Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this the worst season ever for Scottish Skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
No really, bear with me...

I've only been watching from the sidelines, but it does appear that this year is turning out to be a bit or a 'mare for Glen Coe in particular. In a normal poor year there is very little snow and so the resort/lifts stay closed for weeks on end and they make no money. They may be paying some staff retainers etc but I'm guessing not huge amounts.

This year they've had unbelievable amounts of amazing snow, but from what I can see have barely been open to get any paying punters. But the key difference is that they must have spent a fortune clearing snow and repairing/digging out lifts etc. Then as soon as they get it done in rolls the next huge storm to put things back at square one.

It seems that they've been open [quite] a few midweek days, but imagine they really need the big weekends to make it pay.

Again, being based in England, I haven't kept a close eye on things but Winterhighland always seems to be raving about the days in prospect rather than the days that just happened. The hoped for epic days don't seem to be appearing.

I'm sure various people will be on to say I'm talking nonsense and that they had a great day/couple of days etc. I'm not talking about individuals having fulfilling days skiing, I'm talking about the resort making money.

Are they?

PS. I love Glen Coe Skiing and winterhighland. I think ALan has done an amazing job over the last x years. Long may he continue to rave about the conditions and big up Scottish skiing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think with Glencoe, there is the potential for a long season due to the exceptional base, so they will be hoping to make money by being open for a long time while the weather is relatively more benign later in the year. But I think you're right; the amount of stormbound days must have hurt them to some extent - although, reports of massive snowdepths do a lot to attract skiiers for midweek sessions and generally raise awareness so that must be good.

Certainly I've been to both Glenshee and Cairngorm this season and both were busy, however I don't know if you can find out numbers of skiier days on an ongoing basis.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scottish skiing does not really take off properly until Feb most years, so no I don't agree this is a bad season. Looks like a good base is building up so actually might be one of the better seasons. I can remember years where Glenshee never managed complete coverage!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can confirm that skier numbers at Glencoe have been great so far Very Happy

Bummer about a few storm bound days at weekends - however that is not unusual in January.
Roll on the spring - always the best time of year up there!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On Thursday, there were 700+ at Glencoe where midweek days most Januaries see less than a 100, dwindling to no more than a few dozen, even at weekends by March into April. If people exploit it, there's huge potential for some great cracks this Spring at Glencoe in particular, with snow depths that will keep the runs complete until May, its campsite and the hobbits, its onsite cafe/bar and don't forget the Kingshouse just down the road with its permissive camping and real beers too. The Flypaper/Baileys etc are always a skoosh on mild sunny days in March and April and in springtime, the sun is high and comes around enough to illuminate the entire ski area.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy