Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving from uk with family, Where to go?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Im looking at driving to resort form the uk with the wife and kids, still undecided where to go, some suggestions are. Flaine, Morzine. I dont mind staying out of resort in self catering.

I am looking for the progression of the kids and wife, they have only been skiing twice. Nice Green and Blue runs would be great and the shortest drive.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Mick.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Resorts nearest to Geneva airport tend to be the shortest drive as a vague rule of thumb. La Clusaz and Grand St Bornand spring to my mind with your requirements.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Gets has lots of blues. So does Avoriaz. Both about 1hr 10 from Geneva. I like the look of Flaine and may try that one year. If you want lots of greens I think ADH may be a good choice from what I have read. However, I do not know how long the transfer is and I have not skied it myself.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike-H, ADH would be a bad choice. It's in the southern alps, hence further away from the UK!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When are you thinking about? Hopefully not half term...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Morillon or Les Carroz are amongst the closest and prettier than Flaine. However Flaine would also suit you from a skiing point of view. I'd also recommend Les Saisies.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ADH is actually really easy to drive to. Motorway for all but the last 30 miles or so. I've driven that way many times. According to Google Maps it only takes about 30 minutes longer than Morzine (where I haven't driven to).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Err peeps, he said he was driving from the UK, not from Geneva.

mickybboo, with your very basic requirements there are stacks of options. When are you going? Do you have any budget considerations? Will you be eating out or cooking in? Where have you skied before?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the comments,

The plan was not to go in the school holidays and around beginning of March, self catering with the odd meal out. At least 5 days of skiing.
If the trip goes well we wanted to do something the same over Christmas as well.

Thanks.

Mick.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samoens. Plenty of self-catering available, proper French small town - not just a ski resort. Lots of options for eating out. And a big gondola directly up into the ski area.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To pretty much echo what everyone else has written. Morzine is an easy drive, though I suppose Les Gets is even easier (since you go through one to get to the other). Also Flaine is very easy, but again Le Carroz is probably easier as you get to there first.

The only problem we had in Flaine is after you crest the Col (near the army base, can't think of the name) and go downhill for the last mile or so to the resort we had to stop and put the chains on. Uphill was fine (gravity against us) but going downhill was more of a problem. Mind you there was a load of snow (half-term 2013). Flaine isn't much of a town if that is important to you.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mickybboo, Start here >> http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=103752&highlight=
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I suggest Morzine - the home run back in Flaine is not great for green / blue skiers. It is really busy and gets very churned up, not enjoyable at all for less confident skiers. The satellite parts of grand massif (morillion / samoens) can also be quite scratchy at that time of year unless the snow has been very good. Morzine seems to do a better job of keeping it's pistes soft (it does seem to have a lot of snow cannons). Les Gets or Morzine would both be good for you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Guys for all of the comments, some good ideas in there.

All the best.

Mick.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

The plan was not to go in the school holidays and around beginning of March

French school holidays - not a good time to go to French resorts. The third week in March would be far better.

Le Grand Bornand is a great place but maybe not the best for lots of easy skiing.

I'd suggest Les Gets, and get lessons with one of the recommended ski schools there - maybe BASS, though there are other good ones too.

The skiing in Les Saisies would be ideal - and snow record better than Les Gets - but ski school group lessons will be in French, which wouldn't be so good.

Flaine would be good too, as long as you don't mind ugly.

You don't need to be "out of resort" - with kids it's much better to be staying right near the ski school meeting place, and the lifts. It would be better to drive an extra hour and get somewhere really convenient. There will be plenty of cheap self-catering space available from mid March onwards, if budget is a key consideration. You don't really need to book now - you can wait and see how the snow is, nearer the time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy