Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for early April trip?

Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from a great trip to the Monte Rosa, where we did some fun off-piste skiing in copious fresh snow. I have another ski holiday planned for the week from April 5 and would think to go back there, but I think it's probably too late in the season for Italy, so I'm looking for recommendations for places with good off-piste which have a good chance of decent snow in early April. I've never skied in April before in Europe, and the last couple of trips I've made in March have been rather warm, to say the least. Is early April really viable?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would think somewhere which did not get layer of sugar snow in December. The weak layer near the base seems well bridged in moat places now, but when snowpack thins that time of year it will certainly be an issue. But you need somewhere high and north facing so I don't know where that place will be
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.arcticheliskiing.com or similar. Failing that, wait to see where is best ie do a last minute. Easter school hols are late so last minute should be OK.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're looking for late season snow, inspiring off piste, long sunny days, sugary spring snow or late season powder, how about driving north ? Scotland's weather is driest and sunniest in April and May, the skiing will be extensive but the slopes will be quiet and the rocks have all been deeply buried by snow this season so won't be poking their noses out of the snow until mid-Summer.

This season's Spring skiing in Scotland is likely to be amongst the best ever and comparing my own sample of 10 Easter weeks in France, Austria and Italy (and one in Vermont), I know that Spring snow in Scotland is almost always better i.e. its snow consistency and stability is good all day rather than just 9 am-12 pm.

So if you've got the spirit for a road trip adventure and can tolerate a few rough edges, this is probably the year to go for it. Cool
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I skied Gressonney in May last year - so no problem there!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd make it a last minute decision - and bear in mind that last year's end of season conditions were exceptional.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cervinia and Zermatt are superb around that time of year (Cervinia for more reasonable prices). Loads of snow, often fresh, and lovely weather Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
J2R, I've had fresh snow every year bar one skiing late march/early April, been to la tania for years from 2006 and Stuben in more recent years
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Had powder for about 10 years out of the last 13 in Mayrhofen in Easter week.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have experienced excellent powder skiing in early to mid-april in:

Mayrhofen/Zillertal
Chamonix Valley
Zermatt
Banff/Lake Louise
St Anton
La Plagne
Les Arcs
St Foy
Tignes/Val D'Isere
Whistler
Flaine
Courchevel

It really is one of the best times of the year to go skiing. You usually experience some wonderful conditions. Check out historical depth records for snow bases. You need somewhere high, with north facing slopes - to guarantee good snow. I have experienced amazing off-piste powder conditions up to 19th April - that's when my holidays finish!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JimboS, so...anytime between mid March and late April? Twisted Evil I struggle to see how that helps...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
J2R, I'm confused Mont Rosa Gran Paradiso is an area where I know guides go to in April for ski touring as it's so high and conditions are always good.

In fact we're thinking of a few days over there back end of March along with some friends and a guide, if needs must rolling eyes

This is a link to a cracking image of the mountains in the Gran Paradiso (will not put it on here as it is so big)
http://images.summitpost.org/original/699593.jpg
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
JimboS, so...anytime between mid March and late April? Twisted Evil I struggle to see how that helps...

OK Easter school holidays for the last 13 years, either the first or second week of April, don't be a dick.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still a fantastic time for Cervinia - See you there from 2 to 10 April.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am surprised nobody has yet mentioned the Snowheads EOSB (end of season bash) in Val Thorens starting 19th April. Val Thorens is, I believe, the highest resort in the Alps and thus a standard place to go very late in the season. Groups within the holiday normally club together to do guided days.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 21-02-14 10:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
snowball, the OP did say early April though.
snow report
Hells Bells, the resort is still the one most commonly suggested as snow-sure late season, being the highest ski village in Europe at 2,300 metres. That is why the EOSB always goes there.
I skied in Scotland on 19th MAY last year (I think it was the last time the ski lifts were open) but you can't rely on adequate snow up there - you may get it or you may not. (Mind you, I gather this year is exceptional so far).
snow report
Quote:

If you're looking for late season snow, inspiring off piste, long sunny days, sugary spring snow or late season powder, how about driving north ? Scotland's weather is driest and sunniest in April and May, the skiing will be extensive but the slopes will be quiet and the rocks have all been deeply buried by snow this season so won't be poking their noses out of the snow until mid-Summer.

This season's Spring skiing in Scotland is likely to be amongst the best ever and comparing my own sample of 10 Easter weeks in France, Austria and Italy (and one in Vermont), I know that Spring snow in Scotland is almost always better i.e. its snow consistency and stability is good all day rather than just 9 am-12 pm.

So if you've got the spirit for a road trip adventure and can tolerate a few rough edges, this is probably the year to go for i

Hilarious, and I'm from the Highlands, is there another Scotland without ice, wind etc...
snow report
Well, whoopy-doo, you once had a PH postcode. But you live in the Alps. Enough said.
snow report
snowball, not disputing that at all, but the OPs dates don't fit in with the bash. However, I've been in both Serre Chevalier and VT that week and had better snow in the lower resort.
snow conditions
Quote:

you can't rely on adequate snow up there - you may get it or you may not.

you could say that of a huge range of the lower French and Austrian resorts, too - early April can be a terrific time to ski and you don't necessarily need to go somewhere high and expensive. But it makes sense to wait and see how the snow goes, especially as there is normally no shortage of accommodation in early April.
snow conditions
pam w, I had been going to ski Scotland in late March last year but the snow had melted and there was no skiing available. (It came back later). March in the Alps is fairly snow sure, I'd say. Skiable snow in January or February in Scotland is just as chancy. However I still think Scotland is worth it, you just have to play it by ear.
latest report
The snow in Gressoney was fantastic when we there and has got even better since, so I may even be tempted to go back there, if SkiQuinHat above managed good skiing in May. Cervinia is high up my list as well. Thanks everybody for the suggestions so far!
snow conditions
I'm off to Gressoney in 2 weeks time and am also going on trip with 2 sons on 5 April ....
Thinking High in France at moment - Val, Tignes, VT etc but don't plan on booking till back from Italy 22 March.
May go Swiss (Zermatt ideally) if I can get a deal.
Ski World have some half price deals to St Anton in April ..... very tempting but poor snow so far this season so might be a risk ...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy