while!
ski holidays
Yeah, travelled with EJ loads and they've never bothered with what's in my bag (my skis and poles and mum's snowshoe stuff) and they don't care, as long as it's under the weight limit.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been on a recent trip and speaking to other travellers who flew with Monarch they were opening and checking for more than one pair of skis in a bag... I'll be travelling with Crystal (Thompson airlines?) for the first time in a while and notice one of their upgrades is two pairs of skis. If they are going to check this is a total con, if I pay for 15 kg what is it to them so long as it's less than or equal to 15 kg? Another money making scheme.

First time I've flew with Jet 2 recently and found them for skiing they're pretty good. 22 kg for the hold, 20 kg for skis (boots can be part of this in separate bag) and 10 kg carry on. Not bad out the current low cost airlines.
snow report
Quote:

I'll be travelling with Crystal (Thompson airlines?) for the first time in a while and notice one of their upgrades is two pairs of skis. If they are going to check this is a total con, if I pay for 15 kg what is it to them so long as it's less than or equal to 15 kg? Another money making scheme.

We flew Thomson airways last month Edinburgh - Innsbruck and they never even weighed our ski bags at either airport never mind check what was in them.
snow report
swiftoid, Good to know, A couple o years ago I'd paid for one set and my wife brought a bag but we didn't pre pay. I was waiting to be asked to pay and never was.

I find the airport staff at the other end are far less fussed about weights etc. Good job as my case weighed over 24kg on Saturday, had allot of cheeses and meats in there..... Embarassed
ski holidays
Bene wrote:
First time I've flew with Jet 2 recently and found them for skiing they're pretty good. 22 kg for the hold, 20 kg for skis (boots can be part of this in separate bag) and 10 kg carry on. Not bad out the current low cost airlines.

Yes, but as discussed elsewhere on SH, my experience (on EDI to CMF) is that Jet2 usually don't actually bring the skis you've paid for.
snow report
Bene, we flew Monarch from LGW (to Innsbruck) a few weeks back and they didn't check in the bag or really care what weight they were (I think the limit on the Monarch website was 13kg, although Inghams claimed there was no limit so long as the bag only contained a single pair of skis).

I had two pairs in my double-ski bag (one pair carefully hidden under the other), and a couple of friends checked in their board bags and no other hold bags and clearly had them stuffed with clothes and other stuff (one weighed 24kg). Not a flicker of interest from the check-in staff. Although they did prevent people from boarding the plane if they were carrying helmets that weren't inside their hand luggage (hanging on the outside and being worn on the head were both clearly forbidden!).
snow conditions
ChrisWo wrote:
Although they did prevent people from boarding the plane if they were carrying helmets that weren't inside their hand luggage (hanging on the outside and being worn on the head were both clearly forbidden!).

Even more daft Jet 2 Leeds to Grenoble last Easter were taking the same approach with adults with helmets on the outside of their bags both at check in and the gate but didn't bat an eyelid as Toastertalby (doing her best cute blonde 9YO routine) waltzed through with helmet clipped on the outside of her backpack.
snow conditions
cad99uk wrote:

Okay I am abit behind with the times, but Easyjet had 32kg limit for a luggage in the hold before and now it's 20kg limit to a piece NehNeh . Tight people! Though I guess cheaper flights have to be cheaper for reason, or two.
snow report
Ski lass, Better though if taking a hold bag and a ski bag - which I will be soon Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy