Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SKIING IN THE U.S.A

Poster: A snowHead
Subscribed this morning as a result of finding you guys (and gals) extremely helpful in the past. So here goes...

We (me my wife and 2 children 10 and 13 years) want to ski in the U.S. We normally go away for New Year and have been given some advice which I'd like to run by you...

I have been told NOT to ski in the U.S. at this time of year because of the severe temperatures (down to -40 C) and the high risk of frost bite... This is obviously a major concern with us taking the kids. We have been told to go at Easter as there is still plenty of snow, less skiers and most importantly, it's nowhere near as cold.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advice on resorts would also be a huge plus... We're looking at Breckenridge but if there are any other suggestions I'd like to hear about them.

Cheers

Rob
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi there!

Just a heads up that you've posted in the wrong forum but I think one of the admin may be able to move it...

I've only been to Killington, Vermont, but I absolutely love it there, been 3 times (4 weeks in total) with my family and another family. Great weather at Easter, whenever I've been there they've had great snow just before or when we arrive so conditions are prime all week, and even been able to ski in a hoodie at times. February half term was pretty chilly but not too bad when we went, just wrap up warm.
Killington is about a 3 hour drive from Boston. Great variety of runs and a good size ski area, I have no complaints about the quality of skiing there. Range from really long blues that go down the whole mountain (Great Eastern and Great Northern Trails), lots of decent reds, and a good selection of Blacks, with a hell of a lot of tree skiing too. It is also linked to Pico mountain up the road which is a much smaller area but is a fun visit for one day and is included in the Killington lift pass.
People are really friendly there, great lifts too. Ski School was excellent both for me and my brother (we were 13-17 when we had lessons there), and my parents loved the lessons too.

We stayed at the Killington Grand Resort Hotel, which is owned by Killington company. It's really close to the slopes and you can ski back over the bridge to the hotel at the end of the day.
Not really a village like you find in European resorts, but all the shops and restaurants are located on Killington Access Road, and some of the restaurants are just superb.

Just realised I wrote a mini-essay but I hope this helps, I'd highly recommend it. PM me if you want to know anything else!

Lewis
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers Lewis, my wife had mentioned a friend of hers had skied in Stowe (not a million miles from Killington I believe) and is an alternative to Colorado, I guess.

Rob

Moderators, if you can move this to where it should be, I'd appreciate it. Many thanks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PisteBasher1969,

I'm no N.A. expert, but while I'm sure that Breckenridge is typically colder than, say, Chamonix at NY, I wouldn't think it's a deal breaker. Add more layers, inner gloves, balaclavas and ski masks if required. (My suspicion is that the East coast feels colder).

Big advantages of the US that I see

- excellent kids' ski school (apparently - we don't have kids but my brother's kids loved it in Breckenridge and the parents appreciated the all day pick up in the AM/ski or play all day/return in the late PM service)

- potentially (not this year I hear) a different cadence of snow and "off piste" - Rocky mountain powder is different Happy and the controlled out of bounds idea can work well

What you don't get is any particular on mountain dining charm (well, not where I've skied) - in fact, not a great deal of "alpine" charm at all. But you do get typical US service. And well cared for mountains.

Must confess I would find it hard to get excited about the East coast especially early season...

Lots of other areas to look at but I suspect Breckenridge probably ticks the size/ family aspect best (e.g. I'd like to go back to Utah or Wyoming and would like to try Montana or New Mexico but have no kid-care/ski school needs)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah, East Coast is meant to feel colder (icy wind) and the snow is apparently better in the West, but I've been lucky and been blessed with some of the best snow I've ever skiied on when I've been.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lewisb22, I suspect you've just been reasonably lucky then. I must confess I have no idea why anyone would travel from Europe specifically to ski the East coast. Not these days when at least the larger EU stations are as well cannoned up as the eastern US hills.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Breckenridge snow is out of this world- just beware it is very high so if you are prone to altitude sickness you could be affected.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name, yeah I think we have. We didn't specifically choose to ski the East Coast, it was just the shorter flight that interested my parents. And as we enjoyed it so much we returned twice! I am aiming on getting out to Canada or the West Coast at some point though, but that will have to wait for a while considering i'm off to NZ in the summer.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hello I'm new here I'm going to travel in USA and I want to go skiing to Mohawk Mountain Ski Area Smile sorry for off-topic question but I need to rent a car there. when I was living in Georgia I was always use car rental company www.naniko.com I wonder if this service works in USA too has anyone heard? thank you
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PisteBasher1969, We usually find ourselves in Colorado either side of Christmas/New Year for price reasons. Normally it didn't feel colder than in the Alps as it is so dry. This season it was a deep freeze, so you take your chance with the weather, skiing anywhere. This year they even had plenty of snow in Italy ! It is nice to go the states, where the people, even the youngsters are friendly and polite. If you travel well & have the money, do it. I have never skied the East coast as I have been put off by tales of icy boiler plate.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A few years ago I decided not to go to Canada at New Year due to the potential cold temps, and went to Obergurgl, where it was -27 on a couple of days...

Having said that, I also went to Fernie in Canada last year at Christmas and for a couple of days hardly anyone was out skiing as it was so cold - -30 approx

In the end you are in a mountain environment where the weather can be pretty wild wherever you ski

As others have said, the on piste ambiance is a bit lacking in North America - Skiing is more of a sport than a pastime there, so cutesy mountain restaurants are not normally on the agenda

Saying that the skiing is fabulous, at least in the West, I've not been to the US (apart from Whitefish in Montana) as I find the Canadians much friendlier and mostly go to Fernie (which I love) Other places I have been are Lake Louise, which is gorgeous and would be good for a family. Kimberly is a nice low key place, but a bit artificial (its a "resort" so basically some hotels on a hill). I was not particularly taken with Banff, its a large tourist orientated town, but the skiing around there is always reported as being very good.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Years ago we went to Breck for Christmas, it was cold. Had to go into their 'warming huts' and your eyelids would freeze almost instantly if left exposed!

Snow wasn't fab. Certainly in Canada its still considered early season.

That said my kids ski in pretty cold temperatures sometimes and they survive!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PisteBasher1969, depending on the time of year, etc. skiing can be had all around the US, but the Rockies are as good as it gets for snow, sun, and terrain. You can choose between Colorado and Utah primarily, with Wyoming, Idaho, and New Mexico offering up a few unique options, as well. I am partial to Colorado (that's why I live here, after all!), but having skied many of the other states, too, I have to say that there are reasons to visit all of them. This season, Colorado has had excellent snow, and our season is likely to go very late into the year.

Let me know if I can offer any guidance...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Having family in the US we have done Colorado and Killington in between Christmas and New Years and although it's been cold, I've found France in January to be colder

And personally I've found ski school for little kids (pre-school) to be nicer in the USA than France, they seem to focus on kids having fun vs kids having to ge good, at least our girl has reported that

It's early season and it's cold, but I would recommend it
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whistler, you'll get every type of weather but it won't be as cold as the resorts further inland. It's in the best bit of America, called Canada.

The severe cold funnels down the interior between the Rockies and the Appalachians and it can be severe. I skied in -26 at Big Sky and 2 runs before a stop was the absolute max. Benefit of that consistent cold, stop press, snow stays in better condition for longer.

Or Heavenly. Especially if you want to see a few different ski areas.
snow report
Did anyone notice the original poster has not been back?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy