Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Using Currency Cards in Serre Chevalier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

We are off to Serre Chevalier next weekend and just sorting out our euros. Many of the travel bureaus are advising us to take a preloaded currency card but I'm nervous about how readily it will be accepted. Has anyone else used one recently and did you have any problems or issues. I know we can use it at ATM machines to withdraw cash from the balance but there is a charge for this so would want to be able to use it in bars and restaurants to pay for our bill but don't want to be embarassed if it's not going to be accepted.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We use a caxtonfx card in Europe. It's a MasterCard and we've never had it rejected anywhere. There is no charge for withdrawing euros or for swiping. There is an upfront cost of £5 or something like this but this can be written off against cashback available at topcashback or quidco. I wouldn't preload a card that charged every time I used, you might as well just use your current account / normal credit card in that case.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In fact having just had a nose, it's actually free to get a caxtonfx currency card you just have to pay if you want an additional cardholder, which we did.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have used a Travelex Cash Passport card in the area (and all over the world in different currencies) with no problems both in shops, restaurants etc and to withdraw cash. I understand your nervousness as I had a bad experience using a card from the Post Office - no shops, would accept it so I had to track down cash machines, a real pain in the bum.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As long as it says Mastercard or Visa on it then it should be accepted anywhere which accepts those cards. I don't bother myself, as I have a varied collection of zero-fee cards acquired over the years (mostly no longer available).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tuftmuppet, we both have Fairfx cards and they are MasterCard so can be used where MasterCard is accepted. I only use mine to take money out of the wall - OH loads his to pay restaurant bills and petrol and no problems with it being accepted. I only preload just a couple of hours before withdrawing the cash - stick it on in the chalet and take out in the village a bit later. There is a very small charge for withdrawal of cash so I usually take about 200 euros out at a time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We use caxtonfx visa cards - for business and pleasure - all over Serre Chevalier, never had it refused in a shop or restaurant. I even paid for a single coffee with it at Cafe Soleil once ...

Load from 150 euros at a time, easy online account access.

The only issues may be buying petrol at the pump (it will allocate a higher amount than you spent on petrol) and it's not always accepted on road tolls ...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy