Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zell am See 18/1-25/1/14

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just a wee report from my weeks holiday there.

stayed at the Seevilla Freiberg- fantastic hotel with proper 4 star food, modern rooms, excellent spa. overpriced and limited wine list for dinner with cheapest bottle being 25 euros which i saw in supermarket for 4.79. Bit of a hike to City Express but hotel has it's own shuttle service which we used every morning. downside is the latest it will pick you up is 4pm when i was still on the slopes and even then wanted a drink beofore returning to hotel so walked back in evening.

was worried about lack of snow before going out and it was strange in resort as there was no snow at all and on the 19/1/14 tempretures in the town were reported at 16 degrees which is ridiculous. Once up on the mountain though things were fine and the pistes were all in good shape in the morning. the high temps and sun caused them to be quite mogulled by afternoon and slushy by late afternoon. Runs into resort were horribly brown lower down which was a shame. also got a few stone scratches on the bases of skis.
went to kaprun on the Monday and had a great day there skiing the wonderfully crisp pisted runs at the top of the glacier in more wintry -6 degrees. Partner spent morning getting my skiing better on these wide slopes and introduced me to pole planting. Fell out with her cause i could not do it but persevered and once i got it, it made a huge difference to my skiing at certainly made me feel confident skiing the black runs. In particular the black mamba run which is new and a tremendous run.
The locals told us on the Monday it would snow on Tuesday due to the way the cloud was forming and they were right. A decent dump throughout the day and night on Tuesday saw some lovely fresh powder on Wednesday morning which was a beautiful day up top but a bit cloudy down low. It improved the lower parts of the black 11,13 and 14 into resort although by the end of the day these had become really scraped and very icy so care had to be taken as i found out when i slid at the top of 14 on a very steep part sliding 100 metres on my backside with one ski.
Thursday was the best day weather wise with total blue sky and the pistes in great condition for the morning. I love red 10 all the way down to the bottom of the Arbeitbahn. the first time couple that came with us took Thursday off to rest their legs (big mistake) and regretted it when they saw Friday's weather.
It started snowing on Thursday night and never stopped all the way through Friday. We went to Kaprun on the 0820 bus and visibility up the glacier was almost zero with whiteout conditions. I have no experience of off piste but had an absolutely brilliant day skiing in two feet of fresh snow and that was on piste, great fun. too tired to go out much but crazy daisy's was good for quiet apres and wild nights of which we had two.
great holiday and would return to Zell
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As I recall there was always a big icy patch on black 11 - just below that 'leap of faith' ridge on the steepest section. Some careful negotiation required!

I'm sure it was just there to provide entertainment for people on the gondola.

One of the blacks, 15 I think, isn't really black at all. We were told they just gave it that grading to keep the beginners off it!

I think one of my favourite runs was red 10 down to Schuttdorf.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You sound like you had a great time. We are off on the 8th march and can't wait!! We have booked a cheap and cheerful one this time around (as just got married and funds low) and are staying at the hotel Traube in the centre of Zell, just wondering if you went in there at all, apparently got a good cellar bar!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cant think of it, but i am sure you will have a great time. Apres is not as good as other places in Austria for some reason. Probably not helped when we were there because of the lack of snow (none) in the town itself. There are a few of these glass dome things that are mobbed and bouncing but i find them claustrophobic especially with smoking allowed. The diele (spelling) is pretty jumping in the town from about 430pm right through until about 5am. went in there a couple of nights but preferred crazy daisy as it does not allow smoking apart from the top floor and is cleaner. Good live band play there three or four times a week from about 1030 pm.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy