Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help required to find a lost ski in Nesiko Japan - unusual request

Poster: A snowHead
I am hoping that someone out there may be able to help me out with an odd request!!

I was skiing in Nesiko for the last couple of weeks and on the last run of the holiday in waist deep pow my binding ejected (probably got caught on a submerged tree). I carried on for 10m or so on the other ski so it difficult to pin point the exact location of ejection (although I had a pretty good idea). However three of us spent 1.5hrs looking for it but unfortunately we had to leave to get our bus to the airport (which we made with 5 mins to spare!). So sadly my ski that has been used for 6 days is still somewhere off gate 5! I would love to get it back and was wondering if anyone out there knows of someone who locates skis in Nesiko with a metal detector? I know they have this service in Whistler so I am hoping it might exist in Nesiko. A google search didn't turn up much but in this instance its probably all about who you know. I have the GPS location (within 3m of the ejection) so it would be fairly easy to get to the point and scan for the ski if someone has a GPS or phone app.

Any leads would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Brent
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depending where it is on the mountain, I could go an have a look if I'm in the area in the spring. The bamboo grows up very thick very quickly so it might not be accessible. But drop me a message, sounds like it could be a fun little mission!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BMG, MagSeven, SH's never fails to astonish me with what can potentially be accomplished. Less than 3 hours and someone is willing to go hunt a ski in Nesiko - abso-bally-lutely marvellous place!!! Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And what to do with the ski once found?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's becomes my shot-ski?

I dunno, we can figure that out if we find the thing. One step at a time!

BMG did say that he was skiing waist deep pow. So he'll probably be back next year?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll have a look next time I'm in that area, and also ask around.

Brand? Model?

How far did you traverse?

No metal detector service that I'm aware of.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Pow, MagSeven, thanks for the offers, much appreciated. There is some hope yet…….albeit small!!

The ski is a Storm Devastator Pro. 183cm. It is primarily yellow. It has a Fernie mountain resort sticker on it. The bindings are Marker Griffons. White and blue, set to level 8 DIN.

With regards to the location – I can get the exact location from my mate who had the GPS watch. Describing it – that’s a little tricky. I’ll try. I cut across the traverse from Gate 5, and went around the first concave bend and then around the convex bend until I was under the face directly below the peak. Prob a ¼ of the way between the end of the convex bend and the ridge. I headed down from there and cut left a bit. I reckon the ski popped off in the first set of proper trees about 150m skiers right of the cornice. The gully above the trees leads down to the cat track at the point where there are currently a few orange markers to warn people about the huge hole in the snow – pretty much at the left bend before the walk out gets stepper. The markers are on skiers right as you exit the gully. I doubt that that makes any sense at all!! Let me get the GPS details from my mate and I can put it into google maps.

Do you know if ski patrol does a spring sweep of the area to “clean up”. As it is out of bounds I doubt they would however.

Cheers
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That makes sense. Well described.

Top lifts still closed. But will have a poke around when the gates open next.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
がんばって!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been dumping this morning.

Already 10 cm at my place. Much more up on the mountain.

Think it's gone for a good while unfortunately Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lovely thread and I hope it's found. I will be watching this thread in the spring!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Lovely thread and I hope it's found. I will be watching this thread in the spring!
+1!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
He's not the only one who's lost one - an Aussie friend of mine over for a few days lost one of his somewhere off Holiday on the Hirafu side. I'll get the details from him about make/model and put them here too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow wrote:
Top lifts still closed.

They're taking the rescue quite seriously then wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
peanuthead wrote:
And what to do with the ski once found?

yeah, the cost of repatriating ski with owner might outweigh cost of new Storm skis off Ebay - still tons of them on there.
snow report
Too late for some... http://www.resqski.com/
snow conditions
I'd say summer would be your best chance now! It might turn up though, apparently over 20 go pros were handed in this year.
latest report
Mike Pow, Yeah, I was hoping the snow would stop for a while, but it is Niseko after all. I have the exact location of the ski (give or take a meter or so). It is 42°52’40.11”N 140°40’00.34”E Alt is 909m. If you plug the details into google earth it will bring it up. I also have the gps tracker file. It will provide a pretty idea of the location. You can see all the trail looping around while we were looking for it. I can email it - cant figure out how attach it here. Although not sure how much help it will be. Cheers
latest report
Go for it, PM me.
ski holidays
Sorry BMG, we tried, but failed. We hiked up and managed to get ourselves to exactly where the ski went missing from your GPS log and co-ordinates, but we couldn't locate the ski.

As you can see, the bamboo has grown up incredibly thick which was very hard to get through and search in.

P1040735

We spent a fair amount of time hacking around, and found this Head ski, plus another K2 with Dynafit binding, plus a Countour HD helmet cam!

P1040732

We're going to try to locate the owners of the Countour from the images and video on the SD card!

So, yeah, sorry we couldn't help out. It was a fun little adventure though and we enjoyed the treasure hunt. We got this amazing view of Yotei too when we were driving into Kutchan.

IMG_5154
snow report
MagSeven, what a brilliant story - the spirit of snowHeads! Shame it didn't have a happy ending. And that last photo is stunning - would have been a perfect entry for the May competition.
snow conditions
you should go back with machetes Smile
latest report
Great effort MagSeven
snow report
Wow! snowHead
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
MagSeven, what a brilliant story - the spirit of snowHeads! Shame it didn't have a happy ending. And that last photo is stunning - would have been a perfect entry for the May competition.

I would have given that one a 10. Brilliant photo.
latest report
Amazing photo! Looks like it could have been taken in Tanzania!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy