Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half-term skiing - who's going where?

Poster: A snowHead
We're off to La Toussuire with 4 other families and it got me to wondering where other snowHead are off to. Anyone else in that area that week?

Where are you all heading?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obergurgl with us and some of the other family.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowlamb, good choice - we'll be in your area!

Actually, we're staying in St Jean de Maurienne again and driving to various resorts in the valley. We will probably be on your side of the Sybelles on at least one of the days - but we don't know which yet!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fieberbrunn.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Morillon and the Grand Massif ........dreading the queues and crowds but hey what can you do
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Saalbach, Austria
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jirac18 wrote:
Morillon and the Grand Massif ........dreading the queues and crowds but hey what can you do

Going to Morillon again Smile

Avoid ski school start/finish times Very Happy

Half term has been nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Passo Tonale - not sure how busy it can get but who cares.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
St Gervais Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bormio - for the English Championship races

http://www.englishalpinechamps.org.uk/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Avoriaz, but I'm staying on after half-term so hopefully get some quieter days too
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Selva with Esprit. Tonnes of snow!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Im heading back to the UK it will be a madhouse here in Chamonix wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob, ditto - we will leave Les Gets to those who have children or work in schools....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
La Plagne - it will be horrendous but the last half term ever snowHead
snow report
Cervinia - never skied in Italy before - my last half term ever too. Very Happy
ski holidays
Kay, years ago we went to Cervinia, during half term as I was working in a school at the time. It was fine. It was a long time ago when I think children went on school ski trips and parents went separately. Certainly never seemed really busy..
snow report
+3 for me, although have managed to avoid until last year so that was good going Very Happy
snow report
Maddona di Campilgo with my daughter, loved it last year so doing it again Very Happy
snow conditions
Our trip already done to the Alps this year over new year. So a couple of days in Scotland if the snow stays like it is
snow conditions
Dolomites.

7 night hut to hut ski tour, mostly on piste. We had a couple options, but has my youngest daughter has asthma, and needs extra rest sometimes, I choose for one where we twice spend the night in the same hut, just build in some buffering.

We're totally excited for this adventure!
latest report
Thanks Pamski fingers crossed for this year too. Next year will have retired from teaching so hopefully can finally get some cheap deals snowHead
ski holidays
HeidiAmsterdam, like the sound of that Very Happy
snow report
HeidiAmsterdam, like the sound of that too- do you know how late in the season you can do that? Looking for a nice few days away with the OH in early April Happy
snow conditions
Avoiding the crowds if we can possibly help it...
snow report
jma, we are in Selva over half term, third time, and apart from the Sella Ronda we have not found it overly busy, not long now wink)
snow report
Vars.
snow conditions
altis wrote:
snowlamb, good choice - we'll be in your area!

Actually, we're staying in St Jean de Maurienne again and driving to various resorts in the valley. We will probably be on your side of the Sybelles on at least one of the days - but we don't know which yet!

Easy drive to Orelle and a day in the three Valleys! snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, but why would we want to Wink
latest report
Humpfknick, evidently, the Dolomites area closed April 6th, according to the various websites I checked. Given how much snow they have, I had expected it to be open longer. At any rate the company I am going through is doing their last tour 15 March.

Thought I should mention, as I shopped around, I found several different options of small operators doing basically the same tour, but the prices varied, so it pays to google. I'm going with a group called snowemotion, but huttentocht.com and http://www.reichhalter.com/ski-huettentour-en.php was also about the same price, under 600 EUR for the week, for 7 nights, half board. Another group, italians, dolomia ski tour, do 4 night tours for 325, and it looks like they are continuing on for week more than the others. Having said that, the Dolomia ski tour group is now snowed in a refugio scoiatolli, since Wednesday night. Avalanche danger is too high to even ski out!

In comparison, I found virtually the same tours elsewhere for more than twice the price!!! So, a tip to the wise, it pays to shop around.
snow report
HeidiAmsterdam, OK….this is another take….as long standing mountaineers and mountain-bikers we think at different levels:

- destination (what hill will we be going to….)
- routes (what will be doing each day…)
- microroutes (what decisions will we face minute by minute, second by second, as we work our route….)

This year, as always, destination is determined - the same place as the last 20 years - how utterly boring….except it isn't, since the exciting action is at the route and micro route level. This year's snow has changed all our routes and our micro routing behaviour. North slopes are unstable in a way which I haven't seen in a long time - pits are showing a deep unstable layer close to the ground - November fall wind scoured and heated, then glazed. This makes many of our normal slopes very dangerous. Avalanche risk (as always really) has to be a process of forgetting what might be a 'safe slope' based on previous years, and evaluate as if you've never been on a specific slope. A friend experienced a substantial slide IN THE TREES in Verbier….

My 8 year old had a shock when launching off a lip he knows well, only to have exposed rocks come up at him…big discussion afterwards about scoping the landing and never taking any place for granted, particularly in a thin snow year.

So….where will be we be skiing - in the same place (at the highest level - i.e. Crans Montana) and in entirely new places at the level of routes and micro routes…..
snow report
Valmeinier, first half term trip.
snow conditions
HeidiAmsterdam, that's great info thanks so much! Only want to go for a few days so will look into those options Happy
snow conditions
Les Deux Alpes, wifey on the C2C with Charlotte. Son is with ESI snowboarding, me...I'll just be pottering around Little Angel
ski holidays
valais2,

I totally appreciate what you say. I grew up skiing Park City, Utah. My Father was weekend ski patrol when I was a child. I can ski that mountain(s) blind in any conditions. I never got bored there either. There was always some place I wanted to ski.

I fantasize that I will find a new 'home' in the Alps, but actually my list of places I want to ski, only grow with each season! There are so many amazing places, and I haven't even skied Austria yet! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Were it not for my daughter being poorly so often, I'd being going on my own between school holidays, but as it is, it just feels to irresponsible to leave home knowing she could fall ill at the drop of a hat. My husband works long hours, and it would just be too stressful should she fall ill and I was out and about. But, we're working on getting her health under control, so maybe next year.
snow report
Aww Heidi that's a tough one!! Hope you manage to get her asthma under control soon, the poor thing...
ski holidays
Maddona also, about 16 of us going, can't wait.
snow report
Rhumage wrote:
Maddona also, about 16 of us going, can't wait.

Where are you stopping? we're in the St Raphael.
snow report
stevew, We are also going to Madonna, where are you staying?
ski holidays
Utah and Wyoming, flying out mid week though. Being half term doesnt affect us or the trip Madeye-Smiley

HeidiAmsterdam, That hut trip sounds good for something totally different - Dolomites are one beautiful area I'd like to go back to at some point, enjoy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy