Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need help getting myself to Morzine from Stuben....with a twist...

Poster: A snowHead
Firstly a bit of background!!

I am in Stuben (close to the St Anton area) with my family early April, and have just signed up for a BASI course in Morzine starting on Sunday 13th April.

Originally the whole family were planning to drive home to Leeds on Sunday 13th.

So I need to help my wife get through some of Europe by me doing the first stint of driving, but then get myself somewhere to get a train back to Geneva/Morzine...and get a transfer from Geneva airport to Morzine.

From a quick check on maps and trains etc I am planning to drive with the family to Strasbourg then get dropped off there and get a train back to Geneva airport. This means I do a 4 hour driving stint, so my wife doesn't have to do the whole lot of driving back to Leeds on her own.

Train costs around 75 euro and takes about 4hr 30 mins

Anyone got a better plan??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski, drive a bit further and catch a flight to GVA?

If you didn't have to get togVA yourself, what route would you take normally?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name, we normally go up thru Germany, Holland, Belgium and avoid the French toll roads...

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski, There's an EasyJ 08h10 flight from Brussels the morning of the 13th? Brussels Air quite often comes up with cheap connecting flights out of GVA. Otherwise, Starsbourg is probably your best bet. Your route manages to go through parts of Gemany that just are not easy to link into Geneva from. (I know from experience over the last few years).

You might find that it's easier to jump on a train at (say) Karlsruhe than detouring (and having to drive through) Strasbourg. SBB.ch suggesting 4h40 or 4h50 from Karlsruhe via Basel.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:

You might find that it's easier to jump on a train at (say) Karlsruhe than detouring (and having to drive through) Strasbourg. SBB.ch suggesting 4h40 or 4h50 from Karlsruhe via Basel.

thanks, will look into that.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
any idea which Karlsruhe is the best one to aim for?

http://www.thetrainline-europe.com/ seems to list many options!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, Hbf is the main station here's an example run line of the ICE train from Karlsruhe (you know, depending on timing, you could pick it up at Mannheim as well)

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/traininfo.exe/en/273570/394668/309782/63701/95?seqnr=4&ident=4z.020300189.1391429518&date=13.04.14&station_evaId=8014228&station_type=dep&journeyStartIdx=9&journeyEndIdx=13&

The other Karlsruhe stations are local ones I think. I used to have all sorts of fun getting from there to a place called Hellbron.

From memory, and not paying too much attention observation, I think Karlsruhe is not the biggest city in the world and will be easier to navigate (and less of a detour) than Strasbourg. You are also on German and Swiss trains which are typically a little more up to date than TGVs (even though I do like TGVs) (e.g. you might be lucky and have free wifi).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Karlsruhe is a lovely city and very easy to get around - you could practically walk across it in under an hour. At a guess though I would have thought Frankfurt would be a better connected city than Karlsruhe. For train timetables http://bahn.de is pretty good at showing everything in europe, even if you use another site to book.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, I'd be tempted to fly EJ from either Brussels or Stansted to GVA.

Or could get a train from Lille/ Brussels to GVA?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="kieranm"]Karlsruhe is a lovely city and very easy to get around - you could practically walk across it in under an hour.

How come it took me more then an hour getting through it last summer coming home. Ive twice been caught there, once at 5/6 o`clock(never again) and Saturday at lunch time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Frankfurt would be a better connected city than Karlsruhe

I don't think it is (to get to Geneva) and it's more of a detour. Karlsruhe is on route. (Also, flights from Frankfurt or Munich or Stuttgart are eye wateringly expensive into GVA.)

The problem with going much further North is that you're cutting into the family's holiday aren't you (i.e. you need to leave earlier to drive further to travel further to get back)?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you are going by train, then I think the nearest station to Morzine is Cluses. I expect you'd might end up going through Geneva either way, but there's a remote chance that Cluses is easier to get to (and then avoids the Geneva airport transfer). You seem to be able to get trains direct to Cluses from Paris for example.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

How come it took me more then an hour getting through it last summer coming home. Ive twice been caught there, once at 5/6 o`clock(never again) and Saturday at lunch time.

I've never tried to go through it by car, but as a pedestrian it's great. This might explain why it's hard in a car!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kieranm, getting from Cluses to Morzine is troblesome (infrequent buses). Train to Cluses is most certainly not direct from Paris. Need to change at least at Bellegarde. Much easier to get to Geneva airport and grab a transfer.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
yes the problem is the further north I go, the further I have to get back and I want to get to Morzine early evening at the latest.

The train from Karlsruhe is looking a good option and at under 50 euros fairly economical

I've looked at Cluses and Thonon Les Bains stations, both involve more train changes and longer times overall....
snow conditions
kitenski, I'd go for Karlsruhe. I don't see/can't think of anywhere else en route that balances what you need to do as well as it does.

If you're starting off there and it's near enough to lunchtime, there's an acceptable asian/noodle bar in the station Little Angel
ski holidays
under a new name, fair enough - I've not done that journey so I'm not sure what is easiest for getting to Morzine. There are some direct trains from Paris to Cluses though, at least on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. There's even an overnight sleeper.
ski holidays
kieranm, I stand corrected, there are indeed. Dead slow and stop for a TGV after (I guess) Bourg en Bresse. And only until April 25. I wonder how many transfer companies will pick up in Cluses then?
snow conditions
ok, pushing some buttons....ending up on a German booking site

http://tinyurl.com/p5uz54l

Has me leaving Karlsruhe HBF at 11:10am, arrive Geneva Airport 15:51 with one change.

That change is at Basel SBB, I arrive 12:54 platform 5, next train departs Basel SBB at 13:30 from platform 14

anyone know if 9 mins if fine for the platform transfer? will have one wheelie bag and one pair of skis....

and secondly is that the best website to use for the booking???

and lastly the cheap price mentions combination and a BahnCard 25?? does that mean I need to buy this BahnCard??

Total price of the trip. Special conditions (e.g. use of specific train required, exchange/refund not possible or with extra charge). Combination only possible with BahnCard 25. You will receive the conditions of the offer in the next step
snow report
I would recommend www.loco2.com as it's simple. I note that the cheap fare you mention seems to require a Bahncard25 (which is itself €62). So normal fare is ~£101.

https://loco2.com/journey/karlsruhe-hbf-geneve-aeroport-khu131

9 minutes is quite enough time to transfer - there are escalators and lifts to + from the platforms and they're fairly tightly packed together. If you really want to, there are station maps here. http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/am-bahnhof/railway-stations/trafimage-maps-station-plans/station-plans.html

I seem to recall that (admittedly without luggage) I've sneaked a swift half in, in between those connections.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy