Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What should I do with my skis?

Poster: A snowHead
No rude answers please! Very Happy

I haven't used them for a couple of seasons. After their last outing, I had them serviced and waxed at the resort and they have been standing upright in the ski bag ever since.

This may be a daft question, but will they be OK are are they likely to have warped/deteriorated at all? And if all is OK, what, if anything, should I do before my first run? Do I need to remove most of the wax coating in some way?

TIA
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure one of our expert ski techs will be along with detailed advice soon but they should be fine structurally. Also they would probably benefit from a fresh hot wax, if they were giving a storage waxing (so a good layer of wax left on them) that needs scraping off.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks davkt. Might get that done this afternoon, so all ready for when we get there!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think you should have taken them out of the ski bag a couple of seasons ago Wink

Bags get damp and keeping skis in them for extended period is, IMHO, unwise.

Get the skis out and have a look at them. Are the edges very rusty? Is there a visible layer of wax on the base?

If yes to either then get them serviced.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whoops! Thanks altis, no to rust but yes to wax. Looks like a trip to Snowtrax needs to be squeezed in this afternoon
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If there's no rust, just rewax them
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc, sorry to sound daft, but you mean get them waxed? It isn't one of the products that you can buy and apply yourself? Or is it?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can do DIY waxing, but if you haven't done it before look at the tuning guide on http://www.thepisteoffice.com/ (and if you find yourself in the Midlands go on Jons 1/2 day tuning course). As a bare minimum you need wax, an iron, scraper and brushes to do a decent job.
Visible wax needs scraping off as the first stage as that is just for storage and could be anything, then rewax with your chosen wax.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks davkt. I'll check out the guide and decide. Time constraints (I'm working out of the country for the first part of next week) might make the DIY option something for the next trip out in a couple of months.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its quite a fun and therapeutic thing to do! And Jon's half day course is great if you can get up here any time, I did it a couple of weeks ago, have already edged, waxed and base repaired the kids skis and boards which is the cost of the course saved and am now under pressure to teach my 9 year old daughter to service her own skis!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I will try to get up there before we (hopefully) head out at the end of March/beginning of April. I'm mostly rubbish at DIY type stuff, so any skills I pick up that I CAN do always make me feel good!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
To be really tight; the basic you need is some wax and a travel iron. Melt it on and iron it so it covers all the base.

You could scrape excess wax off with the side of a chisel or the back of a knife, or just leave it on and let the snow on the first run get rid of it for you.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yep I'm pretty pants at diy as well but so long as you are methodical ski tuning is pretty easy, if you want to do the course in the next couple of months I'd get it booked asap as they are very popular and I know Jon is busy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc, Or something like a car windscreen scraper would probably do and less chance of taking a chunk out of your base!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davkt, true. I use a metal scraper so that hadn't crossed my mind.
snow conditions
Busy getting stuff ready now but I'll look in detail at Jon's page and try to get a place on his course for when we get back. I don't think that I'll do it on a budget this week (and I don't want a bollicking for ruining the travel iron!) but I am quite looking forward to having a go at this when we get back. Playing with the kit always extends the holiday. Oh to be young enough to do a whole season and learn to ski properly....
ski holidays
t40ora, Just take them into a ski shop when you get there and get them to do a hot wax and they should be ready for your first run the next day! After you've done Jons course (oh and when you go either leave all cash/credit cards at home or expect to come away with a full tuning tool kit!) I doubt you'll ever trust a shop service again but no need to!
ski holidays
Hoping to get a half day when we arrive, so I think I will go to the local dry-slope/ski shop today to get them sorted. They are a good enthusiastic bunch and the prices aren't high.

Good advice about leaving cash and cards at home. I am prone to impulse buys!
snow report
Well if you have more than one set of skis in the family the tool kit will earn its keep!
latest report
And just a thought as you are a long way from Nottingham, the village the Piste office is in is only a mile or so outside the city so shouldn't be too expensive to get a taxi from the station.
ski holidays
Only one set at the moment. My wife prefers to hire and try new makes/models each time. Trying to talk her into finding a pair she loves and buying them.

Nottingham.... Hmm. We have to visit some old friends up there so it could be two birds with one stone!
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
davkt, true. I use a metal scraper so that hadn't crossed my mind.

Be careful with metal scraper to remove wax - before you know it you have a concave base - and that isn't fun. I guess you know this already given your "mega" status but just in case others don't! Use a plastic scraper for wax if you can - a good stiff ruler will do at a pinch. A knife or chisel mentioned before is a bit scary tbh!
snow conditions
Or a decent purpose made perspex scraper is only a few quid, way cheaper than having to have the base reground and all that takes off the life of the skis!
latest report
davkt wrote:
Or a decent purpose made perspex scraper is only a few quid, way cheaper than having to have the base reground and all that takes off the life of the skis!

Couldn't agree more.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy