Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How is watching ski race as spectator?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm a lifetime skier but never watched any race in earnest either in person or on TV. Why would I watch it when I can do it, right?
But just this winter, I started watching the World Cup races on Universal Sports.
Oh my god. I think this is the most exciting sport to watch on TV!
With almost all the other sports, games can be decided well before the final minutes - last night's Superbowl XLVIII for example. Or, games can be neck-and-neck but dull - like a 0-0 baseball.

With ski races, nothing is for granted until the last skier goes through the finish line. And there is the speed - I like speed. And I also learned that there is so much history with each race course - Kitzbuhel for example. Really. What's not to like about watching ski races on TV?

But what about watching races in person at the race course? Is it just as fun and exciting? I can see myself becoming one of the spectators and soaking in the good vibe at a place like Kitzbuhel. (Yeah, I'll probably have to fly out to Europe. I don't think North American races offer that kind of vibe.) But as far as actually watching the racers race, is it fun to be there as a spectator? All you get to watch is just small part - about 3 seconds long? - of the entire race. If being at the race course as a spectator is much like tailgating outside a football stadium for the entire duration of the game, I'll stick with the TV.

Any experiences?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 3-02-14 20:14; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
New Daddy, Post from last week on this http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2460103
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I watched the Hahnencamm the year Klammer won by a big margin. I was near the top of the Mausefalle and looked up at the undersides of their skis as they literally "Whooshed" past, landing at about 80mph. It was so steep that several spectators by me fell all the way down the slope (I nearly did, but grabbed a post to save myself, which turned out to have barbed wire around it - stitches needed after).
That was extraordinary but the trouble was I couldn't make out on the distant loudspeakers who was skiing (I don't speak German but loudspeakers are incomprehensible anyway). I saw the skiers for a few seconds each and they all looked just the same. Perhaps if I had been at the bottom with the main crowd and (now but not then) a TV screen?
I watched a bit of a giant slalom more recently but I don't think I'll watch a whole race again. On TV, even if you only see about half of the descent you get a decent idea of how each person is going and intermediate times etc.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just back from the night race in Schladming.Unbelievable atmosphere with fifty five thousand spectators.
Have also been to the Hahnenkamm race in Kitzbuhel.
You dont really get to see a whole lot of the race but there are big screens at various parts of the courses.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been to a couple of world cup races in Les HOuches and a couple of cancelled ones (two separate years...) in Val D'Isere. They can be great atmosphere but weather can really ruin the day with bad visibility and wind. The one at Les Houches (Mens downhill) was good BUT as per above you really don't get to see too much unless you are well positioned. However what you do see does give you some idea of the skill and speed these guys move at.

Would love to see the Schladming or Kitz races, maybe slalom next time too. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Top tip for watching the night race at Schladming. Take something insulating to stand on, your feet get very cold standing in the cheap seats. They carve terraces out of the snow.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chick, and HutToHut, I went 3 years in a row to Schladming night race. Best sporting occasion I have ever been at. One year was at the side (red area) where you didn't see much. But the other years I was in the blue area at the bottom - great view of slope and screens. The bib night the evening before is a great party.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I went to the men's downhill at Les Houches a couple of years ago. We sat on to side of the hill just above the end of the race. We had no idea who was flying past us, and realised a running list of competitors would have helped a bit. We did start to walk down and watched Didier Cuche fly past and win. The atmosphere at the bottom was good, and there were big TV screens, but I think some of the bigger Austrian events, such as Kitzbuhl and the Schladmig night skiing look in a different league, also Adelboden and the Lauberhorn in Switzerland, where there is a bigger build up and huge crowds which really make the weekend a crazy ski obsessed party.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In my experience you go to any live sporting event for the atmosphere and as an experience; if you want to get the best view of the action its always better on telly. I guess the absolute best would be in a tv commentary box at the event, then you get the best of both worlds.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My little tip is to go the day before the event on the practice day, which is what a few of us did in Val d'Isere at La Daille for the ladies downhill in December.

They are going just as quickly and the great thing is there are just small groups of spectators of around ten people at a time, at various vantage points down the course. As much as I admire the racers skill and courage, I soon find it a bit repetitive. We started at one point and after watching a few racers go by, moved to the next vantage point, which was easy to find because of the small group of people standing there. We probably watched from about six different places. If you wanted to go back for the proper race the next day, then you would also know the best places to stand.

At the bottom the large screen display showing the racers timings was in use and the commentary was also being given over the PA system.

I think it was more enjoyable than watching the race itself would have been.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy