Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

so what is your pet peeve,

Poster: A snowHead
I understand the ski lift complaints but I ski with the wife. Occasionally if there is just one seat left we wait for the next chair to talk on the way up. Sorry, but its just one chair.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My pet peeve. Borders flopping all over my skis at ski lifts. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
How about when it's no more than 8 ppl in the queue, you get in a 6-men gondola with a friend looking forward to a nice relaxing ride up with a chat, and as you are about to depart there is family of 4 jumping in from the back of a queue so now you are riding up in a packed gondola and have to listen to their conversation and they save themselves a precious 2 minutes?

If your priority on a ski holiday is a nice relaxing ride and a chat, why not just stay in the hotel for the day?

Or alternatively wait and get the next gondola. But don't hold people up who have actually gone to the ski resort to ski.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyone using the word 'pow'.
People smoking on chairlifts (actually anywhere on the mountain)
Snowboarders sitting in daft places (and no it's not only snowboarders, but it is MOSTLY snowboarders)
Snowboarders making a complete back bottom of every lift
Waiting for people to re-clip their ski-boots at the top of every lift - For God's sake why not buy a pair that fits?
The attitude that better skiers have more right to be on the mountain, or indeed a black run, than an absolute beginner.

I don't get too fussed about every lift not filled to capacity. Skiing is as much about spending time with friends as sliding down a mountain. I love the few minutes chatting on a chairlift and I'd rather do that with a friend than some huge hairy Belgian or someone who thinks that words like 'pow', 'dude', 'man' etc are remotely cool.
I don't get fussed about ski schools snaking across the piste or learners stopping in daft places or cluttering up runs. I spent too much time in that position myself.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Feckin punters walking with their skis (like cocks) crossing across from the pavement into the road because they're worried about falling over in their ski boots into the road when you're trying to drive up the hill in conditions when you don't want to stop - please take note all you potential idiots!

Pet peeves? Idiots who are too lazy, stupid or tight to make sure they have the right tyres/chains for the conditions.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
TheGeneralist, I am in a gondola already, so what's the problem with waiting less then a couple minutes to get for yourself and your family a nice empty one? I have no problem with sharing etc. especially when it's busy, but when there is literally no-one? But yes, I suppose next time we'll just start talking about something not appropriate for families. My priority in ski-holiday is to enjoy myself, which does include having a chat on a lift. I am not worried that I can miss the whole 2 minutes of skiing because I had to wait for the lift.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Other people's intolerance for beginners. We all had to start somewhere.
More experienced skiers saying to their newbie friends "come out with us this afternoon. You'll be fine". In my experience this is the source of the "beginners on inappropriate slopes" problem. The so called friends normally get bored very quickly of having to wait and ski off leaving poor newbie on their own or with just one of the party, feeling scared and inadequate. During my season in the alps this happened numerous times.

Quote:

The attitude that better skiers have more right to be on the mountain, or indeed a black run, than an absolute beginner.

totally agree with this too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Use the word "pow".
People skiing out of control
People who think they are far better than they are and won't shut up about how good they are
People who think they are far worse than they are and completely under-rate their ability (Mrs. Dobby)
Teenagers hooning around at Mach 6 and hitting Mrs. Dobby into next week.
5 year olds skiing beautifully (just annoying)
My daughter (who will, no doubt, be far better than me at the end of this year's trip)
People not clearing the arrival zone at the top of a lift
The Danish student who kept us awake with their partying last year. Blinking youngsters!
The French woman who always pushed in front of me in ski school in LDA
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FastCarver74, +1 - How quick some people forget.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Snowboarders making a complete back bottom of every lift

I'm really sorry but it takes quite a bit of time to get used to getting off a chair. Or staying on the trebuchet Pomas. There's no way of practicing apart from doing it, and landing on your face every time till you figure it out. Most of us try and limit the number of skiers we'll take out when we do fall over though Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
call me dave, no you don't! Looks blinking difficult, though, especially those power pomas which stop and then launch you forwards.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
call me dave,
Quote:

I'm really sorry but it takes quite a bit of time to get used to getting off a chair. Or staying on the trebuchet Pomas. There's no way of practicing apart from doing it, and landing on your face every time till you figure it out. Most of us try and limit the number of skiers we'll take out when we do fall over though

Don't worry. we know it's difficult.... which is probably why most of us skiers don't try and board! TBH it's probably not even a pet peeve, just a cheap shot at boarders. Mea culpa. Apologies. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bad park etiquette.

too many complaints to list......(mostly involving skiiers Wink)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flat bits... Sad
More specifically not knowing theres a flat bit and not carrying enough speed to get to the sweet, blessed gradient on the other side... Crying or Very sad
Even more specifically the ars€hats who infernally pootle along 3 abreast or weave about on narrow cat-tracks and make you scrub speed when approaching a flat bit... Mad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Don't worry. we know it's difficult.... which is probably why most of us skiers don't try and board! TBH it's probably not even a pet peeve, just a cheap shot at boarders. Mea culpa. Apologies. Very Happy

Apology accepted through gritted teeth Wink

Having moaned about it hurting, nothing beats the surprise (and resulting victory dance) when your board hits the snow at the top, you ready yourself, brace for impact and shut your eyes... only to glide forward and come to a graceful halt the right way up Wink
snow report
Quote:

bad park etiquette

Go on then, educate me. Seriously. I want to know what faux pas I may be committing.

cheer
ski holidays
TheGeneralist, Cutting in, dropping before the features clear, not clearing quickly.
ski holidays
skiing off the transitions (small jump) in front of rails, using them as small jumps is one of the most annoying things you can do.

sitting on rails (it happens more than you might think)

not hitting kickers fast enough and just dropping off the back of them (ruins the lip of the jump)

skiing between lines or moving from one line to the other.

randomly zig zagging through the park like ESF down the piste

hitting one feature and then stopping before hitting the next
snow report
I pretty much enjoy all my skiing and have few peeves, cannot stand people skiing at speed with poor control in crowded areas though. Not that my control is perfect but I do control my speed.
latest report
Oh and skiiers who have never bothered to have a lesson
ski holidays
NOT being on a mountain...that is my main peeve! Everything else is fluff and pretence.

Oh...a bowl of chips costing as much as my mortgage, that can make me baity!
snow report
DavidYacht, people that make general sweeping statements about others having lessons like it is the be all and end all. Believe or not there are people who can do stuff that you can do but never have professional tuition to have to do it.
ski holidays
jirac18, spot on but there are plenty of people who think they can do stuff they plainly can't.
latest report
dobby, wouldn't disagree with you
snow report
DavidYacht, Why would you care if others have lessons or not? Indeed, why would you care how well others can / cannot ski? Also, if someone thinks they can do something but can't then they'll just fall over/go slowly/look silly etc. which again is there problem not mine.
ski holidays
Quote:

Also, if someone thinks they can do something but can't then they'll just fall over/go slowly/look silly etc. which again is there problem not mine.

Not your problem unless you're unlucky enough to be the thing they use to come to a halt because they haven't worked out how to stop. I don't care if someone has had 100 lessons or none but I do care if their inability to recognise/accept the limitations of their ability puts others in danger.
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
I'm on holiday. I have absolutely nothing to complain about. Skiing rocks!

Could not agree more.

EDIT:

1. having to go home
2. The bottom of the bottle
ski holidays
eddiethebus, worst park etiquette is snaking the queue.

See all those people "hanging around" at the top of the park? They're waiting for their turn to ride. If you want to ride the park, you have to wait until all of them have dropped-in. Apart from the ones who really are just hanging around. Telling the difference is, admittedly, sometimes tricky.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DavidYacht wrote:
Oh and skiiers who have never bothered to have a lesson

Why?

The main uncontrollable hazard on the piste is people skiing crowded slopes at excessive speed. Betcha they've had lessons. Slow-moving beginners aren't hard to avoid.
ski holidays
My biggest peeve is the end of the day when the light starts to go and the lifts stop running and i have to wait 13 hours until i am back on it.

I also have a slight dislike of snowboarders coming down behind me seemingly out of control making that scraping noise as they take all the snow off the piste and leave the icy base. I don't hate snowboarders as a rule and both my kids board i just dislike this noise as i always feel they are about to run into the back of me.

Skiers who go onto runs they do not have the ability to get down. We have probably all done it at some point but I saw some ridiculous examples this year in Zell where people who in my opinion were not at the stage where they could control a linked snow plough turn were trying to get down steep reds. The results were falling and sliding or just stopping completely terrified. What also surprised me was that some of these people were accompanied by good skiers. My advice to them is leave your pals in ski school until they can do the basics then leave them on a blue all day to practice. I am all for beginners getting on the slopes but not until they can control themselves.
ski holidays
i also get annoyed when i see people not wearing helmets. I know this does not affect me but i don't understand why people think they are too good or cool to wear one. I have only been involved in one incident where my helmet helped me and it was not my fault. I got my binding locked into someone elses on the chairlift whilst travelling up and when stepping off the person pushed me to get away and i fell backwards my head hitting the ground first. even with the helmet i was quite stunned.

The issue of boarders sitting down in the middle of a piste has already been discussed and i saw the consequences of this on a black run at the top of kitzteinhorn. A skier travelling down the piste came to the steep section at the bottom where you come over a blind point. He skied quite within his rights but on coming over the crest found two boarders sitting right in the middle having a chat and a rest. He struck them sending him into the air and he came down heavily and tumbled a good 100 metres to the bottom. I could not believe he was able to get up from this and was very lucky. This is not just boarders they are just more of a hazard because they sit down making them invisible at some places on a piste.

apart from that i really don't moan much on a ski holiday as it is the happiest times of my year
snow report
mikeelsa wrote:
i also get annoyed when i see people not wearing helmets. I know this does not affect me ...

An interesting perspective on the world. I mostly don't wear a helmet, but not for the reasons you suggest. Perhaps your annoyance at me is based on your ignorance of my rationale?
mikeelsa wrote:
The issue of boarders sitting down in the middle of a piste has already been discussed and i saw the consequences of this on a black run at the top of kitzteinhorn. A skier travelling down the piste came to the steep section at the bottom where you come over a blind point. ...

If you launch off anything "blind" then you risk quite a lot. There may be a poor fallen child skier there, for example.
ski holidays
i can't think of any good reason for not wearing a helmet but i am sure you have one. That skier did not launch over anything and a poor fallen child would make it a tragic accident if the skier then collided with said child.

Two boarders sitting chatting and having a rest where they were was stupid, inconsiderate and the 100% cause of the accident
snow conditions
Ref. Lessons, firstly I had percieved the OP that this was about what you thought rather than said!

So I have skied lots of times with mates who have had no instruction in their life, they ski fast and imo with little control because they use muscle rather than technique to get around the piste. Having had a bit of instruction here and there, not just in skiing, it is quite clear that you can get a long way up the learning curve with a bit of instruction.

By the way, I suspect that a number of the peeves listed above ref. etiquette, where to park on the piste, rules of the road etc. might have been resolved had the offenders had a bit of instruction.

So my peeve is more about, when I am skiing with my mates I am peeved that if they had had a bit of instruction they would have a bit more control, and I would not feel the need to ski such a line 50m to the right or left!
ski holidays
stevomcd wrote:
eddiethebus, worst park etiquette is snaking the queue.

See all those people "hanging around" at the top of the park? They're waiting for their turn to ride. If you want to ride the park, you have to wait until all of them have dropped-in. Apart from the ones who really are just hanging around. Telling the difference is, admittedly, sometimes tricky.

put your hand up, say dropping and if no one says anything just go. no need to wait, as you say there can be loads of people just sitting down or watching...
snow conditions
mikeelsa,
Quote:

Two boarders sitting chatting and having a rest where they were was stupid, inconsiderate and the 100% cause of the accident

Stupid and inconsiderate no disputing, 100% the cause of the accident, er no the skier skied at speed into a blind spot where there could have been anything from a fallen skier to a silly snowboarder sitting down, the skier is absolutely not without blame.
ski holidays
mikeelsa wrote:
i also get annoyed when i see people not wearing helmets.

Mind your own damn business.

I choose not to wear a helmet. When its a nice day I choose not to wear my wooly protective Scottish wool hat.
My choice.

mikeelsa wrote:

Rubbish. Stupid and inconsiderate (and far from rare), yes. But the skier below and in front has the priority. Even if they are contravening FIS rule 6, Rule 3 applies to the approaching skier just as in a car. http://www.lungau.at/en/winterurlaub/lungaulungo-ski-region/fis-rules-of-the-slopes.html
ski holidays
mikeelsa, regarding helmets every adult should be able to assess his personal risks and make a decision according to this assessment. It's really strange to have so much concern over what someone else is wearing on slopes. My b/f doesn't even wear a hat, only a band, and it doesn't even cross my mind to start pestering him over it. As for strangers - I hardly notice what they are wearing. And yeah, some people are that good. Haven't seen a single mountain guide with a helmet yet. As for the second point - coming over a crest you are responsible to slow down since you have no idea if the slope below is clear, so while boarders (or anyone) shouldn't be stopping in the middle of the slope and particularly where they cannot be seen, you can't blame them for the accident. Uphill skier is more responsible since he clearly was going too fast to avoid the collision and if he's in a situation when he can't see what's below he is responsible to slow down.
ski holidays
I can't believe this has turned into ANOTHER helmet debate. This really is getting tiresome.
ski holidays
never summer wrote:
mikeelsa, regarding helmets every adult should be able to assess his personal risks and make a decision according to this assessment. It's really strange to have so much concern over what someone else is wearing on slopes. My b/f doesn't even wear a hat, only a band, and it doesn't even cross my mind to start pestering him over it. As for strangers - I hardly notice what they are wearing. And yeah, some people are that good. Haven't seen a single mountain guide with a helmet yet. As for the second point - coming over a crest you are responsible to slow down since you have no idea if the slope below is clear, so while boarders (or anyone) shouldn't be stopping in the middle of the slope and particularly where they cannot be seen, you can't blame them for the accident. Uphill skier is more responsible since he clearly was going too fast to avoid the collision and if he's in a situation when he can't see what's below he is responsible to slow down.

+1
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy