Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best carving pitches in the Espace Killy?

Poster: A snowHead
Am off to Val Despair tomorrow and although I've done 6 and a bit weeks in the EK, it's a few years ago and all but 2 days of that time has been on performance/training/off-piste courses, mostly on the Grande Motte. So, as I don't know the area too well for solo off-piste skiing I shall probably be hooning around on piste for most of the time.

So where are the best pitches for highish speed carving (say 40-50mph) where I can have fun without killing any innocent bystanders?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OK, double M, many of the reds on the west side of Tignes.

But if you really wanna see if you can carve, look no further than Face...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
peanuthead wrote:

That is the motorway into Val Claret, usually ram-packed and a terrible suggestion for somewhere to ski safely at speed.

Said with feeling as a pillock crashed into me from behind last season and guess which piste that was on?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
peanuthead wrote:

But if you really wanna see if you can carve, look no further than Face...

Well he will certainly End up doing 40 to 50 mph if he lets the skis rip. to be fair in good conditions first thing in the morning while everyone is going up its a nice run. At 1600 not so fun when everyone is coaxing down their scared friend ......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Santons - there is a fantastic moving slalom course through there ...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to clarify, I guess what I'm really asking for is sections of wide piste 300-500m long on about a 25 degree angle with a run out that are quiet. Think steep Blue/shallow Red. They're the most fun IMO because you can really crank the skis over and do very wide turns but you need to be sure there's no-one coming down as you scream across the piste. There are several in the 3V's that I use regularly where they're either dead to start with or you can stand at the top and wait for a clear section to go and rip. I know Orange and M but they're usually busy so what else is there? Is there good stuff in Fornet, for instance?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can't remember the names of the runs, but my l2 longs were done up top of the funi turn right as you exit and there are 2 or 3 blues... Skiers left of the world cup course and served by a fast chair for laps...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Many of the higher up reds on western side of tignes I think fit your bill. Can't think of names but I think cyclamem, merles, ancolie, blueys usually pretty quiet and great for blast.

Orange gets v bumpy low down so not good.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last week Double M was just about deserted up until around 10.30 . The black run on the other side of that mountain Leisse albeit not too long is quiet and well pisted .
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
Can't remember the names of the runs, but my l2 longs were done up top of the funi turn right as you exit and there are 2 or 3 blues... Skiers left of the world cup course and served by a fast chair for laps...

That would be Diebold, which iirc has at least one blind hump.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 1-02-14 10:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Raceplate wrote:
Just to clarify, I guess what I'm really asking for is sections of wide piste 300-500m long on about a 25 degree angle with a run out that are quiet. Think steep Blue/shallow Red.

Lower section of Club des Sports or maybe some of the blues in the Solaises area? None of them typically quiet though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beeryletcher wrote:
Santons - there is a fantastic moving slalom course through there ...

An excellent suggestion, especially as I can guarantee I won't be there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Raceplate wrote:
Just to clarify, I guess what I'm really asking for is sections of wide piste 300-500m long on about a 25 degree angle with a run out that are quiet. Think steep Blue/shallow Red. They're the most fun IMO because you can really crank the skis over and do very wide turns but you need to be sure there's no-one coming down as you scream across the piste. There are several in the 3V's that I use regularly where they're either dead to start with or you can stand at the top and wait for a clear section to go and rip. I know Orange and M but they're usually busy so what else is there? Is there good stuff in Fornet, for instance?

25deg is a black, the steepest sections of most WC slalom courses is about that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Just to clarify, I guess what I'm really asking for is sections of wide piste 300-500m long on about a 25 degree angle with a run out that are quiet. Think steep Blue/shallow Red.

Most 25 degree slopes are black. But then again we are talking espace Killy here
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OK / Orange from the top of Bellvarde then veer off left to take the slalom track from Folie Douce (skiers far left at the ridge) then Raye to the left of the Trifolet down into la Daille.

Any of the blues off the Glacier Express run on Solaise although may be slightly busy at times.

The reds on the Pissalis (Fornet) glacier.

Have fun, stay safe snowHead
latest report
Go to the top of Grand Motte and wait for everyone else to go, then ski down just before the next cable car arrives
snow report
Scampi Dellahanti wrote:
The reds on the Pissalis (Fornet) glacier.

They are undulating. If you are going 40-50 mph you are going to be passing fast over blind bumps.

Same goes for OK/Orange.
ski holidays
The blues off the Glacier Express first thing, before they get busy. Later, take the T-bar up at the top of Pisaillas and ski the blues at the top
ski holidays
^ agreed, and it's usually quieter up there.

Le Murs in Tignes is fun for a short blast too, and has good vis.
snow report
Grattula, but maybe not steep enough?
snow report
The reds on Pisaillas, especially if you go straight up there first thing. Always better earlier in the week - later on all the beginners/re-starters discover it. And yeah, the Face! They've not had racing on it for a while, I was there before 25 Jan and it was in pretty good nick.
ski holidays
stevew, Grattalu is one of my favourite pistes in the EK. Wonderful for fast carving. You just have to hope it's reasonably quiet, which it mostly isn't. Luckily a lot of people split off for the snow park.
latest report
Quote:

Grand Motte and wait for everyone else to go

Yep this has got to be my favourite playground, the Trolles is another cheeky favourite
ski holidays
The best wide open pistes to race down with arcing big carving turns are Arcelle using the Manchet Express in the Solaise area, all the runs off the Cascade Express and Montets Tbar on the Fornet Glacier, first thing or at lunchtime on the OK piste from the top of Olympique down to la Daille or first thing on La Face.

The conditions here are amazing for piste skiing at the moment with grippy, well groomed hero snow.

Have a great holiday.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy