Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

best places mid march

Poster: A snowHead
I am going from march 13 for 4 days from London and want to hit snow sure mountains.

So far I have Zermatt and Chamonix. Flights to geneva are pretty cheap so I am happy with those. Any other suggestions? Crucial is time travel from London, so geneva resorts again seem to be good.

I don't know if les carroz is good at that time.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i mean to say contenders are zermatt and chamonix and possibly les carroz. i have read in various places that zermatt is as outrageously priced as I thought anything swiss would be.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mid March should be a great time to visit anywhere. Of course the weather can never be guaranteed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Amps - I had friends who went to Zermatt a year or so back and they didnt find it too bad. That said, you are talking about one of the world's premier resorts. I would be surprised if Chamonix was appreciably cheaper.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm, I went to Zermatt in 2008 and 2009 and it wasn't too bad then, exchange rate was 2+, now it's 1.5. On recent visits to Switzerland it has seemed very expensive. As an example a 6 day international pass for Zermatt is now £284. It's a fantastic place and everyone should go but expect to pay for it.

Mid March should be fine pretty much everywhere.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 31-01-14 10:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tignes/Val d'Isère are glacial, so certainly snow-sure. It's about a 2h30 drive from Geneva. Closer to GVA, Avoriaz is usually pretty good. Obviously Tignes/Avoriaz aren't the prettiest resorts, but the skiing's good - that's the important bit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I would be surprised if Chamonix was appreciably cheaper.

There are some cheap places to stay, and fairly cheap places to eat, in Chamonix. And ski passes should cost less in sterling terms.

amps, this is a strange season; at this stage I'd just book flights to Geneva and wait and see. But be aware that the French school holidays run till 15 March so accommodation for that period might be slightly difficult.

Normally you wouldn't need to be thinking about glaciers in mid March.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
amps, Les Carroz should be fine, Flaine even more so. In fact, there are very few places I wouldn't consider going to in mid-March. I usually, but perhaps mistakenly, think of mid-March as being the most snow-sure moment of the whole season. Snow quality may be starting to deteriorate during the day, but in terms of quantity it's usually great. I'm deeply sceptical about going anywhere before about 1st Feb too.

Have a look at the Ski Club of Great Britain historic snow levels.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Mid March should be a great time to visit anywhere.
Agreed. So totally spoiled for choice really.

In close proximity to Geneva, you can add Samoens/Combloux - great area for a few days (or more). Stay in Sallanches (Ibis Hotel - book online at Accorhotels) and it's about 15 mins drive to Combloux, where you can ski straight from the car park to a lift. Les Houches and the Chamonix valley are very near to Sallanches too. Valley accommodation in a proper town also means cheap food and drink wink.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I love skiing mid march, it is excellent, and high resorts tend to still have lots of snow, . I agree that skiing before feb 1st can be a dodge. Even if the snow is soft and slushy during the day it is still lovely.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all.

mountainaddict: I won't have a car.

hmmmmm, you all really think mid march is great anywhere? I was thinking of skiwelt originally, but thought it too low for mid march. maybe skiwelt is better on account of the french holidays. but I don't want to risk snow issues.

Anyone done skiwelt mid march?

I went to chamonix last year and really liked it, but I wanted to give something else a go. I didn't think it was that expensive. I just went to banff and was pretty shocked at the prices. oddly, europe is really a bargain.

I mistyped above. Sorry. I meant to say I heard Zermatt is not as expensive as one would think. Good to hear it's not.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No one been to skiwelt mid march?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi amps,

Missed this, I have done westendorf mid/late march twice. the first was 2011 last week of the season when it got warm early and locals said it was a bad year, we still had good cover up high and on N facing slopes. S facing (Brixen mainly) and the valley runs were dodgy/closed. The area is so big it is not an issue if you want pistes and we had a week of great skiing. Off piste could be pretty non existent. I think Soll gets a bit cut off from the rest of the area in bad conditions so Westendorf (North facing mainly) or Ellmau are better.
The following year, mid march was glorious, 1m in the village and everything open, even about 6" of fresh during the week.
Watch out for Dutch holidays, for some reason Dutch party week hits Skiwelt, especially Westendorf, hard! The very last week of the season they start to let the lower slopes go and stop some of the ski buses.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flaine is an hour or so from Geneva and pretty snow sure although most accomodation is full week apartments in the rsort itself. Maybe Samoens? It's well lift linked into the GM.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Decisions, decisions...

Grand Massif looks good.

Mountainaddict Sallanches looks far from the hills. Google maps says it is 40 mins from Samoens and I won't have a car. Is that area possible by bus? Les houches is close, and I imagine other places are close to sallanches, but I don't know how bus friendly the area is.

I found a hotel in Samoens, but it would be nice to ski another area as well while I am there. Don't know how bus friendly that area is. Chamonix (not far) I found very bus friendly.
snow conditions
Hmmm. The strange thing about Grand Massif is that it seems closer to geneva than chamonix is, but transfers are more expensive. Seems that 40 euro 1 way is the going rate, where as Chamonix is half that. It almost seems like Grand Massif is on the way.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy