Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

so what is your pet peeve,

Poster: A snowHead
+1FastCarver74,
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eddiethebus wrote:
stevomcd wrote:
eddiethebus, worst park etiquette is snaking the queue.

See all those people "hanging around" at the top of the park? They're waiting for their turn to ride. If you want to ride the park, you have to wait until all of them have dropped-in. Apart from the ones who really are just hanging around. Telling the difference is, admittedly, sometimes tricky.

put your hand up, say dropping and if no one says anything just go. no need to wait, as you say there can be loads of people just sitting down or watching...

A little off topic (maybe it'll help divert the conversation away from helmets! Wink ) but I've just realised from this thread how little I know about park terminology. 'Dropping in'? 'Kicker'? I thought there were just jumps and rails.

I feel that if I put my hand up and say 'dropping', everyone will just look at me and laugh! Confused
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ohhh…Helmets!!

(gets popcorn, sits back and watches!)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here Adam, have some of mine, I use my helmet as a popcorn bowl.
On peeves, RAIN in ski resorts, while it will turn to snow, I always feel like a character in a movie that shouts NOOOOOOOOOOOO and it eccos around the mountain.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

while it will turn to snow

by no means guaranteed..... Skullie
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh I know pam, but the higher you are the better the chance, iukwim. That is a terrible horror all together to have a few days of rain in a resort. Peeves don't have to be rational though, it is just stuff that is annoying. I mean some of the stuff that annoys us is totally irrational.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mikeelsa,
Quote:

Two boarders sitting chatting and having a rest where they were was stupid, inconsiderate and the 100% cause of the accident

As others have said, the boarders were stupid and inconsiderate but the vast majority of the fault lies with the skier. You should always be able to stop within the distance you can see.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Handy Turnip wrote:
...I've just realised from this thread how little I know about park terminology. 'Dropping in'? 'Kicker'? I thought there were just jumps and rails.

I feel that if I put my hand up and say 'dropping', everyone will just look at me and laugh! Confused

It's not specifically a park thing. I only go to parks when walking the dog or when someone pays me to photograph people in them, but "dropping" is what you say in the back country when you're dropping into chute, for example, so that everyone doesn't all drop at once. Same concept, different context.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Handy Turnip wrote:
...I've just realised from this thread how little I know about park terminology. 'Dropping in'? 'Kicker'? I thought there were just jumps and rails.

I got accused of becoming a "park rat" last week. all I did was the camel bumps on the kiddies one top of Ahorn. Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
philwig wrote:

It's not specifically a park thing. I only go to parks when walking the dog or when someone pays me to photograph people in them, but "dropping" is what you say in the back country when you're dropping into chute, for example, so that everyone doesn't all drop at once. Same concept, different context.

Interestingly I did this the other day when cruising past some people gathered above a slope. I was however pretty confident that they had no idea what I meant (which was "don't suddenly grow some balls now and drop in on me right now")
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Did you ever notice if one or two stand to have a look down the slope, then lots of people stand and look and block the top .
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Handy Turnip, haha I feel the same in France and Italy, but when I was in the States I'd sometimes put on an American accent and didn't get laughed at or given looks at all.

My peeves:
People who schusse with their poles under their armpits causing their poles to stick up in the air.
People who put their poles on their head like horns while skiing.
Little kids who slowly ski over jumps or off and just land on the flat.
People who ski over my skis at lift lines
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pet peeve threads
kitchen sale threads Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
people taking their own drinks to bars, thus saving themselves a fortune, but getting all the vibes. Tight wads.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Random wannabe (often ex) ski instructors coming for a nice day out and continually giving unsolicited advice to people who haven't asked for it.
People with silly apps on their phone which make them obsess about outskiing each other.
people who say they want to come skiing with a group but only if they can dictate the day's route according to where THEY want to ski.
People who are skiing with a group but then suddenly decide they want to do their own thing without telling anyone where they're going.

Aahh yes. Skiing with random tag-alongs. That just about sums it up wink
latest report
Humpfknick, I guess you like to ski alone Very Happy
ski holidays
Yes! Or with people who just shut up and ski. We can talk on the lifts, if necessary Twisted Evil Lol, ah I'm not that bad, it's just something I've noticed, and the more I see it the more irritating it gets Wink
snow conditions
Ha ha, Humpfknick, I am puzzled as to how you find random tag alongs, do you have one of those backsides that everyone wants to follow?
Arno your just grumpy, go on admit it there has to be something that even on a wonderful mountain full of snow, just gets you gritting your teeth, or do you wax your halo before you go?
ski holidays
biddpyat, I'm my own worst enemy, lol!! Ah you know the snowball effect, two or three people turn up to go skiing, then a few friends of each also show up, then the discussions start about where to go, then more people show up. the trick is to GTF OUT of the restaurant in the morning before everyone starts showing up for their hungover coffee, lol. I just can't resist stopping to hear the gossip from the night before!! wink
ski holidays
Just people really. I love absolutely everything else about skiing Wink

Just to pick up on a reply to the peeve of people walking up the road, it doesn't matter if you've got the right tyres/chains on for the conditions sometimes if somebody walks out in front of you without looking, or you're going up/down a slush covered hill or coming around a slush covered corner to find three people walking abreast in the middle of the road. Just because you're on holiday does not mean that you won't get hurt if a car hits you.
ski holidays
Ha , got ya Humpfknick, We are lucky now we just stay in hotels or whatever and get out on the slopes before most hang over heads are up. Although there was a time in Sauze that we got to know ALL of he other residents so it was a laugh in the hotel at breakfast etc, but big ski groups wouldn't suit me, too much stop and go. I usally tell everyone meet you at point x, ( bar or lift). What is great craic though is to have a game of piste tag. You pass on a bean bag with ribbons, and they have to tag another member with it and on it goes,. Whoever ends up wearing the ribbon has to buy the first round.
snow conditions
mikeelsa wrote:
i also get annoyed when i see people not wearing helmets.

The issue of boarders sitting down in the middle of a piste has already been discussed and i saw the consequences of this on a black run at the top of kitzteinhorn. A skier travelling down the piste came to the steep section at the bottom where you come over a blind point. He skied quite within his rights but on coming over the crest found two boarders sitting right in the middle having a chat and a rest. He struck them sending him into the air and he came down heavily and tumbled a good 100 metres to the bottom. I could not believe he was able to get up from this and was very lucky. This is not just boarders they are just more of a hazard because they sit down making them invisible at some places on a piste

U trollin bro?
ski holidays
People singing badly 80s hair rock while weaving through traffic on a busy pinch point which was chunking up.

This may be a self callout Embarassed
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:

U trollin bro?

sh*t, and I took
snow report
biddpyat, that sounds like a fun game- if only to deter the hangers on, lol!! Happy
ski holidays
Also, it never occurred to me that my bum might be the attraction- maybe that's why they're always telling me to schuss??! Hahahaha wink
latest report
Toofy Grin It is a fun game, if everyone else is of the same frame of mind. It also adds to après ski as folks will aim to all reach the same place in the evening .
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
mikeelsa,
Quote:

Two boarders sitting chatting and having a rest where they were was stupid, inconsiderate and the 100% cause of the accident

As others have said, the boarders were stupid and inconsiderate but the vast majority of the fault lies with the skier. You should always be able to stop within the distance you can see.

+1

I find it difficult to understand why this point is not clear. There are very few circumstances where crashing into someone from above them on the piste would not be the fault of the uphill skier/boarder and this is not one of them.

Yes it is stupid and dangerous to sit in the middle of the piste, stop just the other side of a blind rise, start off without checking uphill and a whole other list of idiotic things people do on the slopes. BUT we are all responsible for skiing within our limits, in control, allowing sufficient space/time for those below us on the slope to do whatever idiotic thing they can think of without crashing into them. I have never in my life skied fast over a blind rise without being absolutely sure there was nothing there - i.e. on a roped off and supervised race course.

If there had been a child that had fallen and/or injured itself the other side of the rise, a terrible incident could have occurred with potentially life threatening injuries as a result. I am sure the skier would state (and believe) they did not intend any harm and therefore it is an accident, but it is no accident when one chooses to behave in a dangerous and reckless manner (skiing fast over a blind rise would definitely qualify).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree, ski at a speed where you know you can control it. However it is annoying to come over a rise espically when it is one you get enough speed to get air, and someone is having a leg break in your way, just land and turn, but that split second heart attack isn't much fun. I often wonder why folks , why do you do that. Different if something is wrong or someone falls, but the oh see you fell there I will come along and sit right beside you and we will wait for jimmy who will soon add to the line. I suppose it smacks of the me me me attitude a lot of people have.
snow report
unreasonably expensive beer. ( maybe shouldnt go to france )
the 6 FT German who finishes his morning fag at the cable and jumps in at the last moment. Squeezes in front on you, brings in what is left of the fart he considerately did before getting in, then breathing his monster breath at me from close range for the duration ..... sometimes I wonder why I married him !! snowHead .... not really ,.... i dont know who he was,...but i remember him !!
snow report
biddpyat wrote:
I agree, ski at a speed where you know you can control it. However it is annoying to come over a rise espically when it is one you get enough speed to get air, and someone is having a leg break in your way, just land and turn, but that split second heart attack isn't much fun. I often wonder why folks , why do you do that. Different if something is wrong or someone falls, but the oh see you fell there I will come along and sit right beside you and we will wait for jimmy who will soon add to the line. I suppose it smacks of the me me me attitude a lot of people have.

+1

It is VERY annoying, and I think part of the increasingly selfish behaviour we see on the slopes. What I find interesting is when you politely point out to people that they should not be where they are - the response is often rude and sometimes aggressive - I have no problem dealing with aggression not least because it always comes form defensiveness (i.e. they know they are in the wrong) but I suspect a lot of people say nothing out of fear.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
mikeelsa,
Quote:

Agree and disagree, boarders have a tendancy to sit down over a crest. Kids do too, I tell mine every damn time he does it.

If I cant see them and they get hit then it's on their head... Literally.
snow report
Yep it's covered by THE CODE under don't stop where you can't be seen but skiing so fast and in insufficient control that you can't take evasive action crossing a blind terrain feature (assuming this is on piste) and you travel 100m as a result makes you a total prick and liability. It's scarely credible which it why it sounds like a troll or at least blatant hyperbole.
snow conditions
Doesn't the fact that kids tend to sit down over a crest give us all good reason to never ski over a crest at speed? I find all the justification of this kind of behaviour incredulous.

Stupid and dangerous to sit down or stop over a crest. BUT it happens - deliberately (kids/idiots) or inadvertently (when someone has fallen).

Incredibly reckless to ski over a crest in such a way that you could crash into someone sitting down or otherwise stopped over the crest. How would anyone who crashed into and injured a kid in such circumstances feel? Is it really more important that you impose some self-generated "right" (which does not actually exist in reality) to ski as you please, and reassure yourself that if you did crash into someone it would be an "accident" because you could not see then over a blind crest? I think that would be small consolation if you did hurt someone, as well as ignoring the fact that the behaviour is likely to be interpreted as deliberately negligent/reckless.

I for one EXPECT kids/idiots to be stopped over a crest and ski accordingly. I also teach my kids not to stop in dangerous spots. I expect others to also do both, and wish ski areas would patrol more effectively to help educate slope users and deal with persistently dangerous skiing/boarding.
snow report
Get off your high horse will you, I also expect kids to be there but not everyone has the protective parent mentailty.
snow report
homers double wrote:
Get off your high horse will you, I also expect kids to be there but not everyone has the protective parent mentailty.

Not sure that is entirely called for but hey ho, sorry for upsetting you.
ski holidays
No problem, its a reasonable argument anyway.
snow report
Jester hats and these:

http://shop.breckenridgehatcompany.com/helmet-covers/

grrrrr
latest report
My pet peeve is the fact I live 4,000 miles away from the Alps.

Costs a fortune just to get there.
latest report
Thanks jubnut, we were looking for helmet covers for the kids Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy