Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring Bindings but which one’s

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Plus 2 for the F10's. Have had them for 3 years as has my wife. They are a little more fickle but better for short/occasional tours than fritschis (which I had before). Your weight is the biggest issue. if you are heavy you could break them. if not (<80 kg) then they are fantastic to ski. Mine have been everywhere - all over Europe, Japan, Canada, off to Alaska this year and no doubts whatsoever.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB, The main reason I went for the Guardian / Tracker is that I got a new pair half price. It meant that I didn't need to spend much, just the bindings and skins. They are very strong, and for heavier and aggressive skiers the DIN runs to 16. The boot sole issue is a pain, they are designed to be used with Alpine soles or the latest hybrid boots. With a full rockered sole you need to belt grind some rubber off or do what I did and glue a flat sole plate where the friction plate on the binding meets. I'd say that if you were doing multiday tours then they are too heavy, but for a binding you can use on piste all season and tour when you want they tick the box. Once I can afford it I will also get a pin binding set up on a lighter ski, but by then I should have thighs of steel lol. Total weight is 5.5kg for 98mm ski, binding and boot. Mohair mix skins save a little weight too over some I have seen. One advantage is that you can lock the bindings down without taking them off, can come in handy for terrain interuptions such as side stepping up stream banks.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Avalanche Poodle wrote:
Once I can afford it I will also get a pin binding set up on a lighter ski, but by then I should have thighs of steel lol. Total weight is 5.5kg for 98mm ski, binding and boot.

Ruddy hell my setup is more than 2 kg per foot less (87mm wide ski) Shocked

In around 10 years of touring there was one only really one tour where I would have greatly benefited from being able to fix & free the heel without taking the skis off. (you can normally take another line up or just boot up a short section) Sod's law deemed it was the first tour I did after replacing my fritschi freerides with with dynafits rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB, Yes, I can't see it being a real selling point Toofy Grin But I toured a half day on them last weekend with no probs or lagging behind. Still, they are used 90% as normal bindings, and doing small jumps and half pipe playing so suit my circumstances.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Avalanche Poodle,
It's all relative, if someone of a similar fitness has 2kg less per foot on their feet you are going to known about it esp on a long tour.

Weight on your feet = 5 times the weight on your back. i.e. 2kg x 2 feet x 5 = 20kg !!!
http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/hiking/one-pound-off-feet-five-pounds-off-back.htm

...... but if you can pick them up cheap, probably not bad for a sidecountry / short tour but true freeride binding.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hmm. mixed views on this thread as I have F10s on K2 Hardsides and am absolutely fine with them for most offpiste skiing including skinning, say, 2 x 1.5 hours per day. Weight is no issue for me on any of those ascents. This is the real issue isnt it: ''touring'' has so many variables in terms of length of vertical ascent required per day, fitness of skier, skiing standard (ie how tired are they from the down) that the bindings (and skis) required by an individual skier vary so much that it is difficult to specify. Who knows what the OP may need or want in terms of weight without knowing how much he likes to ascend etc etc?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Avalanche Poodle wrote:
DB, The main reason I went for the Guardian / Tracker is that I got a new pair half price (snip) The boot sole issue is a pain, they are designed to be used with Alpine soles or the latest hybrid boots. With a full rockered sole you need to belt grind some rubber off or do what I did and glue a flat sole plate where the friction plate on the binding meets.

Next season's Guardians will be ISO Touring sole certified, not just WTR. They'll have a proper sliding AFD, etc.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chrisJersey, even if you're not having a problem with the weight you might find you can go faster with a lighter setup and get in 3 x 1 hour rather than 2 x 1.5. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chrisJersey, Yup, and threads such as this one are pretty good at letting the OP see all the various solutions and compromises arrived at by people with differting requirements.

As an aside, the people I have the opportunity to tour with tend to either be extremely fit local athletic types who race each other on ultra light equipment and train constantly, or groups of lovely ladies who like more relaxed days with drink stops. I know which group I prefer to be a member of Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 11-02-14 14:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Serriadh, I wish they had put a sliding AFD on to start with, it would have made my Frankenboot unnecessary hehehe. There was some discussion on TGR of how easy it would be to retrofit one from another binding.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy