Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip up to Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
Since i haven't had the money or the time to get away this year i was thinking of making a weekend trip up to Scotland to Ski.

I'm based in Sheffield so first of all i was wondering what the closest and best Ski Center is up there?

I only have a little Corsa which is actually great in the snow because it's FWD but hows the conditions getting up there? Bearing in mind I've been over the Snake Pass when it's been hurling down and RWD BMW's have been getting stuck while i went straight past Cool But Is it 4x4 only business?

Me and my mate will probably book a cottage or a B&B for the weekend.

All my experience has been at indoor slopes and dry slopes unfortunately! That's not to say i don't know the mountains as i climbed the the highest mountain in North Africa in the Winter (Mount Toubkal) a couple years ago...

Any advice or suggestions appreciated? The snow conditions look good at the moment -- http://ski.visitscotland.com/conditions/

Cheers,

Matt Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Also is it worth the mission up there?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Definitely worth a mission if you can time it right - conditions can be variable so you have to be prepared for that. Roads are plowed etc so unless it is actually snowing heavily you'll be fine.

Glencoe and Nevis are supposed to be very good at the moment so probably your best bet. I've only been to Cairngorm and Glenshee on the east. Cairngorm feels most like a "ski resort" rather than a "ski area" (i.e., more modern, electronic lift ticketing and so on), but Glenshee is still good (and has a lot of character).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That sounds great!

I'll keep an eye on the forecasts and snowfall, I've been looking at Glencoe and i believe that's the closest but still a good 6 hours drive Shocked.

Think and early morning and lots of coffee will be needed for it!

Been wanting to do this for a year or two and with these conditions might be the time!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
P3Nn, the snow at Glencoe isn't going anywhere fast so you'd also be safe to leave it until March, April or even early May when the weather will be kinder. In April, conditions for skiing in Scotland are often quite superb.

End of April 2013 ... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=90880&start=640
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We're heading up from Sheffield on Friday so can give you a good run down when we return. Staying in Fort William and then going where seems best on each day.

Ive also never been before so quite looking forward to it. Just praying for no wind
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
moffatross wrote:
P3Nn, the snow at Glencoe isn't going anywhere fast so you'd also be safe to leave it until March, April or even early May when the weather will be kinder. In April, conditions for skiing in Scotland are often quite superb.

End of April 2013 ... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=90880&start=640

If its anything this year like it was last then that would be awesome Smile.

It snowed quite a lot last year in the UK yet we don't seem to be having as much luck! Was April an exception for last year or is that normal conditions?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
medlington wrote:
We're heading up from Sheffield on Friday so can give you a good run down when we return. Staying in Fort William and then going where seems best on each day.

Ive also never been before so quite looking forward to it. Just praying for no wind

Great stuff! Give me and update when your back Smile, You just going for for the weekend?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep just for the weekend. From what Ive heard the snow is actually better this year than last even though we havent had any down here.

Was showing a Scottish friend of mine the snow depths reported on snow-report app and he just couldnt believe it until he found some webcams, certainly looks like lots more than when I was in Kitzbuhel a couple of weeks ago.

currently showing:

Glen Co: 110 - 255cm
Nevis: 25 - 200cm
Glenshee: 25 - 50cm

and currently snowing with lots more forcast.

Like I said seems abit too good to be true but it was accurate about kitzbuhel
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
New guy here Smile, But took missus and myself up to Glenshee this weekend gone, We went for a couple of hours of private lessons (both n00bs)
But Glenshee was very nice, and speaking to the instructor / hire shop there is good skiing to be had higher up, At moment lower down its patch (in fact since sunday was all washed out) But they are saying that it has returned with vengence high up.
Driving upto the glenshee resort the roads were completely clear, and in fact its only when you get near to the resort itself do you even see the snow We stopped at a nice little BnB about 20miles futher down the A93 - Bear in mind that HRH lives just further up the road, so you can be sure that they know what they are doing with keeping roads clear lol its all A93 driving the way, no little roads like Snake Pass / Woodhead Pass

Must admit was enjoyable day for me 'n missus, and we will be going over the Ben Nevis range (we live near blackpool) so will be doable in a a single night to see which is better for us newer skiers..
This was the report from Freshtracks this morning
Ongoing fresh snow is topping up the runs and improving the snow cover.
Still loads of snow at the upper levels and getting better lower down all the time.

Forecast Vertical Descent
Wednesday, A mainly cloudy day with snow, heavy and persistant at first but easing by the afternoon.
Light SE wind. Freezing level 600m 300m
Weather
Overcast, snowing.
Wind/Temp at 700m 10mph SE, 0C
Road Status
Closed, should be opening after first light.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
timing is everything so be as flexible as possible to get info from people who are there and daily pics check winterhighland.info you will also get the heads up on the forum when people think it will be worth a punt
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The conditions "up here" at the moment are probably not that much different to "down there". Madeye-Smiley If the main roads - A9 for Cairngorm, A93 for Glenshee and A82 for Glencoe and Nevis - are declared open then you will be fine. The majority of cars going to the areas will be 4 x 2, not 4 x 4.

Glenshee is my favorite area and it is Scotland's largest. However, the lower slopes have suffered a bit over the last week or so and were in poor condition. The same applies to Cairngorm. Their website and Facebook updates say conditions are superb above the middle station but were a bit broken below.

Scottish centres are more susceptible to high winds and hill fog than Alpine resorts. Over the last few weeks all the main reports have had great snow conditions but have probably been closed more than they are open due to wind. When they have been open a lot of runs and lifts have been shut as the teams haven’t been able to get the lifts de-iced and or tracks clear. Same applies to the pistes; too much unprepared snow.

You should also consider where you will stay as most of the areas are not endowed with adjacent accommodation. As said already, Aviemore is the largest town next to a ski area with a bigger choice of hotels and B&Bs. Some charge stupid money during winter just because they can and not because they are worth it. For Glenshee you really have to stay in Braemar to have any choice. I stayed in a great wee B&B last April. I can't recall the name but I'll try to dig it out. Glencoe is very remote. Fort William is the closest main town and it has a good choice of accommodation but is probably 30 minutes’ drive. Nevis is north of FW but only a 10-15 minute drive.

Don’t just look at the driving distance to the ski area. Consider travel to the area and accommodation.

My advice would be to keep an eye on the forecasts and conditions and make a last minute decision on where to go. Getting accommodation should be okay and could even be organised while you are on the road.

In saying that I’m not really following my own advice. I’m going to Aviemore this weekend and staying at the Hilton Coylumbridge. However, It wasn’t planned for us to be there this weekend as we should have been there just after New Year but my wife was ill and we couldn’t travel. The Hilton very kindly agreed to transfer our non-changeable, non-refundable booking free of charge to this date. I’ve been keeping a close eye on the conditions this week and while there is masses of snow, there has been no or little uplift operating due to the wind. Saturday is looking okay weather-wise at the moment but if the heavy snow continues over the next couple of days as forecast then they may have issues with getting the uplift and pistes open. Sunday is looking like a write-off so we may return home early.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
P3Nn, lots of good advice so far on here. Yes, it's definitely worth it - especially if you can book last minute when the conditions are good. If you book a long time in advance, you run a high risk that on one or more days, some or all the resorts will be closed due to insufficient snow or too much wind.

Some info about the centres:

Glencoe
+ shorter drive
+ the most snow in Scotland at the moment
- the smallest area (but fine for a couple of days)
- the bottom lift within the ski area is a drag lift, so if there's no snow low down, the area is likely to close

Nevis Range
+ excellent snow conditions at the moment
+ Fort William a good place to stay
- longer drive
- prone to closure due to wind

Cairngorm
+ the most reliable for snow (good beginner areas right at the top, which are reached by a mountain railway)
+ Aviemore a good place to stay
- queues on many weekends and holidays
- prone to closure due to wind or heavy snow (!)

The Lecht
+ quiet, with little chance of queues
+ the most sheltered resort, so rarely closes due to wind
- longer drive
- low, often closes due to insufficient snow (some would disagree). Not enough snow to open at the moment!

Glenshee
+ shorter drive
+ the largest ski area (my favourite)
- queues on some weekends and holidays
- road prone to closure due to snow, especially southern approach

My advice would be to book last minute, or stay in Aviemore (for Cairngorm, The Lecht & Nevis Range) or Fort William (for Nevis Range, Glencoe & Cairngorm) so you can head wherever's best on the day.

I'd disagree with those who say they only open the roads when they're fine for all vehicles. We drive a regular car, and have had problems driving in deepish snow on the way up to both Glenshee and The Lecht. I've heard stories about the Cairngorm road too. You'd be unlucky to get stuck, but it's possible - especially if you go the morning after it's snowed overnight. Over on the west coast, the roads to Glencoe and Nevis Range are lower, and hardly ever an issue.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Should also say - conditions are currently good everywhere except the Lecht, which has almost no snow at all. If open, all five centres would be fine for a beginner skier. Glencoe probably the least ideal, and Cairngorm probably the best.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SlipSki wrote:
New guy here Smile, But took missus and myself up to Glenshee this weekend gone, We went for a couple of hours of private lessons (both n00bs)
But Glenshee was very nice, and speaking to the instructor / hire shop there is good skiing to be had higher up, At moment lower down its patch (in fact since sunday was all washed out) But they are saying that it has returned with vengence high up.
Driving upto the glenshee resort the roads were completely clear, and in fact its only when you get near to the resort itself do you even see the snow We stopped at a nice little BnB about 20miles futher down the A93 - Bear in mind that HRH lives just further up the road, so you can be sure that they know what they are doing with keeping roads clear lol its all A93 driving the way, no little roads like Snake Pass / Woodhead Pass

Must admit was enjoyable day for me 'n missus, and we will be going over the Ben Nevis range (we live near blackpool) so will be doable in a a single night to see which is better for us newer skiers..
This was the report from Freshtracks this morning
Ongoing fresh snow is topping up the runs and improving the snow cover.
Still loads of snow at the upper levels and getting better lower down all the time.

Forecast Vertical Descent
Wednesday, A mainly cloudy day with snow, heavy and persistant at first but easing by the afternoon.
Light SE wind. Freezing level 600m 300m
Weather
Overcast, snowing.
Wind/Temp at 700m 10mph SE, 0C
Road Status
Closed, should be opening after first light.

Great stuff thank's for the information Smile

If only i could convince my missus to get into skiing haha
snow report
Gaza wrote:
The conditions "up here" at the moment are probably not that much different to "down there". Madeye-Smiley If the main roads - A9 for Cairngorm, A93 for Glenshee and A82 for Glencoe and Nevis - are declared open then you will be fine. The majority of cars going to the areas will be 4 x 2, not 4 x 4.

Glenshee is my favorite area and it is Scotland's largest. However, the lower slopes have suffered a bit over the last week or so and were in poor condition. The same applies to Cairngorm. Their website and Facebook updates say conditions are superb above the middle station but were a bit broken below.

Scottish centres are more susceptible to high winds and hill fog than Alpine resorts. Over the last few weeks all the main reports have had great snow conditions but have probably been closed more than they are open due to wind. When they have been open a lot of runs and lifts have been shut as the teams haven’t been able to get the lifts de-iced and or tracks clear. Same applies to the pistes; too much unprepared snow.

You should also consider where you will stay as most of the areas are not endowed with adjacent accommodation. As said already, Aviemore is the largest town next to a ski area with a bigger choice of hotels and B&Bs. Some charge stupid money during winter just because they can and not because they are worth it. For Glenshee you really have to stay in Braemar to have any choice. I stayed in a great wee B&B last April. I can't recall the name but I'll try to dig it out. Glencoe is very remote. Fort William is the closest main town and it has a good choice of accommodation but is probably 30 minutes’ drive. Nevis is north of FW but only a 10-15 minute drive.

Don’t just look at the driving distance to the ski area. Consider travel to the area and accommodation.

My advice would be to keep an eye on the forecasts and conditions and make a last minute decision on where to go. Getting accommodation should be okay and could even be organised while you are on the road.

In saying that I’m not really following my own advice. I’m going to Aviemore this weekend and staying at the Hilton Coylumbridge. However, It wasn’t planned for us to be there this weekend as we should have been there just after New Year but my wife was ill and we couldn’t travel. The Hilton very kindly agreed to transfer our non-changeable, non-refundable booking free of charge to this date. I’ve been keeping a close eye on the conditions this week and while there is masses of snow, there has been no or little uplift operating due to the wind. Saturday is looking okay weather-wise at the moment but if the heavy snow continues over the next couple of days as forecast then they may have issues with getting the uplift and pistes open. Sunday is looking like a write-off so we may return home early.

That's some great advice!

Thank you i'm starting to look into the areas and accommodation now! Just need to get the timing right Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

Perhaps its better to enjoy the silence of the hills.. wink
latest report
denfinella wrote:
P3Nn, lots of good advice so far on here. Yes, it's definitely worth it - especially if you can book last minute when the conditions are good. If you book a long time in advance, you run a high risk that on one or more days, some or all the resorts will be closed due to insufficient snow or too much wind.

Some info about the centres:

Glencoe
+ shorter drive
+ the most snow in Scotland at the moment
- the smallest area (but fine for a couple of days)
- the bottom lift within the ski area is a drag lift, so if there's no snow low down, the area is likely to close

Nevis Range
+ excellent snow conditions at the moment
+ Fort William a good place to stay
- longer drive
- prone to closure due to wind

Cairngorm
+ the most reliable for snow (good beginner areas right at the top, which are reached by a mountain railway)
+ Aviemore a good place to stay
- queues on many weekends and holidays
- prone to closure due to wind or heavy snow (!)

The Lecht
+ quiet, with little chance of queues
+ the most sheltered resort, so rarely closes due to wind
- longer drive
- low, often closes due to insufficient snow (some would disagree). Not enough snow to open at the moment!

Glenshee
+ shorter drive
+ the largest ski area (my favourite)
- queues on some weekends and holidays
- road prone to closure due to snow, especially southern approach

My advice would be to book last minute, or stay in Aviemore (for Cairngorm, The Lecht & Nevis Range) or Fort William (for Nevis Range, Glencoe & Cairngorm) so you can head wherever's best on the day.

I'd disagree with those who say they only open the roads when they're fine for all vehicles. We drive a regular car, and have had problems driving in deepish snow on the way up to both Glenshee and The Lecht. I've heard stories about the Cairngorm road too. You'd be unlucky to get stuck, but it's possible - especially if you go the morning after it's snowed overnight. Over on the west coast, the roads to Glencoe and Nevis Range are lower, and hardly ever an issue.

Thank you that's some nice and easy to read information!

Glencoe and Glenshee are seeming the most viable at the moment
snow report
Strax wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps its better to enjoy the silence of the hills.. wink

You sir have made a very good point have a cookie Little Angel
snow conditions
Looking at the prices it's going to cost about £200 for a weekend!

Here the costing:

Travel by Car to Accommodation

5 Hours 44 minutes (328.8mi)

Petrol calculator = Aprox: Total petrol cost RETURN: £167.10. Cost per person: £83.55

Accommodation

20 minutes from Glenshee Ski Centre

£27.50 Per Person per night = 2x Nights= £55

http://www.bedandbreakfastsearcher.co.uk/detail.asp?id=28277

Lift Pass

£29 for the whole day = x2 days = £58

Total = £198.50

-----------------------------------------

It's not unreasonable but could a trip to Bansko be done for £300ish???
snow conditions
Agree with most of above except to say that Glencoe is generally much better for beginners than Nevis, where the green tows are almost always sketchy for snow and must emphasise how great the scenery is around these 2 areas. Nevis is awesome if you like empty steep slopes, but Glencoe has a wider variety of blues. Good access to a few longer blues off the chair at Nevis and the tows are much easier to manage so pluses and minuses to each area. They are easier to drive to as the road maxes out at just over 300m (at Glencoe car park) compared to about 650m elevation for Glenshee and Cairngorm.

Looks just a little too windy this weekend (and it's my son's birthday) but I'm definitely going to head up soon. Glencoe is under 5hrs from Manchester so must be under 6 from Sheffield. OTOH Aviemore is a good way further, but does have better nightlife. Might try SYHA Glencoe next time as I saw that it is walking distance from the Clachaig Inn. There are loads of accommodation options in either direction though.

It can take me longer to get home as I get tired now in my old age! I usually stop in Glasgow on the Friday night. Leaving after work would mean an unnecessarily late night (and likely difficulty in getting a decent meal). Setting off between 6.30-7am will get you to Glencoe, Nevis or Glenshee for the first lift. Have to leave by 6am for Cairngorm though! Cheap digs in the west end, lots of nice bars and you are on the right road for a quick getaway in the morning. If not worried about nightlife, hotels around Glasgow Airport or near the Erskine Bridge save having to get off the main road.
latest report
Those petrol costs are too high, unless you have a beast of a car. @£1.30 and 30mpg, you are looking at £130 not £170. I see you say a Corsa - 40mpg = under £100.

£300 to Bansko will be from Gatwick Airport, not your front doorstep. In fact Iglu will give you a headline price of not much more for a big resort in France. Now add on how much it will cost to get to the airport, add on ski transport/hire, add the cost/likelihood of time off work, add meals on slopes, subtract however much for the cheaper beer in Bulgaria and you'll have a better comparison of the actual costs.

Bansko reporting 70/10cm snow and light snow now, Glencoe 255/110cm and still snowing heavily!
snow conditions
what...snow wrote:
Those petrol costs are too high, unless you have a beast of a car. @£1.30 and 30mpg, you are looking at £130 not £170. I see you say a Corsa - 40mpg = under £100.

£300 to Bansko will be from Gatwick Airport, not your front doorstep. In fact Iglu will give you a headline price of not much more for a big resort in France. Now add on how much it will cost to get to the airport, add on ski transport/hire, add the cost/likelihood of time off work, add meals on slopes, subtract however much for the cheaper beer in Bulgaria and you'll have a better comparison of the actual costs.

Bansko reporting 70/10cm snow and light snow now, Glencoe 255/110cm and still snowing heavily!

Depends i normally drive about 80ish so my MPG is low! Did a calculator at about 30mpg to be safe but yeah as you say i should get 40mpg :S

All i know is that when i'm above 3/4k RPM i'm sure i can watch the needle going down haha Shocked

Yeah i take it that it'd probably work out a lot more than i first expected! Back to the Scotland plan!!!
ski holidays
Quote:

Looking at the prices it's going to cost about £200 for a weekend!

Here the costing:

Travel by Car to Accommodation

5 Hours 44 minutes (328.8mi)

Petrol calculator = Aprox: Total petrol cost RETURN: £167.10. Cost per person: £83.55

Accommodation

20 minutes from Glenshee Ski Centre

£27.50 Per Person per night = 2x Nights= £55

http://www.bedandbreakfastsearcher.co.uk/detail.asp?id=28277

Lift Pass

£29 for the whole day = x2 days = £58

Total = £198.50

-----------------------------------------

It's not unreasonable but could a trip to Bansko be done for £300ish???

Gotta say your probably not far off, for the weekend just gone these were what myself and my partner paid

Fuel = £0 I have a company car with fully fueled expenses - Obviously im in the minority - But we did 720mile round journey it works out about 8-10p per mile so £60-90 normally lets assume middle line = £75

Hotel - We stayed in a nice BnB down at Blairgowrie (old cross inn) which cost £120 for 2 nights BnB = £120
Food - We ate at the hotel, whilst probably a few quid more than some places, but worth every penny the average meal + 1 drink worked to about £25 per head so another £100 = £100

Ski Hire & lessons We hired skiis for the day+ 2 hour private lesson for the both of us = £36 for ski & £90 for 2 for people / 2 hours private = £126

Day lift pass for beginners = £17 p/ p = £34

So total cost for 1 day skiing in glenshee was £455

So yep probably could of done a midweek break in low cost resort for that lol But still worth it lol Smile
Shocked Shocked
snow report
Anyone got any idea how strong the wind needs to be to shut the resorts down?

My app is saying upto 60kmph on Sat and upto 115kmph on Sunday am Shock
latest report
medlington, it's hard to predict exactly, because conditions can very a lot even over small distances - depends on wind direction as well as a bit of luck.

My prediction for Saturday though is that Glenshee and Glencoe will be fine, perhaps with the Cliffhanger chair shut at Glencoe, and the Cairnwell chair shut at Glenshee. Cairngorm may possibly shut the top lifts but the Funicular will almost definitely run, which accesses the majority of the mountain. Nevis Range may have problems as the access gondola is vulnerable to wind, but could well be OK too.

For Sunday, I think Cairngorm and Nevis Range will probably be closed. Glencoe may open, and Glenshee probably will. But the open resorts aren't likely to have their whole area open - the more exposed parts will stay shut.

Snow conditions should be great though!
latest report
For this weekend keep a close eye on the latest forecasts and in the morning check the latest directly from the resorts, be prepared to be flexible with your plans in response to that! What is not in doubt is that the cover at Nevis and Glencoe is superb, Glencoe is even ahead of the peak of the epic 2010 season. Upper and mid mountain at CairnGorm and also Glenshee is also in good shape, so there should be good riding to be had.

If the forecast holds then there could be some higher and more exposed lifts closed on Saturday (direction - SW- rather than speed is a potential issue in places), but there should be a reasonable to good range of terrain open at the four open areas - providing windspeeds aren't above what is currently forecast. With wind speeds slightly lighter in the West, Glencoe looks the most promising for being open to the top given the direction is SW and the bulk of the mountain shelters most of the snowsports area from that direction. CairnGorm can offer the full Cas side of the mountain from just the Funicular, and the road shouldn't be an issue on Saturday.

Sunday is currently looking very wild at present, but there remains some doubt in the forecast due to a battleground situation between a rapidly deepening Atlantic Storm and a Scandy High. So we might yet escape with a less severe day than currently forecast. Skullie

In terms of wind shutting down lifts, wind direction can be as important as actual wind speed and also overhead conditions can come into the equation as well. The absolute limit for CairnGorm's Funicular is 70knots (approx. 80mph / 130km/h) at the tunnel mouth, whether you would want to ski in that weather is another mater! It is a serious struggle to stand on your feet in that sort of wind and in winter overhead conditions usually shut things down before that sort of windspeed. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
My advice would be to do it soon because soon you'll need to get your passport out at Gretna.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To underline the point of uncertainty in the forecasts winds are more Southerly than SE and good bit stronger than forecast for today, Glencoe, Nevis Range and CairnGorm are all stormbound. Glenshee however is open out to and including Glas Maol - so if the weather is iffy it's always worth keeping up to date in the mornings and changing your plan, it can be the difference between a wasted day and a day of freshies! At least the warm sector is making slower progress so far, snow is still falling to below the top of the Access Lifts in the West! snowHead
snow report
P3Nn, I have to say from personal experience (i was the passenger!!) that it is entirely possible to drive all the way to Aviemore at 56-60 mph to conserve fuel. It took forever though Smile

My vote would be to head to Glencoe. Book into the youth hostel and then you can stagger home from the Clachaig Inn at closing time.
snow conditions
Did I understand that the OP has only skied indoors and dry ski slopes? If so Aviemore and Glenshee (or lecht which is very small) might seem the most suitable resorts. Glencoe is small but full of character and along with Nevis has mostly more advanced skiing. Nevis is my favourite because of the steep back-bowl and easy access off piste.
ski holidays
Winterhighland wrote:
To underline the point of uncertainty in the forecasts winds are more Southerly than SE and good bit stronger than forecast for today, Glencoe, Nevis Range and CairnGorm are all stormbound. Glenshee however is open out to and including Glas Maol - so if the weather is iffy it's always worth keeping up to date in the mornings and changing your plan, it can be the difference between a wasted day and a day of freshies! At least the warm sector is making slower progress so far, snow is still falling to below the top of the Access Lifts in the West! snowHead

As the crow flies it is c.15 miles from Cairngorm to Glenshee but that makes a massive difference in the mountains as we can see from the situation today. Sad

We are travelling up tonight regardless as we have a non-refundable rate at the Coylumbridge so keeping fingers crossed for some skiing to morrow. Toofy Grin
snow report
I had a very interesting Saturday at Cairngorm. Shocked Shocked The morning report on their Facebook page said rain at car park and heavy snow above the mid station so as we were only 6 miles away in the hotel we decided to get up early. The car park was filling up by 9:30 but there was no uplift at that time as they were still doing final checks on the train. My 6 year and I got kitted up in driving rain/sleet/snow and got on the second train of the morning.

When we got out at the top I couldn't believe the conditions. The wind must have been 50-60 mph (later confirmed) with driving snow, both freshly falling and drifting. The visibility was about 10m. I felt like I was in a documentary on life in the south pole. Toofy Grin My son struggled to walk in the wind and within seconds his fleecy snood was pure white and he really did look like an artic explorer. The back of my neck was exposed and it was very uncomfortable. My son eventually got his skis on and was quite literally, blown backwards! He then said to me that this is what penguins must feel like. snowHead

There wasn't much in way of runs open at that point so it was a bit of a slog across the Traverse as it was a bit sticky with new snow. 105, Gunbarrel and Coire Cas had great snow but visibility was poor. Below the bottom of the Cas T-Bar the runs down to the Day Lodge were not in great shape with a mix of snow, ice and slush.

They eventually opened the Fiacaill Ridge Poma and the Cas T-Bar so there were other options to going all the way up to Ice Station Zebra on the train.

The conditions improved slightly later in the day but only marginally at the top. My son was getting a bit frustrated by the conditions at the top so we stuck to the Cas T-Bar until we decided to quit at about 14:30. By that time the queus for the train were out the door and down to the Day Lodge.

As you can see the snow as pretty good. My son is trying hard with his parallel turns! snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/NAt6YqXyPR4
snow report
I think they need to take the pipe cutter down the Gunbarrel to make it more authentic! snowHead

Gaza, glad you got some sliding in (even if it was occasionally uphill and backwards).

It looks like we have something of a break in the wind mid-week before another big storm rolls in on Friday. If you can get up mid-week for a slide then go for it. Glenshee, Glencoe and Nevis were open on Monday so have something of a head start on CairnGorm which is likely to see stronger winds on Tuesday morning due to the SE winds accelerating down off the Plateau. Plenty more snow to come on Tuesday, esp so in the East. Easing to showers on Wednesday with some brightness towards the West and then at the moment Thursday looks the pick with snow showers becoming confined to Glenshee and even there seeing bright spells and for once (!) light winds.

This was the Ski Patrol 'Rescue Station' at 2800ft at the base of the Main Basin T-bar that serves the upper slopes of Glencoe this morning at first light:

For comparison:

ski holidays
Have to say I will NOT be going back to Scotland in a hurry. The place is cursed I tell thee!

Started out with a quick trip to the docs before we left on Friday and he confirmed Ive got shingles on my foot so almost cancelled the holiday (Wish that I had now) Anyway we set off about 3 and made it across the border sometime after 6, got about 10 miles past Lockerbie when the car I was in hit a massive stretch of standing water just as we were changing lanes and started aquaplaning, then it fishtailed and spun 360 into the central reservation where we were stuck for about 20 mins. Somehow we all walked out of it alive but the car was a complete write-off.

The police took us to the services so we had somewhere to stay the night but as it was only 7 we decided we'd get a taxi to the nearest town and have a drink to calm down. So we ended up having a very nice drink in Biggar where we all discussed how lucky we were to be alive and that someone up above must have been looking out for us. So we got in the taxi to go back to the services and my friends wife (who had been driving his car earlier) slammed the taxi door on his finger taking it clean off. Now we had a 30 min race to the nearest hospital with his finger in a pint pot, they then sent him onto Glasgow Royal to see a plastic surgeon so his wife and I got in the taxi to go back to the services which promptly broke down in the middle of nowhere leaving us stranded yet again.

After getting up early to get a higher car we decided we would still go skiing as we were waiting for my friend to have his operation. Everywhere was shut except Cairngorm so we headed up there, by the time we got there after a 3.5 hour drive threw hellish conditions and got changed it was 2 but we were determined to get a few runs in so got cracking anyway. As soon as we got onto the funicular it broke down for 15 mins aswell so we ended up only getting about an hour on the slopes which I must say were far too flat and the conditions were pretty grim. Also my foot was killing so couldn't really ski very well either.
All in all an incredibly expensive holiday for 4 runs.

Now my impressions of Scotland may have been soured somewhat but Id say get a cheap package to Europe somewhere rather than head up there, the area did seem very small and limited and it was a very very long journey. Perhaps the other ski areas are better than Cairngorm but the weather seems so unpredictable it only seems worth it if you live local or are going up for a week and pick and choose the days you ski
snow conditions
Is a higher car different from a lower car?
ski holidays
Yes they only rent them to people with an inability to spell
snow conditions
ah... that makes sense then.

Now, about skiing in Scotland - it's not the alps, doesn't pretend to be, but it can offer the most amazing days of skiing anywhere, alas it can also offer some of the worst... but so can anywhere in the alps if you go on the wrong day.

How's yer mates finger?
ski holidays
Yeah I think we just had a very unlucky / bad weekend in every way, several of the people who went in the other cars really enjoyed it. I think I would have enjoyed it more if Id been snowboarding as I would have got more out of the limited terrain but thought a snowboard boot would have caused more trouble with my leg.

On the drive back we could see some parts that looked like they'd be amazing for touring and Im sure that Nevis and GlenCo have some slightly more challenging terrain too but its going to take something special to get me back there now.

Hes lost it all above the second knuckle so will have a reminder of the crazy day for ever now. he should be fine though once hes come to terms with it, could have been alot worse, he could have had several fingers in the door.
ski holidays
medlington, urrm, wow! Although it sounds like the worst of it wasn't related to Scotland or skiing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy