Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Returning to Skiing - Using Salomon Evolution 6.0 boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have spent a while looking through the forum. I'm returning to skiing after an absence of about 10 years and have a pair of Salomon Evolution 6.0 boots that have only been used for 4 weeks skiing and are still in good condition. I'm assuming that boot technology has moved on a lot in the last 10 years, and was looking for opinions/advice on wether I should hire boots when I go skiing in a couple of weeks time, or will my Salomon's still be o.k., albeit 'older' technology?

Thanks,

Cliff
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ch4gas, if the boots still fit and are comfortable then use them. Boot tech has not moved on a lot in the last 10 years.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for your reply, which is what I was hoping to hear. The boots still fit fine, so they'll be going with me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My father in law is still using his rear entry boots from the eighties and they work fine for him.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
emwmarine, hmm. The only problem is that at some point in time the plastic degrades to the point where the boots become dangerous. I was in Sport Conrad the other day when an Australian lady came in with an old pair of rear entry Raichle boots. She wanted them fitted to her new skis. The technicians refused on the grounds that they might be made liable for what would inevitably happen. Showed her a pair of broken SX81s, and told her the result was a broken ankle in that case...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ive been skiing on some old Salomon boots for about 20 years now, think I will buy some new ones next year as Ive read so much on here about boots exploding but did manage to get 1 extra year out of them this year. I have noticed they've gone very stiff now, although they were very stiff to start with, it could just be the padding on the inside is now so worn that Im just feeling the plastic though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steilhang wrote:
emwmarine, hmm. The only problem is that at some point in time the plastic degrades to the point where the boots become dangerous. I was in Sport Conrad the other day when an Australian lady came in with an old pair of rear entry Raichle boots. She wanted them fitted to her new skis. The technicians refused on the grounds that they might be made liable for what would inevitably happen. Showed her a pair of broken SX81s, and told her the result was a broken ankle in that case...

I think the plastic degrades primarily due to exposure to UV. If kept in the dark for 50 weeks a year then I imagine they probably have another 20 odd years left in them. Given that Beau Pere is 78 I think he might be unlikely to be getting his full money's worth out of them.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Used for 4 weeks over 4 years and kept in boot bag in a bedroom cupboard ever since. I've used them to get a bit of practice at Hemel and they seemed fine. So I'm happy they'll be OK.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had a very old pair of raichle four clip boots (late 70s) which I bought second hand and hung on to all through the "rear entry years" (I hated those things!!). They did finally crack at about 25 plus years old but it was pretty obvious that they were about to go, the plastic lost its spring and discoloured so I chucked em before anything let go. My current boots are about the same vintage as yours and are still comfortable so I am not planning to change them any time soon.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ch4gas, my (Strolz) boots are also about 12 years old now. I reckon they are still good for a few more seasons.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy